A couple of questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2003, 04:40   #1 (permalink)
Sonia's XR

A couple of questions

I have just got my new N/A XR6 manual in venom red with 18" wheels and it's great, but I've not had much chance to drive it yet as my Hubby took it to work today and yesterday. I am new to the forum and hope someone can answer a couple of questions I have

1. I do not like the way the gear knob feels in my hand the metal seems to cut in when changing gear. The only alternative seems to be a Momo metal round knob but I think that may get very hot in summer. I would really like a leather one, any suggestions of a good quality after market one with the right shift pattern?

2. My husband has a golf Gti and modified the drivers door handle to remove the key lock. I would like to do the same and wondered if this is possible. Would the rear door handle surround fit around the front door handle, to remove the door lock? Has anyone done this mod?

3. My hubby also painted his brake calipers red ( Folia-Tec) and they look great, has anyone done this mod to their XR or would it be frowned upon?

While I think the build quality is very good my hubby says " it's no VW!" I'm sure in time he too will fall in love with my new big red beastie.
P.S. my previous car was a Renault Clio Sport ( small flying machine)!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2003, 05:12   #2 (permalink)
AUIIIXR6VCT

Welcome to the Forums and well done on your purchase! I envy you.

As for the things you want to do to the car, break calipers are easy, and im sure the gearstick would be easily fixed!!!!!!

Happy cruising!!
Old 06-13-2003, 05:31   #3 (permalink)

#2 should be possible, but you would have to figure out alternative ways of getting in the car if the remote battery goes dead, or even worse if the car battery is flat.
Old 06-13-2003, 18:54   #4 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Welcome aboard mate.

You can get any number of aftermarket gearknobs from any autobarn or other parts place. Trick is trying to get the standard XR one off!
Dunno about #2, but #3 would look great IMO.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 03:40   #5 (permalink)
out of control

#2 is a no go, i was going to do that to my AU ute, and as the door handles are the same in the BA, it wont work. i would just suggest taking the handle you have out and putting a painted plastic disc in where the lock was. but as Aussie Falcon said you will need to have another way in incase the battery goes flat
Old 06-14-2003, 04:12   #6 (permalink)
gone

Actually No 2 is possible on the au's, have seen many a car done that way

simple safety switch with a 9v bat will unlock doors if main batteries fail
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 19:05   #7 (permalink)
out of control

laminge i was told when i went to do it, that it wasn't possible as the back door handles have a slightly different internal shape and the mounting points for the rear handle is different to the one on the front.
Old 06-14-2003, 22:30   #8 (permalink)

Ford Fanatic's dads got an AUII XR8. They painted the calipers red, and they look very nice too! There is some info here in archives on how it was done, alternatively, PM him and he'll tell you how it was done.
NZ GT-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons