BA XR8 Owners - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2004, 16:10   #1 (permalink)
Australian Member

BA XR8 Owners

Hi all, any BA XR8 oxners, are you happy with your decision or should you have taken the XR6T. From what I have read they say the XR8 is slower and doesn't handle as well. Is this the case?
chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2004, 16:26   #2 (permalink)
Australian Member

Re: BA XR8 Owners

Further to my previous post, anyone done the full Herrods exhaust CAI and Chip on there XR8 - Results?
chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 17:37   #3 (permalink)
FF Moderator

On the strip the XR6T works out to be a tenth or two quicker in low kilometre stock form. On the street there is nothing in it, but it's the XR8 that actually feels quicker IMO due to the torque and sound. It would not surprise me that an XR8 with 10,000 kilometres or more on it would end up the faster weapon than the stock XR6T with the same km's, but we are still talking minor increments here.

The other thing is the 8 comes with a strong and better gearbox if thatís important to you. Having said that, they are both great cars and it will only comes down to personal preference in the end. If youíre not a v8 nut, and you donít particularly get off on the bulge and the V8 roar then you would be crazy to go past the Turbo.

However I do and I am unfortunately hookedÖagain!!

In modified form I think the turbo has more potential although itís early days yet. A CAPA Blown XR8 is one powerful machine and my personal preference due to its sound, perception and durability. However an APS Stage 3 turbo appears to be the faster strip machine at the moment with times in the low 11ís, but you best be prepared for some driveline investment.

Cheers,
Colville

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 18:29   #4 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

I would take an XR8 over a Turbo anyday. I've yet to lose to a turbo out on the street yet so I don't need to justify my purchase of a car that people say is slower. It sounds awesome and gets a better sound with the cold air intake and filter I have and I'm getting a second hand stainless steel cat back Herrod exhaust from a friend who's upgrading to a full twin system so it should sound even better. Don't forget how much better the XR8 looks and the attention it gets from other drivers and pedestrians. Everywhere you go people just stare at it.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 22:51   #5 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

in a Ute they are both the same price the XR6T is a car length quicker doesnít worry me, I think the 260 quad cam is better value than buying a 6cyl turbo, we get a much better auto/manual gearbox and a bigger diff, got have a bulge and that wonderful feeling of V8 GRUNT, witch the turbo doesnít have just a whistle. In a Sedan there is $5000 difference so people might look at it different again when there is more money involved. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Last edited by XRFPV8; 01-07-2004 at 02:28.
XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 23:48   #6 (permalink)
More horsepower required

Couldn't be happier. Herrods booked for the 23rd for unichip , intake and full exhaust .
Will post dyno results .
Fordhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 15:53   #7 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

I'm with XR8BOSS. That's what I have to tell people who wonder why I got the XR8 over the XR6T. Even if the XR6T made 20kw more than the 8, I would still get the 8. It was time for an 8, it's what I wanted. The sound, the power and the new bonnet bulge sure didn't hurt either. Hell, if I wanted the Turbo 6, I would have got one and saved some money!!

Track times are of no interest to me, I'm just in it for cruising the streets. Want to get my cold air kit soon, probably from Battens, with a BMC filter.

Venom BA XR8 - 5spd - Leather - Premium Sound - 18"s - King Springs-SSL/SL - DBA Slotted Rotors & Ferodo pads
D.N.A.
FPV XR Owners Club ACT
Charvel/Jackson Guitars
Genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 00:53   #8 (permalink)
Ingall Fan

Dad drives a XR6 Turbo ute as his work car and loves mums XR8 it sounds and looks better and goes and handles just as good on the road, has a better gearbox but a very differn't clutch set up.

The sound and torque rush of the XR8 would make me buy one every time over the turbo and disregard what the magazines say if they were that accurate then there wouldn't be 2 VY SS drivers and a VX clubsport driver dissapointed with there effort on the street.
240 T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 02:57   #9 (permalink)

I love my XR8 but haven't driven a turbo lately to compare. Its certainly feels and sounds better as the km's mount but sometimes I wish it was a manual although I'm glad I've given the auto a go. Next time hopefully the 6spd box is available. The sequential g'box is NO manual substitute particularly driving in and around the hills and coming into corners. I still love the bulge but launching is unspectacular without having to hold the brakes and rev to load the converter . Other gripes - Hesitates on for a second or two as if it cannot cope with the extra fuel/air before revs rise and the propensity to change to 1st on medium to 2/3 throttle openings is becoming a pain. A great country touring car though for this big wide land. Am always putting fuel into it which is a small tank issue rather than a fuel consumption issue. Love the sound system, the leather, the build quality (yes I too am surprised) the colour (Venom) and the 18's. I'm still surprised how few cars I have seen have the 18's.

People still admire it and - have I mentioned the bulge.
BeansNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:01   #10 (permalink)
Ford n00b

I'm afraid that i did prefer the XR6T, until i heard an XR8 being walloped up the road today, and DAMN. I'd fork over the extra folding just for that sound, the bulge, and the lazy towing power.
DeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons