BAII XR8 (A Sharpen up more than an overhaul) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2004, 03:05   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

BAII XR8 (A Sharpen up more than an overhaul)

Background:
Maybe you're an enthusiast, a loyalist or a fanatic who when reading the old battle stouch between the falcon XR8 and SS commodore desperatly wants the outcome to go one way or the other. I know i do.

It seems these 2 unique sedans in the world are so similar in terms of size, power and value for money yet it creates an intense rivelry known to man kind. For years both brands have traded punch for punch and year after year we ask for more out of these cars.

In fact one can argue that the whole Ford Vs Holden rivelry (in todays era anyway) stages to these 2 sports sedans.

The Facts:
The current BA XR8's potential has been slightly blunted by it's own sister the XR6-T. At $6k less it's not only faster, but lighter to boot. Comparing with the VYII SS, the fact remains that the XR8 is slower in a straight line in comparison. Lets face it, performance sells with a capital P in this category.

Proven on the track the SS is also quicker in the lap times. However the refinement on daily driving, bottom end punch, gearbox quality and interior appointments definitly goes the XR8's way. As a potential buyer and Ford nut i present my would likes for the BAII XR8. These so called "would likes" i beleive would be realistic in terms of development costs and would place the XR8 in a more solid position. As the title says it's a sharpen up more than an overhaul.

1. With a weight disadvantage i would like to see a 3.45:1 diff over the current 3.23:1 in the manual. (Remember what was part of the transformation of the EL2XR8 from the previous models)

2. Engine update of around 265-270kw.

3. 18inch Wheels standard (If Holden can offer it in the SS why not Ford)

4. Climate control included with the leather interior option

5. Revised suspension tuning and bring back the sharp handling in favour of the plush ride. Firmer front springs would be a good start. Sort out the inherit corner lean, not a welcome feeling in this sort of category.

Pretty much points 2 and 5 will require additional R&D costs, however the rest is really a reshuffle of the options list. I'm sure Ford will gain more wallets of the people, especially those who are on the fence of choosing an SS.

Cheers,
Gary.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2004, 03:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: BAII XR8 (A Sharpen up more than an overhaul)

Good call! Let's hope someone in power has the same passion for the product & has the same idea.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:18   #3 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

I dont see anything unreasonable there, quite logical really. Good luck with those SS's Gaz. :s6:
Old 03-15-2004, 14:52   #4 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

There's not much point in them doing those suspension changes, most poeple don't mind it how it is and it will never be good enough from factory for those of us that crave a lower ride height. I don't think there's a car out there that comes out low enough from factory besides some supercars, and even then, who knows?

As an aside, I saw the ad last night for the new Magna VRX, talk about 4wd suspension!!!

Venom BA XR8 - 5spd - Leather - Premium Sound - 18"s - King Springs-SSL/SL - DBA Slotted Rotors & Ferodo pads
D.N.A.
FPV XR Owners Club ACT
Charvel/Jackson Guitars
Genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 19:25   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTS220
Can already get Climate Control with leather - PLUS PREMIUM SOUND, AUTO HEADLIGHTS and ANALOGUE CLOCK!
Yes, but it should be an NCO (No Cost option) when leather is optioned.

Genebaby: I would have to disagree there, a few BA XR owners have outlined the softish front end and the bodyroll issue that was non existent in the AUII/III XR's. I think the ride height is fine, just the suspension rebound rates and bodyroll.

Cheers,
Gary.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
Old 03-15-2004, 19:48   #6 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

My suspension was fine but for the height, it's never low enough from 'factory'.

Venom BA XR8 - 5spd - Leather - Premium Sound - 18"s - King Springs-SSL/SL - DBA Slotted Rotors & Ferodo pads
D.N.A.
FPV XR Owners Club ACT
Charvel/Jackson Guitars
Genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 20:03   #7 (permalink)

I think it is very unlikely that there will be a power upgrade (Well I hope not just bought one last week) mainly because they put the F6 out at 270. gives them a nice spread

t6 240
xr8 260
f6 270
gt 290

I am betting on superficial changes new colours new trim options coupled with the new luxury pack option. BAII will just that with the new gearboxes and power upgrades for BB. Just my guess though.

James my black xr8 is always filthy Hadley.
JamesRhadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 20:21   #8 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

17s would stay because the cops like the idea.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 20:25   #9 (permalink)
BOFH

I wonder if they will supply a free sand bucket and spade as standard now?

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 21:56   #10 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
17s would stay because the cops like the idea.
Yeah but it's the SS that are having chronic tyre problems. For the mass market i don't think SS owners give a monkeys at the tyre wear from their 18inch wheels.
I also read that the Highway patrols will be buying equal XR8 and SS in their fleets so which ever gets a recall their fleet will not be left stranded.

In regards to the F6, it would be fair to say that this car will target buyers who previously drove Import cars, like the WRX Sti, Skylines Liberty GT's and even some Euro models like the BMW 330Ci.

Having an Xr8 with 270kw in my opinion will not effect the F6 market.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons