Daily Drivers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2004, 07:56   #1 (permalink)

Daily Drivers

Hi! A friend introduced me to the ford forums (he is a member of the e-series club) and although i wouldn't mind an e series, i'd much rather the rumble and power of an old v8

I've had a good read of this forum, and from what i can gather if you treat the car good and drive it often, she'll be right with reliability, but how many of you people actually use your classic fords as daily drivers? How well do they stand up to being around town pretty often? Sorry for the n00b question, but the car i own at the moment that i bought thinking it would be reliable (r31 skyline) has burnt a very big hole in my pocket with some of the random things that have gone wrong.

Thanks in advance
K_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2004, 12:24   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: Daily Drivers

Hi K_Man - welcome to ford forums.

I drove mine every day (67 mustang) until a minor accident put it off the road. I'm currently repairing and upgrading parts of it at the same time. I prefer to drive older cars than newer cars, dunno why.

If you keep the maintenance up to them they are very reliable, and I've found maintaining it is a lot cheaper than a number of previous cars that I've owned.

What sort of classic ford did you have in mind??
Old 12-14-2004, 18:15   #3 (permalink)

I've been thinking about an XB/XC coupe/sedan. XY's are nice, but a little pricey for a decent one, and there's somethin bout the XA-XC fords that really says 'muscle car'.

All you pre XA owners please dont flame me, i like them too, honest
Old 12-14-2004, 18:23   #4 (permalink)
XB Falcon 500 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Man
I've been thinking about an XB/XC coupe/sedan. XY's are nice, but a little pricey for a decent one, and there's somethin bout the XA-XC fords that really says 'muscle car'.

All you pre XA owners please dont flame me, i like them too, honest
Nice choice. I feel the same, although my preference is definately for the XA-XC. I use my XB 500 sedan as my daily. No troubles if you're careful.
Old 12-14-2004, 18:26   #5 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Hi & welcome to the forums.

There's nothing wrong with old Falcons as daily drivers. If you look after them they'll be just as reliable as any new car. Just keep in mind that as the cars are 30 years old you'll have to keep your eye out for parts that need replacement more than you would with a new car.
Old 12-14-2004, 18:33   #6 (permalink)
Gonna miss the ED :(

for a daily driver, expect a nice fuel bill :) even for the 6cyl.
Old 12-14-2004, 19:57   #7 (permalink)

I buy one, it breaks down, I buy another one. Who needs maintenance!
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 20:27   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EED-250
for a daily driver, expect a nice fuel bill :) even for the 6cyl.
I dont think i'd mind the fuel bill for a 302. From what i read, 351's are very very thirsty, so i think i'd stay away from them, but at the moment i'm getting about 17L/100kms in my skyline on a good day, and that's running BP Ultimate. I dont think i'd mind if i had to pay a tiny bit extra for something i'll enjoy a hell of a lot more.

Thanks heaps for the responses people, i really appreciate it.
Old 12-14-2004, 21:23   #9 (permalink)
Buff XC

If you don't cut any corners with parts & maintenace old cars will look after you. Even 351's could manage 17L/100km if driven reasonably, but the setup and tuning will have to be spot on. Drive 'em hard and everyone will tell you the fuel guage literally drops before your eyes

Last tank of lpg returned me 16L/100km, combination of hwy and traffic driving.

Barely spend a thing on it in parts (except for outright upgrades / improvements) these days and i'm travelling 800km a week.

Can't go wrong with an XA-C, they just ooze muscle
XC Falcon Sedan, monza red/jet black, 351C, twin 2.25" zorst, T5 V8-spec with CRS bell-housing, AU thermofans, 3.23 LSD diff, dual fuel, rally-pack spec, black/red interior, cruise control, sports seats, 17x8 ROH Drift-R's.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 21:54   #10 (permalink)

when moving a heavy weight car cubic inchs will save you fuel. all things being equal a 351 will use the same, or very close to it, as a 302 with more power when you give it heaps
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons