dash cluster - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2006, 21:22   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation dash cluster

Gday
My 20 yr old son has a ea fairmont ghia which petrol and temp gauge does really wierd things .The auto elec was keen to take it apart and test it out to see what it needs,then advise us of cost.Digital dash by the way.My question is are we better of to chase up a second hand cluster and have that installed as he only works part time it may be cheaper.? are they difficult to put in for a mechanical dumbo?
paul219a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2006, 23:59   #2 (permalink)
BA Barracus

Lightbulb Re: dash cluster

Yes, they were a troublesome model the EA, but to answer ur question, no they are not hard to replace and can be bought from wreckers for around $50-$100 depending on condition.
Before replacing, check plugs for bad connection on back of cluster, XF was famous for this fault, and is easily fixed. Use contact cleaner(CRC or equivelent) on pins and socket, blow dry with compressed air.
If that didn't fix it then the cluster itself is probably cactus, and requires replacement.

Remove screws holding cluster in dash, remove cluster assembly(drop steering column down to allow removal of cluster), unplug harnesses from cluster and remove from vehicle.
Before fitting replacement, check all light bulbs on back of cluster, if blackened or mirrored, replace now, you will curse yourself once you put it in and they dont all work, lol.
Fitment is reverse of above.
Invest in a gregorys or haynes manual.
Good luck.
Old 03-15-2006, 18:15   #3 (permalink)

Re: dash cluster

Thanx mate im gonna have a go at it myself as i have picked one up for 60 bucks i will folow ur advise and let you know how i go ....cheers and thanx again
paul219a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 23:46   #4 (permalink)
BA Barracus

Re: dash cluster

No worrys mate, hope it all goes well.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons