Changeover From ED TO AU? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2004, 08:46   #1 (permalink)

Question Changeover From ED TO AU?

I currently own a '94 ED Fairmont which has travelled over 200,000 Kms.Other than when towing a van,this vehicle has an average country/town economy of 11.7Ltrs/100Kms and I have been very pleased with it's overall performance. Over the past 8 years I have fitted a:
reconditioned transmission
heavy duty brass radiator
viscous fan
alternator
fuel pump
ABS control assy and
heater blender assy
I am now seeking some advice to help me with a decision. I estimate that the changeover cost for me to buy a 2 year old Fairmont could exceed $15,000 .I reckon I could practically rebuild the ED with this money. Does this make economic sense or should I limit my maintenance costs and buy a newer car.
Bluemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2004, 16:53   #2 (permalink)
EFII Ghia owner

Re: Changeover From ED TO AU?

you could spend heaps and rebuild the ED, but you will still be left with the same 10+ year old car and wont get much for when you sell it.
or you can buy a 2 year old car, which is a much better car, way better handling and a much smoother and reliable engine.
I know what id rather
Old 08-30-2004, 17:14   #3 (permalink)
www.radclan.com

definately go for the fairmont, you will love it, as EF_dave said, if not you'd still be stuck with a 10+ yr old car, when you can have a nice lookin late model with pretty much all the bells and whistles

Liquid Silver 2001 AUII XR8 Ute - K&N Filter - T Series Intake - AU3 Clear Side Indicators - BA Scuff Plates - More details soon to come
xcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 17:36   #4 (permalink)
Yay no more L plates woot

I'd also look at buying a newer model car. For around that sort of money you could pick yourself up a real gem of a vessel.

Goodluck with it all.

Cheers
My1stEvaFord
My1stEvaFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 19:18   #5 (permalink)

I would have to agree with the other guys, unless you had somethin like a 60's model mustang, hehehe. I would spend every dollar i earned to rebuild a car like that. but not an ED
ianmcd06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:05   #6 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

I had an ED fairmont which was quite nice but I'm not looking back on getting the newer car (although i miss my climate control - something u won't have a prob with if ur getting another fairmont).
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:15   #7 (permalink)

I went from an ED Ghia to an AU1 XR6 a few years ago and I couldn't believe how much better the AU was to drive. You'll find the same with the AU Fairmont. I'd do the update but remember, future resale on AU's will be absolutely shite so make sure you keep it and get your moneys worth out of it.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons