Ford Forums banner

BA XR8 Stalling Problem

48K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  cmnardella 
#1 ·
Apparently this is a widespread problem but I couldn't find any other threads on this.

I have a BA XR8 that stalls frequently. It happens around 1-2 times every 2-3 hours of driving, usually at idle or when the clutch in depressed (eg decelerating, coasting in neutral).

Spoke to Knox Ford about it who are going to re-flash the computer again and clean the throttle body but I'm not confident that this will fix it, as this has been done before.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how to fix this? It's totally ruining the driving experience. The car is modified but I've been told that a couple of stock cars (including one GT-P) are having the same problem.

#2 ·
My stock XR6 does this as well, though not nearly as frequently as yours.

Ford service departments have a habit of fixing things for a few thousand k's and then the problem returns. For instance the steering wheel 'click'. My car will be going back soon for the 4th time and this will be for a total of 12 business days off the road as a result of this issue.

Ford service departments cannot fix anything in my opinion, hence i'm very unlikely to buy another Ford again (even though a F6 does tempt performance wise), after sales service is just crap.

#7 ·
#12 ·
Fordy said:
Mine has gone back to Ford again today to sort my rough idle and misfiring, i'll let you know how it goes.
I hope they find a permanent fix for it, because it's getting quite annoying stalling in the middle of the road, and the rough idle like a rotory at the lights.

#14 ·
Typical of them to blame it on something else.
Last time i took my car in for the stalling and that, they told me when i went to collect the car that codes come up on the computer
Excessive wheelspin
Excessive Speed
Excessive engine Revving
Load of sh*t is what i say, just covering themselves up.
OK, i do a bit of the stuff they mentioned, but come on, i wouldve spent $15,000 on a hilux if i didnt wanna use the grunt i paid my $$$ for.
As long as the remainder of the 3 years warranty is there, keep bugging them,i will be.

#18 ·
Mine hasn't done the 4 cylinder bit for a long time but it has started to stall again after a few months of no problem. I think it has only done it when the air con is on. My new (update) pcm should be here this week, although I doubt if it will solve the issue. I'll maybe try blowing some thing through the butterfly.

#19 ·
On the XR8, check the crank angle sensor for moisture. I have had 8 months of bizzarre problems with mine, with no fault codes, misfiring, running on 4 cylinders, etc etc. PCM upgrades, checked coil packs, and everything else in between, then an eagle eye tech found moisture inthe connection on the CAS. This will cause all sort of dire problems. Since they found this, dried it and sealed it, not a problem, power plus and its back to fantastic...

#20 ·
Mr_GT said:
Typical of them to blame it on something else.
Last time i took my car in for the stalling and that, they told me when i went to collect the car that codes come up on the computer
Excessive wheelspin
Excessive Speed
Excessive engine Revving
Load of sh*t is what i say, just covering themselves up.
OK, i do a bit of the stuff they mentioned, but come on, i wouldve spent $15,000 on a hilux if i didnt wanna use the grunt i paid my $$$ for.
As long as the remainder of the 3 years warranty is there, keep bugging them,i will be.
None of these will come up as codes on the factory diagnostic computer.

#21 ·
DA Nokkabout said:
JIMMY THE FLASH can resolve you idle problems he has solved mine ....
Here we go again. Even my local tyre mart claims to be able to "flash the factory pcm" I feel we are over this edit thing. Come up with some hard facts and results (at least others provide tech info - thanks street tuner and aps) then I will listen. You are about 6 months behind posting baiting lines like this. We all know the real advantage can be used to adjust idle and rev limits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.