"Battery" light on AU1 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2007, 21:47   #1 (permalink)

"Battery" light on AU1

I've just bought an AU1 Futura wagon, and aside from a few minor problems which will eventually be fixed, the only one that's nagging me at the moment is that I get an intermittent battery light come up on the dash.

Driving around normally, there's not usually a problem. This morning I started the car and got about 2k from home and realised the light was one (had it come on, or been on since I started?). Did a double take on the situation and headed home, and the light went off so I decided to risk the trip and had no issues for the rest of my 25k trip to work.

The other time it has come on is when I give the car heaps of gas and let the engine run out past about 2.5-3krpm. The light flickers a couple of times and stays on until you bring the car back down to cruising rpm (<2krpm).

It's been pretty cold and wet lately, and the car lives outside, but this isn't normal from my experience (onto my third falcon and 5th car). There's 160,000km on the dial.

What's this likely to be, and is there an easy/cheap fix that's not gonna cause problems down the track?
Jonchilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2007, 03:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: "Battery" light on AU1

Hello,

Sounds like the alternater. If you are lucky it is just brushes, but the whole thing may need to be replaced.

Weazle
Weazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:58   #3 (permalink)
fordmech

This was/is a very common problem for AU1 since they were new. The diode bank inside the alternator is gone and the alternator light will come on when you rev the engine past 3000 rpm. As the problem gets worse it will start doing it regardless of engine rpm. When these cars were still under warranty they had to be retrofitted with a different brand of alternator (Mitsubishi rather than Visteon) to stop the concern. They have the same size and mounting points but the wiring plug has a different shape (there is a conversion kit you can buy from Ford still) and a bigger main cable connector (you have to drill the terminal on the cable a couple of mm bigger). My advice to you is don't try to recondition this alternator or buy a reconditioned/second hand one that fits straight up into your wiring connector UNLESS you're 100% sure that your car had this replacement already done at some point during its life, which I don't think it has. cheers
marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:52   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazle
Hello,

Sounds like the alternater. If you are lucky it is just brushes, but the whole thing may need to be replaced.

Weazle
maybe lose fan belt or regalater to buy about $40
qik40t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 20:34   #5 (permalink)

Hey guys,
I've replaced the alternator with the mistubishi unit that coventry's had listed for my car.

Just one problem with the 'sensor' wires on the alternator (not the high current ones, the ones that need the new plastic connector.
Plugged in one way, I get a 4A drain from the battery with the car off and key out of the ignition.
The other way around, I get the battery light come up on the dash (even though we see 14.5V at the battery) and when the car is off, we get the oil and (i think) ABS lights stay 'half' lit on the dash.

I've left it unplugged at the moment, and everything is running fine, but I can't figure out what to do with these wires.

And has anyone had a brand new engine belt snap after 10 seconds of idling?
Mine did and it ripped off the crank pulse generator and caused quite a headache. Was a genuine belt from Ford too...
Old 11-25-2007, 22:04   #6 (permalink)
fordmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonchilds
Hey guys,
I've replaced the alternator with the mistubishi unit that coventry's had listed for my car.

Just one problem with the 'sensor' wires on the alternator (not the high current ones, the ones that need the new plastic connector.
Plugged in one way, I get a 4A drain from the battery with the car off and key out of the ignition.
The other way around, I get the battery light come up on the dash (even though we see 14.5V at the battery) and when the car is off, we get the oil and (i think) ABS lights stay 'half' lit on the dash.

I've left it unplugged at the moment, and everything is running fine, but I can't figure out what to do with these wires.

And has anyone had a brand new engine belt snap after 10 seconds of idling?
Mine did and it ripped off the crank pulse generator and caused quite a headache. Was a genuine belt from Ford too...
Hi Jon
First of all, You HAVE to plug those wires in. They're the ones that power up the diode bank inside the alternator, without them connected your battery will NOT get charged at all. They can only go in one way for this to work properly and that is to keep the same color wire in the same position from the old plug to the new one. I don't remember exactly which one goes where off the top of my head but I can look it up for you if you like.
If you have another problem after the connector is plugged in you need to address this as a separate issue, from your description, it will either be a current draw or a poor ground issue.
As for the belt, there's a couple of things that can cause that to happen. If I were you I'll be spinning every single pulley by hand before putting another belt on, sometimes one of them locks up and causes this drama. Pay special attention to the a/c when the compressor is on. Also, look at the crank pulley to see if it looks out of alignment as the rubber in the middle dislodges causing the outer part (where the belt seats) to move forward. cheers
Marc
Old 11-26-2007, 01:48   #7 (permalink)

Ok, I've installed the wires the same way they are on the old one (W/R on the right, Y on the left - looking from behind the plug with the connector locking tab on top).

I'm getting the Oil and Park lights stay half lit when I remove the keys from the car, and the battery light stays lit when I start the car.

No current drain in this configuration.

Is the new alternator fubar? Or the car?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:47   #8 (permalink)
fordmech

OK, I've looked it up, you've hooked up the wires in the right position. So that's not the problem. And I'm assuming you've checked all your fuses...?
Now, what is the volage at the battery with the engine running? This will tell you if the alternator is charching or not. If its still not charging check that those 2 wires are actually doing something, I mean, with key on reds you should have battery voltage between them. If one of them is broken the batt light will stay on. If all this is good (the 2 wires are powering up the alternator and the alt is actually charging) then check the battery terminals, see if they're loose or corroded, then check the main earth strap between the block and the body. On some cars we've had to fit an extra earth between the batt negative and the engine block (anywhere) due to gauges playing up and warning lights staying on. see how you go. cheers
Marc
Old 11-26-2007, 03:24   #9 (permalink)

I see around 14.5V charging with the connector plugged in.
I also see around 14.5V charging with the connector unplugged (???)

At the connector, I see 12V when the car is off, and 1.1V when the ignition is 'on' but the engine stopped.
The figure is around 0.85V when the engine is running.

Checked every fuse inside the car (near my right knee) and in the engine bay (left side) and they're all ok.

Battery terminals have been cleaned and checked.

I think it's that 1.1V I see when the key is "ON" (and 12V when it's off) that's the problem. Might be time for an auto-sparky once the bike is running again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons

Related Reading: "Battery" light on AU1