Ford Forums banner

Carbies reposted

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  66_mustang 
#1 ·
Gday guys (ands girls) Im a new one to this forum.. since i only just got meh car... but again pretty cool forum u got here... Anyways i posed in the garage area not knowing my way round but i'll post here as well! Ok i have just recently obtaine an xy fairmont with a 351 clevo in it, as far as the deal goes, it has hydaulic cams, 4v heads holley 650 double pumper, yada yada yada, im in the process of stripping (interior and paintwise) it out and giving it a new lease on the gt repro life... (wanted one for yrs)

Ok enuff said, i have this holley (quite old as my hotrodding uncle states) double pumper and quite frankly it is seeming to "pour" the fuel in to the point of almost stalling below 2-3 grand on the tach. Being a uni student and the perth fuel prices, Im looking to economise this a little,

So my qn is can you ppl give me some ideas as to what to look for in terms of a more economical 600-650 cfm carby that may or will still have the ballz when needed (btw im told it has an 8grand rev limit but i aint gonna test that)

Cheers evry1

#2 ·
Try getting it tuned first.

#3 ·
I agree, it sounds like the carby needs a kit put through it and then the car needs a tune.

Our XY with worked 302w, heads, cam, exhaust, inlet, etc runs a 650dp and it seems it is the best carb for the car. We have tried Vac sec 600 holley and it was not the same car.

I would think a 600 Vac sec holley would be fine for a stock 351, but if you have heads, cam and other mods then it might not work that well.

I paid $350 for a reco 600 Vac sec for my 289 Mustang. I think a kit for the 650 would be around a $100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.