Bad news for large car sales - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2005, 15:36   #1 (permalink)

Bad news for large car sales

Bad news for large car sales in the article below. Do you think people will get used to these higher petrol prices and return to large cars.

I'm going camping this weekend, there is no way I could cart 4 people and equipment in a small car so I'll be sticking with a Falcon for some time.

The Age 10/11/05

Quote:
Rough ride for thirsty local six-cylinder cars

IAN PORTER

MORE than 11,000 locally made large cars went straight to grass last month as sales of large cars showed signs of lapsing into freefall.

About half of Ford's production and almost 40 per cent of GM Holden's went straight into inventory, capping off what has already been a dismal 2005 for their best sellers, the Falcon and Commodore.

Sales of large cars for the year so far were down 14 per cent, but last month's sales were down 32 per cent compared with the previous October.

Estimates put GMH's inventory at about 15,000 unsold cars - a three-month supply - while a casual inspection showed that Ford's back lot at Broadmeadows is almost full of unsold cars, too.

It has been a depressing year for the typical Australian six-cylinder car, which many now find too big, too thirsty or too limited in what they can do compared with their imported rivals.

The GMH plant at Elizabeth is still running at 800 a day and will do till the start of the Christmas holidays. But sales of all Commodore variants last month tallied just 287 a day, 25 per cent fewer than the June peak of 383 a day.

GMH exported 218 cars a day in last year, so assuming a similar rate for 2005, GMH sold or exported about 500 cars a day in October. That means 300 a day - 6000 all up - went to grass.

GMH won't comment on its inventory position, but current stock levels might explain why the company started its Employee Pricing marketing campaign last month. It appears to offer deeper discounts than before, but only on cars built before July 1.

Ford averaged daily sales of 254 locally made vehicles a day in October, down 38 per cent from the June peak and barely half its current output of 520 vehicles a day.

That indicates as many as 5000 cars went into stock in October, less a few for Ford's small but growing export business.

Ford on Friday launched its own discount campaign, including a $2000 rebate on any BA Falcon and a $3000 rebate on any SX Territory, both of which have just been replaced.

Both companies have decided to maintain production rates to the end of the year because it is more trouble than it's worth to slow the lines, given the number of suppliers involved, and the distance some parts travel.

The companies are likely to extend the summer holidays by adding a week or two to cut down the inventory.

Mitsubishi launched its 380 model in the middle of last month and is still filling up dealerships and supply lines, so its October performance is not a good guide to how it is travelling.

Toyota had as bad a month as the two American companies, with sales of locally made cars dropping to 192 a day in October, 33 per cent down from the March peak of 287 a day.

This was less than half Toyota's production rate of 500 a day but, as the most vigorous exporter - about 300 a day last year - Toyota claims it has a relief valve.

"If we could, we would make more cars," said spokesman Peter Griffin. "Our exports markets are very strong."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2005, 17:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: Bad news for large car sales

Commodore/Falcon sales have definitely taken a huge blow thanks to people's knee-jerk reaction to the high fuel prices. Commodore is lucky to sell at 5000/month while Falcon is lucky to break 4000/month. That is sad. :( It's amazing how a few $ here and there change people's spending habits. I believe 4WD sales have taken a hit, too.
Old 11-10-2005, 00:06   #3 (permalink)

The thing I don't understand though, is the standard 6cyl falcons and commies aren't that bad on the juice.

All my mates with ricers that do 6-8 litres per 100ks, when standard, do more like 10-12 when driven like a wannabee fast-and-the-furious...

My outgoing AUII did 10 ltr per 100ks when driven normally...

18-20+ litres per hundred ks scares me... V8s driven mad or range rovers driven normally :)

When I bought my BA Ghia, heaps of dealers selling 5.4ltr models were bending over backwards to do a deal...
1965 XP Sedan in White
1974 XB GS Panel Van in Red/Black
2001 AUII Futura in Winter White
2003 BA Fairmont Ghia in Ice Mint < Current
fauxpas? pronounce it?

fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:25   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Commodore/Falcon sales have definitely taken a huge blow thanks to people's knee-jerk reaction to the high fuel prices. Commodore is lucky to sell at 5000/month while Falcon is lucky to break 4000/month. That is sad. :( It's amazing how a few $ here and there change people's spending habits. I believe 4WD sales have taken a hit, too.
knee jerk is definately right, i am getting bombarded by people calling me saying whats wrong with my car it is using too much fuel. 1 simple answer it is just costing you more. write down your km and if you work it out for the average driver it is not all that much more it just sounds like alot. i can understand couriers and transport winging as it adds up with alot of km but the average is about $10.00 a week your kids pilfer more out of your wallet than that. the price that is going to put cars off the road is 1.90 to 2.00$$ a litre from internal fuel stastistics. so you just watch how far it goes up it will!!!
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:00   #5 (permalink)
old B - new B

i know people around here that have traded there aussie cars for 4 cylinder jobs thinking it would save them money , and now they winge because the car is to small and it cost me heaps less to drive my BA falcon ute on LPG than it cost them to plug around in their astra ,etc.

i have to laugh at them ... but it is ripping our local car industry apart which is scary .
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:43   #6 (permalink)
Want Roots Blower

Ahhh, look... There's always people who are gonna want a V8 or any large sedan for that matter. This isn't the first petrol scare, and it wont be the last

Sure, 15 years ago petrol might have been half the price, but cars used twice as much.

I bet if I drove my XR8 to Darwin it would cost me a hell of a lot less than it would of in 1978 in an HZ 308 Kingswood.

Only milk and orange juice comes in 2 litres
XH ute. 5 speed, dual fuel.
wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons