coolant level seems to be dropping - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2003, 23:47   #1 (permalink)

coolant level seems to be dropping

hi all, ive noticed the coolant level dropping in my EF, i had the whole system flushed and the radiator cleaned out, and all new coolantput in, and the level was fine. i noticed a week or so after it had dropped half way, then the other day it was at the MIN mark. i was told by a ford dealer itd be OK to add water to bring it back up, and its probably an air lock. checked it this morning and it was a tad under MIN. checked it this afternoon and it had gone back up to the MIN mark, so it had raised a touch.

is this just cos of more air locks, or its just hot???? i cant notice it leaking anywhere, got me buggered, hope it aint a big drama, was gonna got to the radiator place on monday for a preasure test (the repco guy suggested that), but thought id se if i could sus it out with your help.

it drives beautifully, starts well, everything seems fine, just worrys me, cos i didnt think it should drop like that.

thanks, nick
yellowblazeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2003, 03:04   #2 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Re: coolant level seems to be dropping

Well try that mate. It could well be an airlock. top it back up with water and see how you go.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 03:23   #3 (permalink)
X-DM!!

When the engine is hot the level will raise in the resevoir, when it is cold the level will drop. Keep an eye on it the air should be out of it by now.
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 21:56   #4 (permalink)

I have noticed that when it is hot the level is higher, then as it cools down it drops, the highest ive noticed it is about 1cm above the MIN mark, and as low as just under the min mark.

is this good/bad etc????

thanks nick
Old 12-28-2003, 15:41   #5 (permalink)

Welcome to the world of Ford, they can't seem to keep the coolant in themselves, a bit like oil or power steering fluid in a Holden.
First place they go is the half-arsed attempt at a waterpump o ring at the back of the waterpump, it is a jerry rigged push in fit so if the gorilla at the factory or local mech doesn't do it right it can give you grief.
Second place is head gaskets, check for minor bubbling in the coolant reservior when the engine is hot and running.
Third is heater cores and their associated plumbing.
To suss it out easier, place small pieces of masking tape in the suspect areas and it will stain and wrinkle apon contact with hot coolant.
This has been the case with the EL, AU an now BA, I think I am up for a head gasket at 28 000kms on the XR6
baxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 17:42   #6 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxr6
This has been the case with the EL, AU an now BA, I think I am up for a head gasket at 28 000kms on the XR6
You can not honestly say that BA's will be affected by the same head gasket problems as AU and previous other falcons 6's!

If that is true then Ford are a bunch of spas'. How can you biuld an engine knowing that it regularly happens and cost the owner a packet to get fixed. Ah that makes me angry. For that reason alone I have to think that the HG problem must have been fixed by now.

I have a semi related question.....how often should i put coolent in my radiator? Everytime I fill it up with water? And how much?

Ive just had a HG go on my EA recently and I want to do all I can to make sure it doesnt happen for a while.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 20:21   #7 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowblazeXB
I have noticed that when it is hot the level is higher, then as it cools down it drops, the highest ive noticed it is about 1cm above the MIN mark, and as low as just under the min mark.

is this good/bad etc????

thanks nick
That sounds normal Nick.
Old 12-29-2003, 00:00   #8 (permalink)

thanks rod, took it to a radiator joint today (the one who did the flush n clean on it) and he said that thats fine, as i drove for longer the level when hot was a bit above the MAX mark.

i noticed the coolant was bubbling a bit when i checked it hot, the car was off, is this a symptom of a blown HG like baxr6 said???

or just cos its hot, so its normal?

thanks, nick
Old 12-29-2003, 00:14   #9 (permalink)

Nick,

If you overfill the coolant reservoir, it will piss it out till it finds the correct level. It is normal for the coolant level to rise and fall, actually it is time to worry if it doesn't. Relax and enjoy your drive.

cheers
Old 12-29-2003, 00:31   #10 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Nick, the water bubbling as you call it is more than likely the hot water rising into the reservior after you turn the engine off. If it had a leaking head gasket it would be blowing bubbles only while the engine was running being caused from exhaust gases and compression gases being forced into the water jackets in the head from the blown head gasket. It would more than likely blow all the water out of your reservoir if it was leaking bad. As TopGhia said relax and enjoy your drive mate.
Rod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons