Ford Forums banner

BOSS 5.4L V8 Porblems.

22K views 50 replies 27 participants last post by  Luke 
#1 ·
G'day

Im currently looking at purchasing at BA XR8 Ute. Given that ford has just introduced the new BOSS 5.4L V8, just inquiring if there has been any problems with this motor so far.

Cheers.

#29 ·
Yep, that's about right. Between 400 to 500km per tank combined highway/city driving, but when I refill it only takes 50 to 55 Litres so there's another 13-18 Litres in there somewhere. You'd go further on a highway trip on cruise control since I watch the real-time economy float between 8 and 12L/100km at highway speeds. It's done about 3600km now so economy should have reached it's final point.

I average between 12.5 and 14.5 L/100k of quite spirited driving on the combined city/highway stuff. The fuel consumption from the technical brochures then seems quite accurate to me (10L/100 highway, 14.5L/100 City).

I seem to be getting better economy out of standard ulp. I put pulp in every few tankfulls for the cleaning agents, but it seems to use more on this stuff (Gets up to 15.5). I have mainly been using Shell Optimax PULP and Shell ULP for the Fly Buys.

Then again, my driving style isn't always entirely consistent......

Since this is all within expectations, and for the most part less than the 16L/100km I had originally budgetted for, all this adds up to one happy camper right now.

Lukeyson

#30 ·
Luke Plaizier said:
It's done about 3600km now so economy should have reached it's final point.

Lukeyson
Luke, you will find that you have far from run in your Boss engine yet, in the GT forum we have been finding that at around 10,000k's you start to feel the real potential of the engine. I have done 12500km now and it wasn't until 10,000ks that the economy stopped getting better, you should find your machine will drop another point on fuel economy before it reaches its final point

#34 ·
Re: Just Ordered

DrSnooper said:
Ordered my XR8 on the 12th Sept, gets born on Tuesday the 23rd, just cant wait
WTF! I ordered my XR8 on 6th August & am still waiting...... :wtf:

#36 ·
congratulations guys on your xr8 purchase's you wont be disappointed...
cant get enough of this...

#39 ·
GXL Guy

I have ordered the following

XR8 Mercury Silver, SSS, Leather, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Boot Liner, Boot Scuff

The leasing company apparently puts heaps of orders through this dealer and that maybe the reason why he can source some models quicker. I was told even if I ordered the same in a XR6T it would be 3 to 4 weeks. Best thing about it is the price as I could never have afforded an XR8 in retail.

Regards

DrSnooper

Regards

Tony

#40 ·
DrSnooper,

sounds great - I'm sure you're going to love driving it. They are a tecnological marvel & sound sooo goood.
My dealer called me yesterday & said mine will be ready on Friday arvo - can't wait....
PS what is SSS?

#43 ·
DrSnooper,

it arrived Friday lunch time. WOW what a car!!! I can't believe how quick it is & how nicely it handles. Ford have certainly got a winner here. Have you taken delivery yet?

#45 ·
DrSnooper,
my engine went in around 13th & I picked the car up on 26th, so 2 weeks seems about right. I am in Brisbane, so depending where in Oz you are, shipping may add to the delay.
I have just taken some pics (unfortunately not Digital), so as soon as I scan them, I'll put 'em up on the site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.