bolt replacing when head removed?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2004, 02:57   #1 (permalink)
what u lookin at

bolt replacing when head removed??

has anyone had any problems when reusing old head bolts on OHC motor,
or had their head go too "soft" to be used

READ THIS it says bi-metallic enges have special head bolts.....

the head on my EB got done a while ago and all origanal head bolts were used except the broken one which was replace with an AU one i think? so am curious to know if i should replace them at a later stage

whats ur opinion
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2004, 03:02   #2 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Re: bolt replacing when head removed??

the head bolts stretch once torqued to specs and will most likely bottom out before actually reaching the required torque setting if re-used. I'd be replacing them

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:05   #3 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

WHAT.. you only replaced 1 bolt thats crazy... if a mechanic done it id have a real go at em.. trade price is 1.90 per bolt for au ones.. if one snapped didnt u think the otheres will for 25 od bucks worth of bolts i carnt belive people still dont doo em
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:40   #4 (permalink)
what u lookin at

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJECTED250
WHAT.. you only replaced 1 bolt thats crazy... if a mechanic done it id have a real go at em.. trade price is 1.90 per bolt for au ones.. if one snapped didnt u think the otheres will for 25 od bucks worth of bolts i carnt belive people still dont doo em
yeh it was actually my brother 14 years experience (tranny rebuilder tho) and also done a worked at a couple ford dealers, usually does a top job, ill have to ring him and ask him to be certain, though im pretty positive he only replaced 1 bolt, ill giv him a blastin if he did....

can i just take out the head bolts and replace em with new ones?
Old 11-09-2004, 04:37   #5 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

IMO I wouldn't worry about it mate. I've done 4 head swaps and only used new bolts once and they had a terrible head design and rounded off easily so I got rid of them and used the original ones again. Most recently I put an EF head on my EA and used the old EA bolts from one of the wrecks me and Sunny got. Obviously you shouldn't use the bolts if they have corrosion on them (which i've seen sometimes) but generally I think changing the bolts is over-rated.
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:20   #6 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

Chainging bolts is not over rated. THe head of the ea-el bols snap of without warning there a faulty bolt, the head of this bolt can go into youre timing gears and fuk ya motor has happend before. Never seen an au head bolt snap, and ive done 40-50 head gaskets, seen heaps of ea-el ones, most common cause of gasket fault is the head bolts shitten em selfs

THe design of the au bolts is fine if u are using decent tools and keeping the socket square on the bolt, a good single hex impact socket is fine. This has been covereed many times so its up to u
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:25   #7 (permalink)
what u lookin at

would it be ok then, to replace the head bolts without having to machine the face and replace gasket?
Old 11-09-2004, 05:34   #8 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

If you change them, you wiould probably want to do head gasket too. If the engine is stock, the head bolts should be ok but they will cause the head gasket to blow sooner than if they were new bolts as the torque will not be up to specs.

No one should really reuse TTY head bolts. It is widely known that their torque values on reuse are not accurate and they are also more likely to break. They are not expensive to replace either.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:49   #9 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

why wouldn't the torque be up to spec? Surely if you had a used bolt and torqued it to 120Nm then it's torqued to 120Nm....same as if you torqued a new bolt to 120Nm, then it's the same. I know the bolts stretch but they aren't going to tighten themselves once they are in.

INJECTED 250 - since u've done some many heads, you might know....are the EA-EL bolts different in construction (not just looks) to the AU bolts? I heard they were and that AU bolts should definately not be re-used but EA-EL was ok.
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:00   #10 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHELL
why wouldn't the torque be up to spec? Surely if you had a used bolt and torqued it to 120Nm then it's torqued to 120Nm....same as if you torqued a new bolt to 120Nm, then it's the same. I know the bolts stretch but they aren't going to tighten themselves once they are in.
It's not about the torque it's something to do with clamping force. I am no expert on this but I believe the bolts stretch as they are torqued down and the stretch is calculated into the final torque values. Not totally sure on this but it has been debated on alot of forums so a google search should answer this better. Also, the torque specs for the I6 are not given, they say something like torque to xxNm then turn a futher 3/4 of a turn (can't remember the exact specs). This method would take into account the correct stretch of the bolt and the clamping force it will provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHELL
are the EA-EL bolts different in construction (not just looks) to the AU bolts? I heard they were and that AU bolts should definately not be re-used but EA-EL was ok.
Other way around. EA-EL bolts are Torque-to-yeild and should not be reused. The AU' bolts are not so can technically be reused if in good condition.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons