Clevo into FE LTD (XF) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2004, 04:25   #1 (permalink)

Clevo into FE LTD (XF)

Gday every one.
First time poster here. Good looking site/forum looks like a wealth of knowledge on here.
I own a very nice FE LTD which unfortunatley missed out on the V8 engine back then...
Getting a bit tired of the slug 4.1efi so looking at what conversions are the most common in the 87 (XF) Fords and not to difficult if any?.
What i have available to me for the conversion sitting in my driveway not is a XD 351 Clevo on straight gas. Mechanically the engine is fine just the rest of the XD has seen better days.
Has this topic of V8 engine into efi FE (XF) been covered here before?
If so where abouts, i couldn't find any.
I'd like to fit the Clevo to my 4.1 LTD... Only if it's not a total bastard and me and a few mates could do it.
I have been told that the engine will basically bolt straight in with utilising the appropriate parts from the XD?
The hardest (one of) part I have also been told is getting the LED dash to operate correctly...
Can anyone elaberate on just how possible the engine coversion could be including moving all the gas system over as well.
Has anyone else done this here?
Thanks for any advise.
See pic of my LTD
Cheers,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black LTD.JPG (58.9 KB, 77 views)
G.G.LTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2004, 04:33   #2 (permalink)
kickerinthegutsbarry

Re: Clevo into FE LTD (XF)

Welcome to the forums steve. It is a fairly straight forward job I'm told, I know that Dansedgli has done this conversion with an xf, but for my money, I would convert it to an ef/l 4.0 lt. There wouldn't be much differn's in what it would cost.

apolloxbgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:48   #3 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

very nice looking car and it sure does deserve a V8. there has been some threads covering V8s into XFs (use the search bit) and to my understanding a clevo will go straight in without having to hack the fire wall to move the heater box. this was a 302 though so unless the engines are a different size then the 351 would go in as well. as for the LED dash you may consider posting in the Interior/Electrical section. oh and gas is gas when it really comes to it.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:17   #4 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

That is a nice LTD and definately needs a V8 with twin exhausts to finish it off. Your car looks sweet as, very mafia.

I have put a cleveland into my XF as was mentioned. It will fit straight in with XE engine mounts which are probably the same as your XD's.

You will need to run straight gas to meet emissions. If you dont run gas you will need another fuel tank and pump as the EFI one will pump too much pressure.
My heater pipes had to be modified though I have just disconnected them and will do it later. Not sure if the LTD would need to have them modified. On mine where the hoses come out of the wall they need to turn sharpely and run along the firewall to clear the engine.

My only dash problem was that the temp gauge read really high. I disconnected it. this will happen on yours too I imagine.
Using a C4 trans the same speedo sender can be used so your speedo will still work.
Cant think of much else, its late and im tired.

Any other questions just ask.
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 05:21   #5 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Compare your firewall to the XD's. While facing the engine bay look at the right hand side. The XD will have an indented section where the heater pipes come out. Does the LTD have the same indent or no indent at all?
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 23:55   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansEdgli
Compare your firewall to the XD's. While facing the engine bay look at the right hand side. The XD will have an indented section where the heater pipes come out. Does the LTD have the same indent or no indent at all?
Thanks for the replies.
I had a look at both firewalls and the indented on the XD is just below from where the two heater pipes exit the firewall and in comparison to my LTD (which has sort of thick cardboard like stuff covering the whole firewall, sound deadner?) I cant tell if there is an indented part because of the sound deadner stuff... The heater pipes come out a fair bit lower and more to the passenger side. This sounds the same design as you have DansEdgli.
So it sounds as though the conversion is not to hard for a backyard job...
See a pic of the XD heater exit point and indent.
See other Pic of LTD heater exit point.
I took these pic's with my mobile as my digi isn't with me so no very big file size or vry good quality. Ah technology!
I will let you know if i need more info and if anyone has anymore info that would be much appreciated!
Thanks again guys,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XD_HEAT_HOSE.jpg (5.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg LTD_heat_hose.jpg (5.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg LTD.JPG (50.7 KB, 45 views)
G.G.LTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 04:45   #7 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

2 things you may want to know.
1: you have to run gas, so you dont need the fuel tank in the car any more=enough room to have proper twin exhausts (1 on each side of the car)
2: you WILL have to get an engineers certificate when its done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons