Buying a '70s Falcon/Fairlane - advice please! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2004, 20:41   #1 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Buying a '70s Falcon/Fairlane - advice please!

Hi Guys

New to the forums here but have been doing some browsing already... in case you hadn't figured it out already, I'm in the market for one of the above. Of course, I really want an immaculate and original XB GT but there aren't enough fun vouchers to hand for one of them, sadly. What sort of car could I reasonably expect to but for around $4,000? Oh, and it has to be a V8 too.

I'm fairly good with the spanners, and ran an $800 (bought for that with 6 months rego!!) ZK Fairlane for 12 months when I was last in Australia. Kept it going and it never let me down, so you could say I'm fond of the marque!

So knowing all that, what should I be looking out for with a purchase? What's more important - mechanicals or bodywork? I'm looking to have a daily driver that I can work on at the weekends when I'm bored and have a few dollars to spend, so you could say it'll be a rolling restoration, although that's too strong a word...

Thoughts and comments welcomed. Cheers!
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2004, 21:27   #2 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Re: Buying a '70s Falcon/Fairlane - advice please!

How about an XD? They were made in the 70s (just) :)

You should be able to pick up a nice daily driver V8 for that price. Another member Ford Grunt recently got a nice XD V8 for less than $4000.

You might be lucky to get an XB for that money, but the V8s are getting harder to find.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:54   #3 (permalink)
gsw
XA GS FAIRMONT 302

Bought my xa fairmont gs 302 that was fully rebuilt from the ground up for $7000. For $4000 you could probably expect a reasonable car in the xa to xc range. Probably need body work and have a few leaks though. Seen a few xc gxl 351's in my local paper recently for $5000. XD's on the other hand you would get a really nice one for that sort of money(just put money away for door handles).
gsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 03:35   #4 (permalink)

If you find anything decent for $4000 you are lucky.

I've seen many decent non GT Falcons sell about $12,000 - $15,000, at that price those cars are either immaculate original condition or have a reasonable amount of work done to them, of course I would be asking for receipts and photos to show their worth.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 19:03   #5 (permalink)
XD V8 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fire
How about an XD? They were made in the 70s (just) :)

You should be able to pick up a nice daily driver V8 for that price. Another member Ford Grunt recently got a nice XD V8 for less than $4000.

You might be lucky to get an XB for that money, but the V8s are getting harder to find.
Hey Yellow Fire! Only half that $2,000. Mine actually turns out to be '80 model 302 v8 Fairmont Ghia XD but..close enough. My particular example has plenty of potential.

They they still have the leaf sprung rear like all the other cars of the 70's and the floor plan is even based fairly closly on the XC!

XD's can be purchased for great prices, and have stacks of street credibility.

Cheers

Pics here: http://www.fordgallery.com/showgalle...00/ppuser/7796

Ford Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons