BA XT Lemon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2004, 18:29   #1 (permalink)

frown BA XT Lemon

Hi

I bought a BA Falcon from Strapp Ford in Burwood in Oct last year and these are the following problems Ive had with it:
Brake shudder (had it looked at three times (twice they have done something about, third time they're telling me its my imagination)

Steering wheel vibration (had this looked at 3 times aswell, twice they charged me for a wheel balance, third time they blamed the new exhaust that was put on - the car vibrates even when rolling in neutral...)

Rough idle on cold starts (had to tell them twice about this problem before they did anything about it)

Window washer jets (had to have it looked at three times, eventually fixed but the operation lever next to steering broke and they are refusing to fix that, instead wanting $300 for a piece of plastic)

Power window problems (fixed but, didnt put the door trim back on properly, had to go back to get that fixed)

Plastic backing on drivers seat came off (took a week to order the part in)

Diff noise (1st fobbed it off as not a problem, and eventually fixed the problem)

paint scraped under front and rear bumper on delivery (fixed only after kicking up a fuss, response was: what do you want us to do about it?)

Dash cracking sound (1st said creaking dash is not covered under warranty, had to contact other dealers, and found a dealer in SA that had a fix to the problem)

Oil Consumption (havent given me a good reason why the car went through 3 litres of oil in 10,000km)

Steering wheel clicks (clock screw had to be replaced - which led to air entering the power fluid and making the steering vibrate even more)

I have been really disppointed with the problems with this car, and everytime i take it back they manage to charge me with something, wheel balance, courtsey car, etc and costing me time when I should be at work.

It also annoys me how the service manager, Jarret Inness, has been quick to dismiss the problems as not being problems, or part of the normal operation of the car. (He tried to tell me today that if the window wiper lever had broken in the 1st few thousand km's it could be replaced but not after 30,000km) - implying that its only meant to last 30000km?

Their response was to contact Ford if Im not happy. The experience has put me off buying a Ford ever again.
biggiemomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2004, 18:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: BA XT Lemon

Yet another angry BA owner

All you unhappy BA owners need to start a club & start kicking up a fuss
Fireman Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 19:10   #3 (permalink)

sounds like your biggest problem is the dealer!
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 19:32   #4 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

If your alternative is to buy a holden, be prepared for the same sort of teatment. I know of a guy who bought his 4th Clubsport. When he didn't get satisfactory results and threatened not to buy another, the salesman said he didn't care, because they always sold the number that were manufactured. So for every customer they may loose, there is another stepping up to buy.
I have felt just as you do now, but after hearing other horror stories, I figured its just going to be the same somewhere else. For those of us who have had or are having problems there are a lot of very satisfied customers, and they praise the dealerships that we've had trouble with, sometimes you think there must be another dealership with the same name, because it can't be the one that you've had a bad run with.
If they get what they want out of you (money) and you want very little in return they are your best friend. Ask for a fair deal ( our fair not theirs) and they change. But mind you, some of those dealerships or branches do try harder than others, but the friendship is still limited by what you expect and what they believe is enough.
Old 02-19-2004, 19:40   #5 (permalink)
RACE

How about a thread with some good news!?

I have had two BA's. An XT 6cyl build date 9/02 I drove until it had 26000km, the only issue was a slight shudder when braking from freeway speeds which dissapeared eventually. Otherwise not a single problem.

My current ride is an XT V8 build date 1/03 and no issues so far with 5800km on the clock.
Old 02-19-2004, 19:54   #6 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiemomo
Their response was to contact Ford if Im not happy. The experience has put me off buying a Ford ever again.
No, your next point of contact is the dealer principle with Ford CRC. If the service manager isn't being appropriate in their work, then calm your nerves and speak straight to the dealer principle. Then once that has happened call Ford CRC and ask to lodge an official complaint against the service department.

Write down on a list the things you need fixed and your expectations on quality of workmanship and get the service dealer and yourself to come to an agreeance as to what is required. Failing that find another service center, you don't need to get the car serviced where you bought it. It doesn't make any difference to the resale.

Personally my last good experience was with Strapp Ford Kew, they fixed 90% of my problems I had (the last one the car ended up at Ford Motor Company being tested and fixed by their engineers) and I am quite content with their service.

Some people like New Oak Ford - GTP200 and GTP320 do.

My Team Leader at work drives an XR6T sedan and he loves Etheridge Ford Service (also happens to be where he bought his car).

So my advice is:
Write a list of what the defects are and ask to have them fixed - as non-negotiable items.

Be prepared to comprise on how long it takes to have some of these sorted (Strapp Ford Kew had my car for 7 days - I was in Sydney that week so that was handy).

If you really need a car - ask the Dealer Principle for the Service Managers car while yours gets fixed. You may not end up with it, but you might end up with a free focus or something for the few days (if this happens treat the car with respect and return it with a full tank of gas and clean, inside and out).

Make it known that you want these problems resolved before you will take ownership of the car - a drive around the block should be enough to convince you for handback.

Call Ford CRC and lodge a complaint about re-occuring problems, make sure your dates and times are documented as well as written proof that the same thing has been attempted to be fixed.

Failing that go to another service center - tell your sob story walking. Try and become friends with the service manager their by saying that you are only after something "that is on your side" when it comes to these things. Show that you are passionate about the car and you really do love it - its just hard to be a real fan with those experiences. They will come around. If not - keep walking and keep talking.

* Now in regards to your problems i'll address some:
* Steering wheel clicks - known issue, a fix is available and it works
* Power Steering Groan - known issue and a fix is available and it works (also try a few more PSI in your tires)
* Diff Noise - that has been fixed? good.
* Dash cracking sound - known problem, not sure if there is a valid fix (supplied by Ford Motor Company that is)
* Steering wheel vibration (wheel balances and exhaust?) - new exhaust? Is this a Ford Factory one? you don't mention if it is or if its after-market. Wheel balances you really shouldn't have to pay for in the first 5 - 10k.
* Oil Consumption - Engine wear-in period thats acceptable. If after 15k you are still drinking at that rate, then its a concern.
* Power window problems - fixed, good. Trim issues? thats just sloppy.
* Window washer jets - fixed, good. How'd you manage to brake that thing? its pretty solid!

Sounds like pretty minor issues imho. Most of them are fixed by recalls already in place.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 20:12   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmcginley
No, your next point of contact is the dealer principle with Ford CRC. If the service manager isn't being appropriate in their work, then calm your nerves and speak straight to the dealer principle. Then once that has happened call Ford CRC and ask to lodge an official complaint against the service department.

Write down on a list the things you need fixed and your expectations on quality of workmanship and get the service dealer and yourself to come to an agreeance as to what is required. Failing that find another service center, you don't need to get the car serviced where you bought it. It doesn't make any difference to the resale.

Personally my last good experience was with Strapp Ford Kew, they fixed 90% of my problems I had (the last one the car ended up at Ford Motor Company being tested and fixed by their engineers) and I am quite content with their service.

Some people like New Oak Ford - GTP200 and GTP320 do.

My Team Leader at work drives an XR6T sedan and he loves Etheridge Ford Service (also happens to be where he bought his car).

So my advice is:
Write a list of what the defects are and ask to have them fixed - as non-negotiable items.

Be prepared to comprise on how long it takes to have some of these sorted (Strapp Ford Kew had my car for 7 days - I was in Sydney that week so that was handy).

If you really need a car - ask the Dealer Principle for the Service Managers car while yours gets fixed. You may not end up with it, but you might end up with a free focus or something for the few days (if this happens treat the car with respect and return it with a full tank of gas and clean, inside and out).

Make it known that you want these problems resolved before you will take ownership of the car - a drive around the block should be enough to convince you for handback.

Call Ford CRC and lodge a complaint about re-occuring problems, make sure your dates and times are documented as well as written proof that the same thing has been attempted to be fixed.

Failing that go to another service center - tell your sob story walking. Try and become friends with the service manager their by saying that you are only after something "that is on your side" when it comes to these things. Show that you are passionate about the car and you really do love it - its just hard to be a real fan with those experiences. They will come around. If not - keep walking and keep talking.

* Now in regards to your problems i'll address some:
* Steering wheel clicks - known issue, a fix is available and it works
* Power Steering Groan - known issue and a fix is available and it works (also try a few more PSI in your tires)
* Diff Noise - that has been fixed? good.
* Dash cracking sound - known problem, not sure if there is a valid fix (supplied by Ford Motor Company that is)
* Steering wheel vibration (wheel balances and exhaust?) - new exhaust? Is this a Ford Factory one? you don't mention if it is or if its after-market. Wheel balances you really shouldn't have to pay for in the first 5 - 10k.
* Oil Consumption - Engine wear-in period thats acceptable. If after 15k you are still drinking at that rate, then its a concern.
* Power window problems - fixed, good. Trim issues? thats just sloppy.
* Window washer jets - fixed, good. How'd you manage to brake that thing? its pretty solid!

Sounds like pretty minor issues imho. Most of them are fixed by recalls already in place.
But why the hell should he have to go through all this hassle, whats so hard about fixing the damn car (and admitting theres a problem) properly the first time. Whats with all this denial.

Minor problems maybe, but its more than a minor pain in the ass when your car is in the garage & not on the road.
Fireman Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 20:39   #8 (permalink)
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiemomo
Hi

I bought a BA Falcon from Strapp Ford in Burwood in Oct last year and these are the following problems Ive had with it:
Brake shudder (had it looked at three times (twice they have done something about, third time they're telling me its my imagination) ................................

All I gotto say in response after working in the customer service industry is there is always 2 sides to the story.

Sometimes the customer is the problem!

Be good to have response here from Strapp as youve opened the discussion and laid your cards out on the table, and knowing how far Strapps goes to help it customers it just doesnt click right!

Last edited by laminge; 02-19-2004 at 21:00.
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 21:18   #9 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
How about a thread with some good news!?

I have had two BA's. An XT 6cyl build date 9/02 I drove until it had 26000km, the only issue was a slight shudder when braking from freeway speeds which dissapeared eventually. Otherwise not a single problem.

My current ride is an XT V8 build date 1/03 and no issues so far with 5800km on the clock.
I hear more good news than bad news about the BA falcon. Would I buy one if I was in the market?? - Yes.
Old 02-19-2004, 21:34   #10 (permalink)
Movin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminge
All I gotto say in response after working in the customer service industry is there is always 2 sides to the story.

Sometimes the customer is the problem!

Be good to have response here from Strapp as youve opened the discussion and laid your cards out on the table, and knowing how far Strapps goes to help it customers it just doesnt click right!
I agree Minge, i got my car from Strapps, the service in both sales, service and repairs has been second to none. I also know Jarret knows his stuff and the work there has always been very thorough, which is why you havent heard any complaints about them till now. I had brake shudder and and it was fixed promptly and properly, no problems now at all.

I'll let Russ expand on my comments as he's been buying cars off them and getting them servioced for years, we all know how picky russ is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons