A bunch of Q's on '73 Falcon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2004, 01:28   #1 (permalink)

A bunch of Q's on '73 Falcon

Ok, I got alot of questions about my '73 Falcon 500 Wagon.

1. How do I equalise the handbrake? its 20% oneside, 180% the other apparently (w.o.f testing).

2. Whats the best way to fix the upper door hinge (right drivers)? its dropped a bit, and it looks like it needs new sleeves or something, its quite loose.

3. Where would the best place be to chuck an LPG cylinder? Im thinking under the car so I can keep the room in the back, which is the reason I got a wagon.

4. How do I fix play in the steering box? Power steering (thank my lucky stars), it wobbles a little before it steers, I think it could just be a slightly loose linkage somewhere.

5. V8 conversion or not? , its got a 3.3L in it at th moment, 200ci, high compresion.
What would I need, apart from mounts and a new box to complete the conversion? What would you guys suggest for the gearbox? And what should I get to keep the column change?, or would the curent box (3 speed manual, all syncro, supposed to be heavy duty) do the job, th v8 isnt gonna be suppa-duppa hp mill, just standard to an extent, maybe 250hp max.
The v8 is a 302 Windsor. And I already have it.

6. Q's about the 302, what sort of dizzy should I get? SIngle, double point, or elec?
Manifold? Should be suited to LPG.
I also need the gears, flywheel, possibly drive shaft, plus alternator mounts, powersteering mounts, and can I use the 6cyl starter at all?
And what cost am I looking at for all this?

7. Should the rear be upgraded to disc brakes for the 8 pot?

8. Im a bit of a v8 nutter and would love to whack the 302 in, but would I be better off finding an alloy head the the 6, or maybe getting another (250ci) 6cyl?

Toodles!

Falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 10:54   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: A bunch of Q's on '73 Falcon

Welcome to Ford Forums Falco!

1 - Don't know.
2 - I thought you could get hinge repair kits - Rare Spares should be able to point you in the right direction.
3 - Under the car, but most people then run the spare in the back.
4 - I'd book it in for a wheel alignment and a front end check. At the same time they can adjust the steering box for you if required.
5 - Depends what you want the car for. V8 is nice but not practicle in all situations.
c-4, toploader (3 & 4 spd), single rail 4sp would all go nicely behind the windsor. Not sure what would hook up to your column change.
6 - Dizzy - single converted to electronic. Have a look at pertronix.
7 - No, wasn't on the factory V8's, and my 1979 factory V8 ute ran drums...
8 - if you really want the 8 - go the 8, don't mess with something you are not going to be happy with.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons