can anyone compare(man) AU2 xr6 vct to ba xr6 n/a - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2003, 23:18   #1 (permalink)

can anyone compare(man) AU2 xr6 vct to ba xr6 n/a

I test drove a au2 xr6 vct manual on the weekend and i was impressed, and i think at a bargin 27000 dollars with full spoiler kit,momo st/wheel, xr knob, sunroof.

A couple of questions: i test drove in the wet and when car lost traction, the car in the rear started to vibrate is that normal for LSD?

Also the clutch was was heavy, im not sure if worn or is it normal for that model.?

And found the gear changes hard to find. is that normal for this model and is the BA any better.

I feel this car is a bargin but is more than i want to speend at this point in time as i was looking for a EL xr6.

I have other expences to deal with at the moment but with people who have had experiance with both models, any advice,
Do I take the plunge and buy this OR do i wait 18 mths and buy a 18 mth old BA XR6

Cheers
fordfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2003, 23:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: can anyone compare(man) AU2 xr6 vct to ba xr6 n/a

As good as the AU XR models were, any BA is just a big step up. The stock BA I6 is more powerful although the biggest difference is engine smoothness where the new engine leaves any past ford six for dead. It might not be BMW fantastic but its the best aussie six (stock) to date. I personally think the AU interior was the worst aspect of the car and that going from ELII to AU was a big step backwards. BA has fixed this up easily and again it's Euro look is the best Falcon interior to date in my eyes. If you can wait 18 months (which seems a long time) you will be buying when BAII is out so the current BA cars will be cheaper again as will anything else you might look at. Hope this helps.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 00:03   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Clutches are heavy very heavy in anything pre BA as they were cable operated not hydraulic.

Finding gears with a T5 gearbox is shocking. Yes ford shift quality is really just shithouse. BA's are abit better, the gearbox is still the same but it's a shortened unit so the throw isnt as long. Still along way from anything you would call great.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 00:07   #4 (permalink)
BOFH

I love my AU XR6 VCT and would not trade it for a BA XR6n/a. I do like the BA's and I think they are a step ahead, as they should be, but the BA XR6n/a does nothing for me at all, just a tarted up XT IMHO. I think in the end its personal taste and given the chance I would jump at a BA XR8 but I dont think the XR6n/a is worth it.

As for the shudder in the diff of the VCT, yep, its normal so long as it's only a small shudder not a tooth rattleing vibration.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 00:30   #5 (permalink)

I cant compare to a BA but can compare au2 Xr6 vct ute(needed it for work) to an El Xr6,and initially was disapointed with the power (lack of bottom end torque),compared to the HP xr6 engine but the VCT pulls higher up the rev range.
Handling/braking wise the AU ute kills the EL xr6, but the AU has 17" wheels,twin spot caliper standard.
I perfer the EL xr6 interior over the AU due to head room and door pillar postition and seat type(still cant get comfortable),and also prefer the EL dash lay out,though gear change is crisper with the AU and shorter.As for looks the EL XRs with a factory body kit is tough,the only thing better in the AU shape I would say the pursuit ute body kit or the T series,other than that the can look pretty plain
I would rate the AU 2/3(not series 1) slightly better than the EL,
Id like to drive a non VCT AU2/3 the see if they have the torque the EL had.
BTW I think Ive sorted out my torque problem ,on mine with a new exhaust,starting to enjoy it alot more.
I hope this confusing story helps you decide,I dont know my self ..HA
Old 11-23-2003, 02:25   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys it has helped but do u think its a good buy AU2 xr6 VCT 63000ks 18mths left on warranty, full body kit, sunroof, momo steering wheel.
All for $27,000+on roads
fordfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 02:35   #7 (permalink)
BOFH

I'd say it's about right, a little high but considering it still has warrenty and all the goodies it would be a good price. I would pay it if it was my choice.

BTW, what colour is it?

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 04:14   #8 (permalink)
RACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfair
Thanks guys it has helped but do u think its a good buy AU2 xr6 VCT 63000ks 18mths left on warranty, full body kit, sunroof, momo steering wheel.
All for $27,000+on roads
$27000+orc? So the car has no rego.

I think that's abit steep, maybe $25000- $26000 including some rego.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons