Buying a real car. Help me. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2004, 09:49   #1 (permalink)

Question Buying a real car. Help me.

Hi wise and wonderful forum dwellers. I cast myself before you to seek your wisdom. I have seen the light and want to buy a real car. I am getting out of my quickly depreciating late model career woman car (not good for a mid 20's guy) and want to launch myself behind the wheel of "REAL" car. I have been doing the many hours required on the internet to become wiser.

My research has led me to a 1969 FORD FALCON XT GT replica. From the one pic I've seen it looks a nice car. The ad says the following:

GT Replica 302 Windsor 4 speed single rail 2.92 diff Daisy mags Big tyres
Polar White paint with red stripe .New 11 inch clutch,reco gear box,good tyres. Safety cert was very thorough.Lowered suspension,sports steering wheel, All GT badges. Cruises economically due to high ratio diff . A very desirable 35 year old. Advertised for $6500 but could get it cheaper I hope.

I would love to know your thoughts for a complete beginner. Suggestions for other cars around similar price range. What kind of traps are out there for cars of this vintage?

Pic of advertised car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 334334.jpg (47.6 KB, 130 views)
XT for me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 10:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: Buying a real car. Help me.

sounds OK, as long as no rust and trim is good, engine is cheaper to rebuild than rust and trim. the diff will be fine with a 4 speed. go for it. and u r 100% right about driving a depreciating car, it makes u depressed . all of my cars have depreciated and on their way back up , some even past new car prices, my cooper s 69 model is valued at 20k.
Old 09-10-2004, 17:28   #3 (permalink)
Origi-Bulge (tm)

I wish my cousin had read your post, and had been half as smart as you.. he just bought a brand new Holden Cruze!

Anyway, go for it, the XT is an awesome car, and being a a GT replica it will still have most (if not all) of the GT gear from that era. And you dont have to worry about upsetting purists by modifying it if you want to (air con, pwr steering, cd player etc).

Id buy it for sure, if i had the money. Mind you, you can buy a real XT GT for around the 15 - 25K mark nowdays.

Enjoy the ride

Cows would live a lot longer if they weren't made out of steak and leather
Klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 18:02   #4 (permalink)
Yellow Glow XA GT

buy it
Old 09-10-2004, 19:34   #5 (permalink)

Sounds sweet. As said before rust is your biggest enemy, go have a good look at the car. If you know anyone who knows a bit about cars take them along.

1973 XB Coupe Fairmont 302, koni shocks, lovell super low fronts, extra leaf and reset leaf spings, dual exhaust, advance headers. Resprayed Vivid Blue Pearl. 17x8 & 17x10 inch FR Simmons.
EB2Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 01:42   #6 (permalink)
The Big Yellow Cruizer

Well join the club as I just Bought one and it is a great machine indeed, the 302 windsor is a very grunty donk and with a very sweet sound indeed.
WAXBFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 02:03   #7 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

It look's very neat from that pic but like all vehicle's it pay's to go right over it, just because you may be sick of the late model vehicle's doesn't mean the early one's are any better when it come's to relabilty etc,yes the are classic and beuatifull machine's but some have had a hard life, so if all look's good with this one, that price seem's pretty good for a neat XT V8.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 17:56   #8 (permalink)
'bargearse'

..........so did you buy it? If you dont I will! Have one sitting at home which I will get too one day. Only a six but they drive well and are reliable and easy fixed. Heaps of parts around. I like em more than the XY, mainly becasue they arent as common. Always some part for em on EBAY but sometimes bit pricey. (always know what bits are worth b4 bidding.)

Nothing worse than 12 months down the track saying....'I should have bought that white XT......damn!'
Old 09-13-2004, 08:35   #9 (permalink)
a.k.a Superoo on IRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by conordec
buy it
yeah ummm what he said *points*
Old 09-14-2004, 03:06   #10 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
..........so did you buy it? If you dont I will! Have one sitting at home which I will get too one day. Only a six but they drive well and are reliable and easy fixed. Heaps of parts around. I like em more than the XY, mainly becasue they arent as common. Always some part for em on EBAY but sometimes bit pricey. (always know what bits are worth b4 bidding.)

Nothing worse than 12 months down the track saying....'I should have bought that white XT......damn!'
Heap's of part's around, your joking arn't you, part's for these vehicle's in good nick are becoming scarce every day.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons