commodore or falcon?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2004, 22:42   #1 (permalink)

commodore or falcon??

my friend likes holden more and keeps giving me shit about holdent bieng better..... i need some info to wreck him about the falcons bieng better?

Thx black ctr...
blckctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2004, 22:46   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: commodore or falcon??

Does it really matter?
Get some specifics off him as to why Holden are better. If he can answer specifics then there might be some comebacks, if he cant then he's just wasting your time and being a dick.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 22:48   #3 (permalink)

he just says that they have more power as in kw.
Old 08-15-2004, 22:54   #4 (permalink)
BOFH

he's a meat head then, ignore him. More KW means very little, especially when we are talking all of 5 or 10 official fw kw. Theres no doubt that the Holdens are fast cars...but so are the Fords. As for ride comfort, handleing and brakes, the Holdens have been falling behind for a while now.
If he's into "dyno wank" then ignore him, he has no idea about cars and is just pulling your chain.
What do you drive?
What does he drive?

Old 08-15-2004, 22:57   #5 (permalink)

him a magna me a falcon
Old 08-15-2004, 22:59   #6 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckctr
him a magna me a falcon
bwahahhah, he doesnt even drive a holden? Tell him when he gets a holden, come talk to you, untill then, **** OFF!

Old 08-15-2004, 23:27   #7 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
bwahahhah, he doesnt even drive a holden? Tell him when he gets a holden, come talk to you, untill then, **** OFF!
Was about to say the same thing

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 23:34   #8 (permalink)
AUPS Member

:wgaf:

Like Casper who cares. Both cars have their good and bad points.
cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:06   #9 (permalink)

They are both good honest Australian cars. I've never owned a commodore but own a couple of falcons - an EB1S and an AU1 Forte.
The AU1 is real nice, I don't care what people say about them, it is smooth powerful and easy to drive and has plenty of room for long trips. The EB a bit more barge like but it is older. If I upgrade from the EB, it won't be easy because I love it. Not the most refined thing, but has character and is reliable, easy to work on and loads of torque. Great for towing a trailer. I like the way Ford have evolved the falcon and its big six over the years and I love straight sixes (would love a V8 better).
The commie is okay too I guess, plenty of them so they must be doing something right.
Really the commodore/falcon is a testament to the way Aussies love their big sedans. Its great we can design and build our own cars with such a small population - and built for our conditions. Other nations would most likely just use imports. And its good to have a choice because competition is healthy.
muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:31   #10 (permalink)

At the moment I own a BA XR8 and a VX Commodore. The VX is only a base model so it is not a really balanaced comparison, but here's my list.

Doors - Falcons have excellent nice thick metal frames on the doors. Commodores have quite thin flimsy frames that would be easy to bend.

Seats - My commodore has THE most uncomfortable seats of any car I have ever owned (and that's been a few). They were obviously designed for hunchbacked midgets ! The XR8 seats are the best, most comfortable seats of any car I've ever owned. Just lovely.

Controls - Cruize controls are just stupidly designed and hard to use on the holden. Again on the falcon, well thought out,easy to use and robust. Same story with lights, when operated on the commodore it feels like it's about to break every time.

Bodywork - Commodore is poorly finished with oddly designed joins between panels. El Falconio - a pleasure to behold (it is much newer though).

Dashboard - Holden is way too Hyundai-ish. The rounded finish is cheap to look at and to the touch. The falcon is just solid and well built.

Motor - Don't even go there - as that would need a VY2 SS to be fair.

The only compaint I have about the Ford is the Brakes - BA Std brakes are not worthy of the XR8 (or XR6) - totally innapropriate for a car of that performance level and weight. I've not had any problems with the Holden's brakes but it's not a performance car and to be fair is not driven that hard (I bet you the rotors were'nt machined at 15,000 Km though !!!!)

I must say I'm dissapointed with quite a few aspects of the holden, and I'm not predjudice in any way. As said previously a good car is a good car and the moronic Ford Vs Holden argument is tired and not worth wasting breath on. I did think the Holden would be better though given the sales figures. I'd like to see a VY2 or VZ to compare, but to me the ford is just bloody nice, and to get that sort of ride you would need to look at an HRT I think - the SS didn't impress me even though it was lighter and a little bit faster.

It's a matter of preferences but I know which I prefer.

Falcon XR8 - "A car powerful like a Gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a nerf ball"
BossyXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons