BA's with tinted windows - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 18:10   #1 (permalink)
Miss Fairmont99
 
feathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Fordforums.com.au
Age: 31
Posts: 1,169
BA's with tinted windows

I got my XR6 tinted yesterday, and since getting it home I've noticed that the tint doesn't go all the way to the edges of 3 of my side windows.
I called the tinter this morning and he says that this is the only way that they can do it, as, if it went any closer to the edge it would foul up when the windows were wound down.
I'm not particularly happy with this, and I will be taking it back to them to look at, as I have never seen another BA like that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tint_1.JPG (24.5 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg tint_2.JPG (24.9 KB, 188 views)
__________________
SINISTER BA XR6
Now gone to FORDFORUMS.COM.AU
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2006, 02:05   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
4vxc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 397
Re: BA's with tinted windows

thats a crap job! they did them like that 20 years ago, it shouldn't be like that mine go right to the edges and hasn't had a problem in 7 years. Solace do good work.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:10   #3 (permalink)
old B - new B
 
351cid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: sunshine coast QLD
Age: 50
Posts: 890
Re: BA's with tinted windows

hi feathers

i can see / and know about the gap you are talking about.
can you see a gap from the inside looking out ??

the AU and BA ( both have same window rubbers ) can be a bit tricky to get right and some times there is no option but to have a gap that you can see from the outside.
you should not be able to see a gap from the inside.

the reason for this gap is that the window fits tight againt the rubber and you cannot get the tint to slide in between the glass and the rubber.
the tightness of the rubbers seems to vary a lot between cars , some fit extremly tight and make the window drag and others you can slide a peice of paper between.

the design of the rubber alows you to see much more of the window glass from the outside than from the inside and makes the edge of the tint more noticable than on most other cars.

as a window tinter myself this is very frustrating when your trying to get a job just right.

after saying all that .... there are a lot of dodgy window tinters around and it is still worth getting checked out.

if you can see a gap from the inside , i would be asking them to have another go .

just out of couriosity ...... what kind of tint did you get.
__________________
dave
`75 XB FAIRMONT SEDAN injected 351, toplaoder, disc brake 9", factory paint+ vinyl roof.
`03 BA XLS ute - lpg, auto, lsd, acid rush paint,
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:34   #4 (permalink)
Miss Fairmont99
 
feathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Fordforums.com.au
Age: 31
Posts: 1,169
Re: BA's with tinted windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc
thats a crap job! they did them like that 20 years ago, it shouldn't be like that mine go right to the edges and hasn't had a problem in 7 years. Solace do good work.
The Solace outlet right near my house closed down 4 months after I got my last car tinted there, or else I would have gone back.
I will be taking the car back in this week for them to look at.
__________________
SINISTER BA XR6
Now gone to FORDFORUMS.COM.AU
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:40   #5 (permalink)
old B - new B
 
351cid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: sunshine coast QLD
Age: 50
Posts: 890
Re: BA's with tinted windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc
Solace do good work.
it all depends on the guy doing the job , if you had seen some of the jobs i`ve seen with their name on it you might be more wary.

just buying a franchise dosnt make a good tinter.
__________________
dave
`75 XB FAIRMONT SEDAN injected 351, toplaoder, disc brake 9", factory paint+ vinyl roof.
`03 BA XLS ute - lpg, auto, lsd, acid rush paint,
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:47   #6 (permalink)
Miss Fairmont99
 
feathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Fordforums.com.au
Age: 31
Posts: 1,169
Re: BA's with tinted windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351cid
hi feathers

i can see / and know about the gap you are talking about.
can you see a gap from the inside looking out ??

the AU and BA ( both have same window rubbers ) can be a bit tricky to get right and some times there is no option but to have a gap that you can see from the outside.
you should not be able to see a gap from the inside.

the reason for this gap is that the window fits tight againt the rubber and you cannot get the tint to slide in between the glass and the rubber.
the tightness of the rubbers seems to vary a lot between cars , some fit extremly tight and make the window drag and others you can slide a peice of paper between.

the design of the rubber alows you to see much more of the window glass from the outside than from the inside and makes the edge of the tint more noticable than on most other cars.

as a window tinter myself this is very frustrating when your trying to get a job just right.

after saying all that .... there are a lot of dodgy window tinters around and it is still worth getting checked out.

if you can see a gap from the inside , i would be asking them to have another go .

just out of curiosity ...... what kind of tint did you get.

I went to Solartint, and got the Charcool 35% film.

There is no gap from the inside, but they got the tint all the way to the edge on the drivers door. The rest of the doors have gaps, and some are uneven.
Like I said I have never seen another AU or BA done like this, and since the windows have been the same on these models for ages, they should have known, and told me it was possible that this might happen.

It looks absolutely shithouse from the outside.

But I'll take it back on my next day off, and my father will be comin along as well, and we'll give them the chance to recitfy it. Otherwise I'll be calling head office to get it sorted out.
__________________
SINISTER BA XR6
Now gone to FORDFORUMS.COM.AU
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:50   #7 (permalink)
Miss Fairmont99
 
feathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Fordforums.com.au
Age: 31
Posts: 1,169
Re: BA's with tinted windows

The receipt says that 2 people worked on it. The branch manager and another guy.
I don't know, but if I was the branch manager I'd be double checking and triple checking the job before I let the customer come back for the car.
__________________
SINISTER BA XR6
Now gone to FORDFORUMS.COM.AU
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:09   #8 (permalink)
nhanst
 
nhanst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Geelong
Posts: 100
Re: BA's with tinted windows

Have had all my cars done but not one turned out like that, you might want to get your $$$$ back and try someone else, still shouldn't happen though. Some businees people just don't take pride in there work....
__________________
BF XR6 TURBO 6SPD AUTO 19 INCH G.T.P WHEELS LOWERED WITH KING SPRINGS
_______________________________ & K & N FILTER._______________________________
nhanst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:28   #9 (permalink)
old B - new B
 
351cid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: sunshine coast QLD
Age: 50
Posts: 890
Re: BA's with tinted windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
I went to Solartint, and got the Charcool 35% film.
have you noticed any differance in your radio reception.
i will try to attach a letter from ford about window tint on BAs that most tint shops dont want to know about.

hah got it to work finally.

be very wary of any non metalised window films/tint that is a plain dyed film. most of them will turn purple and some just loose their colour completly.

i believe the best film for these cars is the 3M scotch tint - colour stable black film which is a carbon based tint , has no dyes , has no metals, has a nice clean black colour ( i think the blackest of any legal tint ) and is garenteed not to turn purple. i have it on my own BA ute and its after 2 1/2 years it still looks like new , as it should. and my radio reception is the best i have ever had in a car.
this is the only high quality film i am aware of that has been specificly designed to suit the new cars with window mounted aerials

i was told [ by a little birdy :) who should know ] that the 3M carbon tint was the only tint that ford tested that they could not detect any interferance in the radio but they will not publise the test because they dont want to be seen as picking favortisim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA falcon tint - letter from ford.jpg (115.7 KB, 114 views)
__________________
dave
`75 XB FAIRMONT SEDAN injected 351, toplaoder, disc brake 9", factory paint+ vinyl roof.
`03 BA XLS ute - lpg, auto, lsd, acid rush paint,
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:11   #10 (permalink)
Miss Fairmont99
 
feathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Fordforums.com.au
Age: 31
Posts: 1,169
Re: BA's with tinted windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351cid
have you noticed any differance in your radio reception.
i will try to attach a letter from ford about window tint on BAs that most tint shops dont want to know about.

hah got it to work finally.

be very wary of any non metalised window films/tint that is a plain dyed film. most of them will turn purple and some just loose their colour completly.

i believe the best film for these cars is the 3M scotch tint - colour stable black film which is a carbon based tint , has no dyes , has no metals, has a nice clean black colour ( i think the blackest of any legal tint ) and is garenteed not to turn purple. i have it on my own BA ute and its after 2 1/2 years it still looks like new , as it should. and my radio reception is the best i have ever had in a car.
this is the only high quality film i am aware of that has been specificly designed to suit the new cars with window mounted aerials

i was told [ by a little birdy :) who should know ] that the 3M carbon tint was the only tint that ford tested that they could not detect any interferance in the radio but they will not publise the test because they dont want to be seen as picking favortisim.
It has a lifetime warranty, and the manager said it would not affect the reception. (though considering that he's trying to get out of fixing the tint, I should probably check. I listen to CD's more anyway).
__________________
SINISTER BA XR6
Now gone to FORDFORUMS.COM.AU
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:53.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.