Ford Forums banner

Changed my ECU, Its like a new car...

7K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  notty 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
After Reading MUSTANGNICKO's Post about his ecu Im glad I thought that might be my troubles

Since ive been driving the new EA i had noticed that it was doing some strange things. The idle was fluctuating between 500 and 700, the temp was allways high and the car at idle sounded like it was missing and like a Isuzu truck sometimes. Well today at work the car just cut out when i switched it on, it lost COMPLETE POWER?! disconnected the ECU and pluged it back in and it all came back on.

Thinking it was my ECU i got another one from pickapart on the way home and its like a new car! it holds idle at 600rpm, the temp sits on R the whole time

I grabbed a 90DA CFI ECU from a EB1, Is it EB1 or EB2 onwards that have the Trans ECU built in?

My questions are....
1) does the ECU talk to the Auto Trans ECU since this is a EA and they are separate? cause now changes Soooo much smoother in ECON and PWR modes
2) The cars Fuel average is now 17.0 where before it was 17.7 on a good day
3) starts Sooo much better now??

See less See more
#2 ·
EB1 has external trans TCU

1) It sure does, VSS, and MAP and engine temp
2) 17.0 still isnt good ;) ( i cant talk, i average 21.6)3) Your Ecu's injector drivers or something to do with fuel delivery or metering sounds to have been shot.

#3 ·
The motor does have blowby and has a nice ammount of big end noise, I checked out the injectors and they are coated in oil cause of the blowby, would this cause the excessive fuel consumption?

#5 ·
LOL Hopefully the new motor will be going in Saturday morning :fraz: thanks to Dellboy

#6 ·
WOW my average fuel consumption is 12.4l per 100k and average speed of 43.5k, and also my car is running better with a new ecu we put my old one on the test bench and found that the computer kept going back to crank at idle so therefore the car was overfueling at idle and causing a flat spot, the old ecu is still sitting next to the test bench as nothing seems to be fixing it lol,

#8 ·
Ive changed my O2 Sensor, MAP, TFI, Leads, Plugs, ECU basicly Injectors are all thats left.

#9 ·
90DA ecu is EA series 2, 91DA is EB series 1, 92DA is EB series 2 (some with smartlock).
Very glad to hear that that fixed the problem, and I reckon I might have to give it a go, cause my car is doing really odd things also, and I've replace MAP, TPS and ISC and it's still doing weird things. Looks like a trip to JRs is in order!

#10 ·
Hmmm my aver fuel consumption is 8.5L/100Kms according to my Trip puter.
Somehow i dont think so!

Brent

#11 ·
Well I just drove to Toorak and back and before i left i reset my Trip computer. My average is now 14.0!!!! with the new ECU

#13 ·
it was 11.2 on the freeway and went up to 14.0 on normal driving

#14 ·
does an xr6 use a different ecu to a normal falcon? my ed is pretty average and has some of the symptoms brought up in here. so before i go and try fixing everything else i might get a new ecu if its the same as a stock gli or futura ecu.

#15 ·
XR6 and Sportsman have a Tickford ECU

#17 ·
InitialD said:
Hey guys,
After Reading MUSTANGNICKO's Post about his ecu Im glad I thought that might be my troubles

Since ive been driving the new EA i had noticed that it was doing some strange things. The idle was fluctuating between 500 and 700, the temp was allways high and the car at idle sounded like it was missing and like a Isuzu truck sometimes. Well today at work the car just cut out when i switched it on, it lost COMPLETE POWER?! disconnected the ECU and pluged it back in and it all came back on.

Thinking it was my ECU i got another one from pickapart on the way home and its like a new car! it holds idle at 600rpm, the temp sits on R the whole time

I grabbed a 90DA CFI ECU from a EB1, Is it EB1 or EB2 onwards that have the Trans ECU built in?

My questions are....
1) does the ECU talk to the Auto Trans ECU since this is a EA and they are separate? cause now changes Soooo much smoother in ECON and PWR modes
2) The cars Fuel average is now 17.0 where before it was 17.7 on a good day
3) starts Sooo much better now??
May I ask how much it cost? My EA is doing some pretty weird things and a friend has suggested the ECU might be toast. I have a '90 Wagon 3.9 CFI with 4 speed auto.

Cheers
Bruce

#20 ·
The ECU was "borrowed" from a certain self serve wreckers near work LMAO :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.