Compatabilities - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2003, 08:20   #1 (permalink)
Gun-ho Tactics

Compatabilities

I've recently given myself a kick in the butt and decided to move ahead with updating my EBII Falcon. I've borrowed 15,000 dollars from the lovely people at the commonwealth bank and I'm going to spend close to 80 percent of the amount on the car.

Now, not being a very technical person when it comes to car modifications I'm interested to know if dash boards from Fairlines and even LTDs would be able to fit and work in a standard EBII Falcon. I a little bit tired of have just the speedo, fuel and temp metres and rather than goto autobarn and buy the extra gauges and mount them on the dashboard itself I would prefer to update my current dash.

I would like an EA Fairmont Ghia's dash with the big digital speedo dash, but I don't have built in door sensors so the display telling me what doors are open wouldn't work, unless I install door sensors, which I don't really want to do. I'm pretty sure the EA was the only series with the digital speedo, but I'm not sure if it was only the fairmont that had it?

I really want a tachometer, battery voltage and oil pressure meter and I was wondering if anyone knew if the higher classed models, like the Fairlines or LTDís actually have these on the dash, as Iíve never seen inside a Fairline or LTD before.

Iíd get ford to install it and get it working, but I'd want to try and buy the dash from a wrecker to save money, cos no doubt ford would charge me a tad bit extra. Installing it and making it work isnít really going to be my problem Iíll be paying to make it someone elses problem :)

4.0i Auto Sedan, Cardinal Red

Mods
2.5' Sports Exhaust, Clear Indicators & Repeaters
15x7 "Titans", Tinted, Boss 14' Steering Wheel
Lowered, Chrome Stripping, Trip Computer
EL Door Handles, All Round Pioneer Sound
Sports Instrument Cluster, Super White Xenon Headlights

Up & Coming
New Front Bar (Wombat Damage)
ED Tickford Spoiler

Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2003, 14:32   #2 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

hmmm if you have 80% of 15,000 thats 12,000 on the car.
Ok well with that amount I'd go the spack dash (better than fairmont one IMHO) Fairmont interior (EL backwards will fit and should be able to get a scmicko leather interior for around $1200 max) then mags (1600) lowered (800 for springs shockers sway bars) phat exhaust (500) and ......drum roll please.....TURBO!
If you don't have an LSD then get one NOW (600) new turbo and a big one about (3000) exhaust manifold (1300) custom inlet manifold (guessing on this one at about 1000) chip and some dyno time (900) intercooler and piping (1300) mild front bar (500 painted) mild rear bar (400).
Engine rebuild to suit turbo (3000)
Total cost: 13400. If you don't bother with the body kit and get a second hand rebuilt turbo and you could get your target of 12,000

Of course this doesn't take care of your gear box but those prices are all the cost of brand new parts you could save a lot of cash with all those prices and get everything done. I've given approx numbers that are above what you could get if you looked around.
But it's the way I'd go. Also you don't really NEED the custom manifold at all as dispite what some people say the EB mpfi manifolds do flow pretty well.
By the way I'd like to take this time to mention the fact that you are a bastard if you do all this and I will be extreamly jelious because it's exactly what I want to do but my mods will be done over time and by myself.
Old 03-05-2003, 17:11   #3 (permalink)
Gun-ho Tactics

Cor! That does sound impressive and if I was into performance rather than look I would do that. However although the commonwealth don't care what I do with the money, as long as it goes on the car, the RACT do :( I can't do anything to the engine, suspension, anything that modifies the way the car handles or behaves. Iím limited to 16x7 mags, donít even mention Turbo, I canít even modify my bonnet to put air vents in it. Another thing that really pisses me off is that I canít change my steering wheel either? I couldnít understand that one. I do anything along those lines and my car is uninsured faster than you can say cat in the hat. Iíll be going in there tomorrow to discuss the few doís and many donít I can do. I know lowering is also out.

At the moment the mods Iím doing are purely cosmetic, making it look good and fast, because is it fairly quick, maybe not the quickest, but still.

I want to do up the inside mainly because Iíve had the car for five years now, and I would get a newer model, like an EF or EL but then Iíd just be buying a new standard model with nothing special about it, apart from it being a Falcon. :D

Currently I want to update the air conditioning display to the fairmontís version as well as the dash like I listed in my first post. Clear coloured indicator lights are a must as is an electric aerial. Iím missing an air vent inside the car which I want fixed, the demister button has faded so again, Iíll want to replace that. Thereís a bit of body work damage, scratches, tiny rust spots (about 4). I want to get the grey and white bumper strips coloured the same as the car, throw a body kit on it, something aggressive, spoiler, mags and even get a personalised number plate.

Once I hit 25, in two more years, then engine and suspension upgrades sound more likely. Youíd think after 5 years of accident free driving they would let me do what I want, as long as itís not illegal, atleast let me change my steering wheel! :D

Mods

Up & Coming
ED Tickford Spoiler

Old 03-05-2003, 17:24   #4 (permalink)

In regards to the Dash, the EA and EB Fairmonts Ghia's, Fairlanes and LTD's all had the same digital dash. Having one, you don't have oil pressure or voltage (Have the warning light at the bottem as usal). In the fairlane I have the door/boot display, taco, Digital Speedo and trip computer and then Temp and fuel (Analog).

And Yes it's possible to put it in (anything is possible with a bit of money).
Old 03-05-2003, 17:32   #5 (permalink)
Gun-ho Tactics

Hmmm, that's a bit of a let down. I was hoping for atleast the more posher vehicles to have battery voltage and oil pressure.

Thanks for the feedback NCGhia :)

Mods

Up & Coming
ED Tickford Spoiler

Old 03-05-2003, 18:24   #6 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

why not transplant in an entire EF/L Fairmont Ghia/Fairlane Ghia/LTD interior.....seats, trims, carpet, dash...everything

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 19:08   #7 (permalink)
brenlam

In reply to glock, what does NACT stand for. Is your insurance just third party or is it comprehensive? That would suck not being able to modify your car much, I hope im not as restricted. I have NRMA third party so ill have to read up a bit. If im restricted then I'll just have to save up and bye an EB-ED Xr6. Just out of interest is there much difference performance wise between the XR6 ED and the XR6 EB?
Old 03-05-2003, 19:44   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Buy a EB for $3000 at the auctions and either keep that as your daily driver and do your one up, or do it up with the money depending on how good condition it is in. You could find a pretty good condition one for that much - depending where you look. You may even get a good EA Ghia for that much.

When you're done with mods, don't get insured or registered - just get it towed to car shows or drag meets....that's what i'd do :)

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 20:25   #9 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

if your not to interested in performance mods then sell your car and get something better.
Sell the EB for about $3000 - $4000 and go get an EL fairmont or something.
You'd be much better of doing this than spending money on an old car.
Doing such a thing is only worth it if your in it for the quarter mile.
Old 03-05-2003, 20:48   #10 (permalink)
Gun-ho Tactics

Walkinshaw > Iím not really after the whole Fairmont look anymore, just parts of it. But there was a stage were I was thinking about doing that. I only have so much money and I have to spread it around.

Brenlam > Do you mean RACT? It stands for Royal Automobile Club Of Tasmania. I've got comprehensive and last year I got my no claim bonus.

I actually had a chat to them today, turns out they've changed their policies a bit. I can certain things, but not a lot of wild things.

Sundeep > Heh, the only reason I havenít bought another car or upgraded to a better model is mainly because of dad. He uses them as a tax write off or something. Thereís a bit of financial mucking around in the background when it comes to the cars. He was against the 15,000 dollar loan, telling him should be fun :D

Carazy > Well I am interested in doing it up, performance wise but at the moment, Iíd rather have something that looks fast rather than goes fast. September 2004 I will get back the 6 points I lost in 2001 so I think once I have a few more aces up my sleeve to dish out to the cops when I get busted again I will make the car faster. I need my car for my job at the moment, so if I lose my licence dragging off some idiot in his hotted up commonwhore then Iím screwed in more ways than one :(

Iíll have the EB for a few more years yet. But it might be my secondary car, I'm unsure yet :)

Mods

Up & Coming
ED Tickford Spoiler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons