BA XR8 Performance Fluctuation - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2003, 21:26   #1 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

BA XR8 Performance Fluctuation

I have an issue with my XR8 in that the performance doesn't seem to be consistent. Sometimes it pulls like at train at lower revs, say 1500 - 2000 in second gear, and other times it's as though the rubber band wasn't wound up all of the way, resulting in a lethargic acceleration rate. This also happens all through the rev range. Sometimes the power level is unreal, other times very ordinary. I've just had a computer swap done with the latest programme loaded (which apparently gets them going a bit quicker-according to someone who has already had it done), but i don't know that this will improve the performance consistency. I'm picking the car up from the dealer this arvo.
Has anyone else noticed this power variation?
FANTM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2003, 21:49   #2 (permalink)

I've noticed it in XR6T and just put it down to the turbo being fussy about the weather but I guess this could be a factor with any car. My old XY V8 used to be a bit like that too but I always thought that it just needed a good tune. Keep us posted how it goes with the computer upgrade.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 01:30   #3 (permalink)

XR6T engines have a oil temp sensor, if temp too high boost is reduced.
steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 03:03   #4 (permalink)
Driver of a BA XR8!

I havn't noticed that on my XR8, the only fluctuation that I noticed was one night here in Perth when it was hell cold! Actually went better. I havn't noticed that much difference in second gear, unless I take off in second instead of first, but after I hit 1000 - 1200 if flys!.

Alex

"Give me any task to do, and I will find something else to do in it's place." Plato - a definition of procrastination
maco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 12:30   #5 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

How sure are you that the acceleration differs from time to time?

I guess we all feel that the car is "different" every now and then. Guess depends on the psychological state more than actual facts. Time it with G tech or stopwatch and make sure.
Old 04-06-2003, 15:28   #6 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

The Computer was changed and later software loaded. Seems to be generally better. The dealers car with which my computer was swapped goes better with the upgrade as well. So it looks like it's worth going to the dealer and asking for this latest programme which they may not even know about.It was only stumbled on because of the computer change.

I knew the power was varying because of the engine note (crisp and throaty, or flat) and the lack of thrust. I was told though by the w'shop foreman, that if you put your foot down at low rev's the system struggles to recover. I would have thought computer technology would cover this. Anyhow it does seem to be more consistenty stronger after 3 days of driving.
Old 04-06-2003, 17:12   #7 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

I wiil also try an accelerometer as soon as I get hold of one, or even a stop watch on the 80 - 120k's in third gear compared to wheels or motor mag tests.
Old 04-06-2003, 17:16   #8 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

i have also noticed a drop in performance on my XT. Some days takes off good, other really sluggish. Its probably nothing (what I thought until I read this post). It can wait till the 15k service!
Old 04-07-2003, 03:05   #9 (permalink)

What engine is in your XT ?
Mongrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:51   #10 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

just the I6
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons