Buying an EFII Xr. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2003, 22:20   #1 (permalink)

Buying an EFII Xr.

Well i've just sent in the loan application and so far all is looking good. The fact that i've applied through my credit union should make it easier. God I hope it's approved!!!

Anyway the car i'm looking at buying is an Ford EF XR6, there are two at the dealers i'm looking at and both are series 2's. One of them has done 150,000 and is selling for $14,999 and the other 100,000 and selling for $15,999. I don't know if the extra thousand is worth the lower km's and the one with the higher k's is a manual which is really what I want. (The thing would rip). I've driven both and visually inspected and both seem to be in excellent condition from what i've seen so far.

Any ford enthusiasts able to help me. What problems am I looking for in the later E series? Also is it worth the extra 50,000 for a manual?

Thanks Guys
-kall
Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2003, 22:30   #2 (permalink)
EL XR6 - w00t

I bought a manual 1997 EL XR6 a four months ago for $17000 and it only had 80,000kms on it (pity I've put nearly 20,000 on in this time :(

You could probably find a EL for that price and KMs. Unless your after a manual.. there rare.
dcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 22:47   #3 (permalink)

Trust me, i've looked. Can barely find any EL Xr's in this good condition anyway. I want to settle for a manual. After driving it you can tell there is a significantly large difference compared to the auto's.
Old 08-31-2003, 23:14   #4 (permalink)
FPV Tasmania Member

Re: Buying an EFII Xr.

My young brother has a EF XR6,Gunmetal grey, with about 80,000 on it, hes aboutto put it on the market, wants to get a BA XR6, I 'll see what he wants for it, it is in Tassie tho, and hes just done new Rotors and chipped it.
Old 08-31-2003, 23:30   #5 (permalink)

my ef blew a head at 170,000 k's, and a few others i know have all gone between 170,000 & 200,000. I'd go the auto with 100,000 cause the other one will probably end up costing a grand or two extra in a year anyway. That money could be spent converting to a manual.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 23:35   #6 (permalink)

Go the manual if thats what you really want you'll regret later if you get an auto & it's not what you really wanted 150000k's is not a lot for a EF if it's been well maintained
Old 09-01-2003, 01:15   #7 (permalink)

get that u really want.
even if the gasket does go on it.
it only costs a $1000 to fix it (the money saved from not getting the other one)

deffinately get the manual :D
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 01:33   #8 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

Yeah definately get the manual - Even though those prices seem a bit rich for EF XR's, when i was looking at cars my two choices were EFII Fairmont Ghia and EFII XR6, I eventually went with the Ghia, has all the luxury options in it, but retains the drive line (Diff, trans, engine, etc) of the XR6....

But for sure, get the manual - its cheaper to change a headgasket done than get a 5spd installed...
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 02:11   #9 (permalink)

wooohoo!! manual xr6 it is!

The auto one sold, i went back there this afternoon. Hopefully this damn loan application is approved! (PLLLLeeAAASsssEE let it approve!!) Should find out tomorrow and will be back at the car yard as soon as I find out. Can't wait!

I'd much rather drive a manual. I have a low attention span and driving an auto = boredom = carazyness! hehe Also the manual is a hell of alot quicker than the auto.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:13   #10 (permalink)

I know the price is a bit steep, but i'd much rather buy through a dealer for the warranty, roadworthy + i'll get them to throw in the on-road costs. It's more piece of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons