Buying a EF/EL - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2003, 06:08   #1 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Question Buying a EF/EL

OK here goes,

I have been saving my cash since I was about 10 and now the moment has come to buy a 'proper' car. I am 19 and a soon to be apprentice at a Printing Press. I need a car to get me to work at decent economy and I want a modern car as I am getting tired of spending money on my MKI Capri. Have spent close to $5k on it, engine upgrades mainly (2 litre) and I reckon I have gone as far as I could power wise/ looks wise without spending mega bucks. I am tired of poor fuel economy (Premium unleaded :( only) and the rough ride and poor ergonomics. I would say I am growing out of my 'boy racer' phase.

I have always had a soft spot for the EF/EL falcons. I have at maxiumum 15k to play with. I have thought about buying an XR6 but at this stage I just want a mainly stock EF/EL as I may be travelling overseas at the end of my apprenticeship, plus I wouldn't mind an auto car for a change that doesnt attract too much unwanted attention. I have test driven an EL GLi Falcon and was very impressed powerwise as well as brakes, comfort and ease of driving. I simply want this car now. How reliable are they? I have heard of head problems occuring?? The car is so much safer too (Capri doors/ ignition can be opened with ANY key i have, plus I would hate to hit anything in that tin can!) and more comfortable than the Capri. (Still keeping the Capri don't get me wrong great car but I cannot drive it everyday from A to B)

Now that you have my life story what do you think would be the best car for me:

Firstly,

EF or EL? Is there much difference besides exterior?

Gli - cheapest model - but is it worth it?
Futura - how much different is it from the Gli??
Fairmont - leaning towards this at the moment...
Fairmont Ghia - too expensive I imagine!

My driving style is really pretty conservative and catious but I do like the occasional trash to clear my head. As I have said before what could I pick up for $15k tops? I would like something with lower kilometres too. Is $15k too much for say a Fairmont with 120,000 kms??

Finally and most importantly......

How hard does the 4.0litre go and auto box go? For example what cars have you smoked in drags?? My Capri beats Holden and Ford sixes. haahahaha power to weight! (Destroyed an XF last nite) I would like my $15k car to go harder than my Capri! How fast does it do 0 - 60 roughly?

Any advice is really appreciated as I am not as familiar with these cars as you all must be!

Cheers,

BA - soon to be an E series owner
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2003, 14:00   #2 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

for 15k you should be able to get a fairmont or ghia, probably not a 5.0 litre, but you say you don't want one anyway. i'd say the average fairmont would be in better condition than a gli. look in carpoint or some other web site to give you a good idea of how much. with 15k i'd go the fairmont, but then i'm biassed, i've already got one. good luck.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 14:12   #3 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

Go for a really low milage EF fairmont

mate bought one just few months back for 14k but with 40 thousand on the clock! Looks brand new!

I am also biased
=)

You could get an EF XR6 i would presume.
Old 01-20-2003, 15:49   #4 (permalink)

I've got an EF GLi and have had no problems, but with that sorta cash u could get a very nice Fairmont.
Probably even a Ghia if you look around, i wish i could have gotten a fairmont, but i love my car :D
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 16:09   #5 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

I'd be basing the buying decision on how many km's as much as anything else such as EF/EL, GLi, Futura, Fairmont, Ghia etc.

They are all going to be more up market than your Capri anyway. Sure they are nicer the higher spec the car but you describe your needs as basic reliable transport that's a bit of fun occasionally. Remember with the extra specs you usually also get extra weight (economy issue, Falcon not being the most frugal beasts anyway) and also more electronic things to go wrong (windows, trip computers, climate control, cruise etc.)

How reliable are they? Even seen any as taxi's!

Head gasket problem - yes they are known to occur. Not a major problem to get fixed if it happens. Regular maintenance (fresh coolant, operable thermostat) and don't thrash it and you may be OK. I have 150+ thou on my ED with the original head gasket (fingers crossed).

Quote:
...I would say I am growing out of my 'boy racer' phase....
Your a bit young at 19 to be over that yet I reckon. There's some here in their 30's, 40's, 50's and beyond that haven't got out of that phase yet.
Old 01-20-2003, 17:27   #6 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I had a look in the SA Trading Post and the cheapest Fairmont was a 95 one for $9999, but it didn't say how many kms. I would presume a lot.

The cheapset Glis were in the $8000 area while some low km futuras and fairmonts were about $14k - $16k. I am going to go out to some car yards shortly, I will keep you updated with developments.

Thanks,

BA
Old 01-20-2003, 17:33   #7 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

just one more suggestion. DON'T BEND. if you have something in your mind that you want with certain km's don't look at anything outside what YOU want. there were heaps of these built so finding exactly what you want shouldn't be too hard.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 17:40   #8 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Oh don't worry I am in no danger of buying anything other than what I want. I have been looking now for about 3 months for an EL or EF, and I won't let a carsalesman talk me into something I didnt originally want!
Old 01-20-2003, 17:42   #9 (permalink)
Road Warrior

You cant go past an EL Fairmont.

I thought that I could not afford an EL & that I had to compromise & get an EF. Look around & you will find the right one.

Cheers
600 Horsepower Through The Wheels.........
Christ!
She's Meanness Put To Music
and This Bitch Is Born To Run........

note:
Avatar pic taken at on a Public Road, not at Calder Park raceway.

Thanks Goran as I have pinched your Signature
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 22:28   #10 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

My mate just bought an EL Fairmont for $9300, it has 150 grand ont he clock and is VGC. Comes with 12 month warrenty too!

I wouldn't expect you to find one that cheap cause his dad is the Financial controller of the place!!

Expect around $15K for similar product. More if low kms.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons