Ford Forums banner

CDAA's test drive in the XR8

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  mavss 
#1 ·
Well as you all know from my recent post and test drive of the XR6T, I was mighty impressed to say the least. Well this morning I call up Frank at my Ford dealer and we took the dealer principles BA XR8.

The XR6T and XR8 were parked side by side, both in Phantom and both with the optional 18”. Now I know they are the same, however that bonnet bulge makes such a major statement or rather promise in regarding the cars performance, you find yourself feeling excited about driving it before you have got behind the wheel.

Which lead me to the following problem.. My expectations. Frank started her up and we drove out of the Dealership and up a couple of streets. Although fighting it, I was finding myself to be disappointed asthe car was quiet, mannered and well behaved. At this point it might as well of been a Fairmont with a Tickford/FPV body kit. I had expected nothing really from the XR6T and it blew my mind. I expected everything from my old sparing partner (the XR8), and I was left feeling that she had grown up and matured (unlike me maybe??).

Then Frank handed me the keys…..

At this point I decided to drive this car with a little spirit (if you know what I mean). I found that the XR8’s power range and characteristics had changed, which was the primary reason for my initial disappointment. What I did next was to take the time to find where all the things I loved had been placed. I will tell you all now that these ‘things’ are still there and a lot more of it!

On the down side, in the lower rev range this 5.4 BOSS V8 is reserved and makes you feel as though there is so much more behind it, however it has been tuned to be reserved somewhat, unlike the AU versions of old. Take the time however to give this car some mumbo and it comes on smooth, angry and strong. It does not ‘sling shot’ you like the Turbo, however the velocity in which you find yourself propelled is likened to a plane taking off. At this point I was starting to love this car. Up in the rev range the sound is just beautiful, inside and out. The pulling power of this car reminds me of the GT 351 Cleveland’s of old, however with much more refinement.
The gearbox in the XR8 was nicer than the turbo and delivered a ‘top loader’ like style to it. Gear change throws on the other hand were not as good as I felt they were a little too long.

And then it happened, the moment of truth. I was just pulling out of a side street onto the main road when one of the General’s best in black went by. Forgetting Frank was sitting next to me I went around the corner and gave this car almost full throttle.

With in a matter of seconds we caught up to the black SS Ute and went passed him. In this fleeting maynover the acceleration I can only describe as awesome. I pulled in front of the SS, apologised to Frank and waited for the SS to retaliate. Well, he didn’t, in fact he kept on slowing down seeming so not to catch up to me. Thou this was no race and nor would it have been, it left me feeling very, very competent in this car.

Ok, summaries….

Despite many of the reviews to date on the XR8, this is one muscular beast with balls of steel. If you are a V8 person you will love it, it’s just that simple. Like the LS1 (although better IMO) it needs a rev, but if your willing to take it there it delivers the goods on all fronts. Handling wise it feels a little heavier, however I like and prefer the weighted feeling personally.

Is it better than the XR6T? No.
Its not worse either, its totally different altogether.

Does it feel faster than the XR6T? No, but stronger Yes. The XR8 feels like it’s got so much more as the XR6T does not. What I mean by that folks is both cars are very conservatively set up with loads more potential to be had, however the XR6T makes you feel like what it delivers is enough. The XR8 on the other hand does not and leaves you impressed, excited, testosterone charged and wanting more.

It had become clear to me that this car has been built for XR8 or SS, V8 loving people and not to impress so much others that seek the performance and characteristics of the XR6T or WRX’s.

Which one will I buy? Logic tells me the XR6T, emotionally I want the V8. Conclusion is I would be happy with either, however I would like to drive the GT. :idk:

Cheers,
Colville

See less See more
#2 ·
Great read there. Interesting to note the different personalities of the two cars.

#3 ·
Top read mate.. Very good description of both cars.

Excatly the sort of differences Ford were looking for when they developed these cars I'd reckon..

#5 ·
redwards said:
I allways ask this but do you have pics of the XR6 T and the Xr8 in phanto side by side.
Thanks guys for your kind responses. Sorry I didn't get any pictures, however I did see there my first XR8 Citric Acid. I actually hated the colour in the media pics however all I can say is I've changed my mind. This is one colour that you have to see in the flesh.

#6 ·
CDAA said:
With in a matter of seconds we caught up to the black SS Ute and went passed him. In this fleeting maynover the acceleration I can only describe as awesome. I pulled in front of the SS, apologised to Frank and waited for the SS to retaliate. Well, he didn’t, in fact he kept on slowing down seeming so not to catch up to me. Thou this was no race and nor would it have been, it left me feeling very, very competent in this car.
I don't blame the Ute for backing off.

He must have thought you were a complete nutter.

MavSS

#8 ·
BOS-54L said:
CDAA, great reveiw, you put words together well, now how about another comparison for us, go and test drive or maybe you already have , and tell us your thoughts on the SS's feel and acceleration.
can't wait to read your reveiw.

thanks
BOS-54L

CHEERS.
I plan to BOS-54L in the next week or so. I have planned these comparo's close together so I recall as clearly as possible each car's character.

mavss said:
He must have thought you were a complete nutter.[/B]
Thanks Mav, glad to see you got something out of it:s4 Your probably right.

#9 ·
Excellent assessment of both the Xr6-T and the XR8. It's good to read about real life ciomparisions without any sponsor bias etc like the magazines.

I'm interested in which one you'll choose.

Cheers.

#12 ·
hey i'm only a bricklayer but i can tell you that the XR8 is more responsive than the SS.
the xr8 pulls as soon as your out of the clutch while the ss needs to get to 4000rpm before you can feel the real power. and it only lasts to about 5500rpm.
the 6speed ss gearbox was nowhere near as smooth as the xr8 especially moving into 2nd gear .
in the ss , i wanted to go from4th to 3rd to see how it is for overtaking, well i found fifth. i thought the gears are way to close .
as for v8 noise well the ss was way to quite, only noise was coming from the 18inch wheels(road noise)

the xr8 pur, well drive one or atleast be a passenger and you will be bulging.

#13 ·
BOS-54L said:
hey i'm only a bricklayer but i can tell you that the XR8 is more responsive than the SS.
Some of the smartest people I know are Tradies:hy:

Good to hear you liked the XR8. I will be driving the SS this week, however I am prepared to expect the worst, which would be entertaining the possiblity of the SS being just as good, if not better. Don't get me wrong, I hope its not, however if you are influenced at all by the media to date, your've got to be prepared if you want to remain genuinely objective.

I'm looking forward to the experience and welcome the General's best into my own little comparison test for the winners price of my business.

#15 ·
BOS-54L said:
the xr8 pulls as soon as your out of the clutch while the ss needs to get to 4000rpm before you can feel the real power. and it only lasts to about 5500rpm.
the 6speed ss gearbox was nowhere near as smooth as the xr8 especially moving into 2nd gear .
in the ss , i wanted to go from4th to 3rd to see how it is for overtaking, well i found fifth. i thought the gears are way to close .
as for v8 noise well the ss was way to quite, only noise was coming from the 18inch wheels(road noise)

the xr8 pur, well drive one or atleast be a passenger and you will be bulging.
No problems or dislikes with the XR8?

I'd say your purchase of the XR8 is a good decision then.

MavSS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.