Ba Xr8 Or Gt - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2005, 03:15   #1 (permalink)
xr chick

confused Ba Xr8 Or Gt

Now Ive Owned An Xr6 Im Looking At Going To The Top Of The Class By Purchasing A Mk2 Gt.only Problem Being The Cost Of Insurance On These Beasts Is Frightening $2000 Plus A Year,i Know These Babies Are Worth Insuring But This Is Ridiculous,my Only Other Option Is An Xr8 But It Doesnt Compare To The Gt,yeah I Know Its Got The Bulge And 18" Wheels.but Those Gt Wheels And The Push Button And All The Gt Details Are Just So Hard To Pass Up.ive Test Driven Both Cars And Would Have To Say The Gt Is A Completly Different Ride To The Xr8.whats A Girl To Do??????
xrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 04:13   #2 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Re: Ba Xr8 Or Gt

My best advice is to really hunt around for the best price you can get for the insurance, and don't settle on a car when its not the one you really want, cause you'll regret it later.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:25   #3 (permalink)

If you worried about the insurance you will be most upset about the cost of replacing the brake pads and rotors on the GT.If I have been told the truth the front pads are $1000 and the rears are $800.Every 2nd pad change you are supposed to change the rotors as well.I would go the XR8 and mod it.Your choice tho.Good luck,buying cars is a pain.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:54   #4 (permalink)
FF Moderator

I've owned a BA XR8 and loved it, but if I had my time again I would get a GT or GT-P without question. The insurance is worth it IMO.

If it has to be an XR8, then go Black. For some reason in this colour the difference between the two (GT/XR8) is less noticable.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:58   #5 (permalink)
Club Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrchick
Now Ive Owned An Xr6 Im Looking At Going To The Top Of The Class By Purchasing A Mk2 Gt.only Problem Being The Cost Of Insurance On These Beasts Is Frightening $2000 Plus A Year,i Know These Babies Are Worth Insuring But This Is Ridiculous,my Only Other Option Is An Xr8 But It Doesnt Compare To The Gt,yeah I Know Its Got The Bulge And 18" Wheels.but Those Gt Wheels And The Push Button And All The Gt Details Are Just So Hard To Pass Up.ive Test Driven Both Cars And Would Have To Say The Gt Is A Completly Different Ride To The Xr8.whats A Girl To Do??????

I pondered this very question prior to buying my GT's. Sure they are cheaper, but in the end you have to remember you are passionate about cars, and it doesn't just represent a means of getting from A to B. It's how you get from A to B.

You only get one bite at the cherry, unless you want it to cost you plenty of $$$. Get the car you REALLY want now. It may be a struggle initially, but in 18 months time you'll wonder what the fuss was about.

As far as insurance goes, both my GT's cost around the $1000 mark, so shop around. Taximan is half right, if you go to ford for pad replacement you will pay premium prices. In the case of brembos, which is what Taximan is talking about, Herrods offer items for half Ford's price. Again, shop around.

No offence intended to XR8 drivers, but if you buy the XR8 whilst always wishing for the GT, you will be mighty deflated next time you pull up next to one in traffic.

Bite the bullet. If nothing else, girls in GT's attract plenty of male attention, just ask my wife.... not sure if that's the idea, lol.
COUPEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:08   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrchick
Theres something really weird about your post, I'll give everyone some time to figure it out...

Every word starts with a capital letter!!!! That's freaky, that means you hold the shift key for the first letter of every single word how do you do it. Seriously though, don't take it personally, that just really really astounded me.

Oh yeah, go an XR8, they look awesome, and at least you don't have to pay a grand for pads. I even sometimes prefer the look of the XR8 over the GT or GT-P, those cars look a little overly done sometimes.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:50   #7 (permalink)
I love my FORD!

i agree with 73falcongt.... that is feaky, i thought that before i even read the words. also...

get the gt, its just that bit more special and your smile will be that bit wider every time you walk out to it in your driveway, keys in hand. :)
2003 BA FUTURA. Harvest Green, Lowered with Kings springs and Koni shocks, 18" GT-P mag wheels, XR front bar headlights and grill, XR rear spoiler, Fairmont Bootlid trim, XR6T snorkle, Typhoon second CAI, K&N filter, Pacemaker extractors with Herrod cat back, 3.73 LSD & CAPA FLASH with custom tune. ALSO 12" dual voice coil kicker, JL 5x7's and 1800W of amps!
dawal5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 15:50   #8 (permalink)
Conan

Sometimes if you link all of your insurance together (home, professional insurances, life etc) you can get a heap off - my GT-P costs just over $1000. It may also depend on how old you are...
Old 06-02-2005, 17:20   #9 (permalink)

Some companies offer cheaper insurance to women, just a thought.
Old 06-02-2005, 17:29   #10 (permalink)

Sounds like your decision will be based on finances... and if you think a GT will stretch it, then the XR8 is possibly a better choice. Although from what I have researched, on-going costs are not significantly different between the two. I.e. fuel, insurance, etc, etc. So it comes down to purchase price and re-payments (if financing).
Generally, a lot of forum members will probably say that if you're concerned about the costs, then go for something cheaper. Sure, the GT is beautiful but its not worth the financial stress it brings if you really stretched to get it.
TJS-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons