Cosmetic Modifications - Are They Legal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2004, 18:23   #1 (permalink)

Cosmetic Modifications - Are They Legal

Hi All

What is the legal status of "cosmetic" modifications - from an insurance point of view? Some examples include the much loved lower grill on the BAXRs, the bootliner for the BA falcons (Standard on the Ghia), Footwell lights for XR with premium sound, illumination of electric window switches on XRs etc etc

Comments ?

or is it :wgaf:
newxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2004, 19:43   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: Cosmetic Modifications - Are They Legal

I work in insurance and from a trade point of view you wouldnt have to notify your insurer of any of the changes that you have mentioned. This that are more expensive cosmetic mods like kits and wheels(original diameter etc) can be mentioned if you want their cost covered in the policy but there is no specific need, same with car audio equipment. We mainly care about modifications that will effect the performance, handling and structure of the car. Lots of cosmetic mods that are expensive and increase the look, and thus risk, of the vehicle by making it more attractive could simply incur you and additional premium. As i said above however, all of the mods you have listed are no big deal and you wouldnt have to have them noted at all.

Cheers,
Brad
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 00:35   #3 (permalink)

Surely it would depend on the insurer?? Some insurers behave as you speak, others consider anything beyond stock unacceptable and grounds for cancellation of the policy.
kappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:48   #4 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Jeez; if my insurance company every gets that pedantic about their policy I'd be totally fcuked!

Seriously, some of you people really need to step outside and get some fresh air - the stale air near the computer is obviously heightening your paranoia.

People are insuring cars with 20 inch rims and you're worried about a 3 watt light bulb or a bit of boot carpet? As much as we rag on insurance companies for their outrageous premiums - and no one whinges louder about that than me - we really need to use a little bit of common sense when we deal with them.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 05:43   #5 (permalink)

Hi JR
I just lodged my policy - because of "cosmetic modifications" they said we have to re-assess it. I told them your kidding and advised them that I would rather go elsewhere - "just a moment sir - the manager has approved your policy" I can assure you had I not threatened to go elsewhere my premium wold have increased. Make sure you list every modification cosmetic or not so that the insurers have no comebacks. If you make a modification yourself - state it so!
XR6NA with T Snorkal in Silhouette with Lux Pack + 2nd CAI XR8 Snorkel, Pacemaker Headers, High Flow Cat, Redback Exhaust with Twin Tailpipes - 149kw (G-Tech), Lower Grill, Side Air Bags, Power Pedals, Boot Lid Carpet, Boot Liner, Rear Sun Screen, Mats, Spats, Scuffs, Tint, Gold Plated Badges
Old 04-21-2004, 07:43   #6 (permalink)
.au member

newxr,

could you elaborate on what 'cosmetic mods' they had issues with? Surely stuff like the extra grille wouldnt be an issue - i bet 98% of people who had fitted them havent even bothered to tell their insurers?!

Im not having a dig at you, but it does sound very, very strange that they would even consider stuff like that. The only thing I can think they might have a problem with is with electronic stuff (so the lights, which are still p!ss easy but involve adding wiring etc) because they may be worried youd stuff up the electrics of the car and try to claim or something. But then again youd have to be deaf, dumb, blind and stupid to bugger up something like that!
Old 04-21-2004, 07:58   #7 (permalink)
Go Nuts in Your Falcon

off topic: how sweet does that AU look in BlueAU's signature. Oh how sweet it is to be loved by (A)you!

P.S me needs sleep.
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 16:05   #8 (permalink)

Hi Back2TF

I was getting a quote to replace the current car with the new XR6 (expected in 2 weeks). After going through the usual age/drivers/postcode stuff I had a quote. Just before hanging up I mentioned in passing (Silly Me!!) that I would be considering some cosmetic mods (such as above) after the car was delivered - immediate response was that "you will have to list all modifications and then we will reassess the quote. As these are non factory accessories I can't give a quote on the phone."

My message is list all mods to avoid disappointment when it comes to the crunch
XR6NA with T Snorkal in Silhouette with Lux Pack + 2nd CAI XR8 Snorkel, Pacemaker Headers, High Flow Cat, Redback Exhaust with Twin Tailpipes - 149kw (G-Tech), Lower Grill, Side Air Bags, Power Pedals, Boot Lid Carpet, Boot Liner, Rear Sun Screen, Mats, Spats, Scuffs, Tint, Gold Plated Badges
Old 04-21-2004, 17:54   #9 (permalink)
.au member

Ahhhhh Im with you now. They would fall into the category of 'aftermarket accessories' etc etc.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:08   #10 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by newxr
Just before hanging up I mentioned in passing (Silly Me!!) that I would be considering some cosmetic mods (such as above) after the car was delivered - immediate response was that "you will have to list all modifications and then we will reassess the quote. As these are non factory accessories I can't give a quote on the phone."

My message is list all mods to avoid disappointment when it comes to the crunch
Firstly - learn a lesson from this - NEVER volunteer information that isn't specifically asked for.

Secondly, the person is wrong, and stupidly so. With the exception of the lower grill (and if you get a Herrod's one fitted at a dealer it's covered by warranty) every part you originally listed is a factory item and OEM on one or more variant of your car.

Any insurance company who wanted to void your policy (or increase your premium) for adding a $60 boot carpet from a Fairmont Ghia would deserve a very long look from both the ACCC and the Department of Fair Trading.

A "Genuine Ford Spart Part" is NOT an "aftermarket accessory", and the fact that you fit it at home yourself doesn't mean it should be considered as such.

It's one thing for an insurance company to baulk - or expect notice - when you intend to fit a zorst or a blower or lower the car etc... but carpets, illuminated power window switches which can't be told apart from non-illuminated ones (unless the lights are on of course) and 3 Watt bulbs for a footwell lamp have NO BUSINESS being listed on an insurance policy.

I'd be more than interested in knowing the name of this insurance company - though I bet I have a good idea who it is - so we can all avoid them and their pedantic attitude.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons