DataDot - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2003, 04:14   #1 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

DataDot

Hi all,

In case you don't know, a few dealers (no idea how many) are able to now apply DataDots to your vehicle when purchased. The dots contains the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and are about 10,000 in number.

I've decided to go with this option, as I think the price I obtained is reasonable and I will be approasching the insurers for a discount. Whether I get one or not is a different question!

If you want any more details, just ask, I have a promotianal pack for a few days.

Simon....
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2003, 04:41   #2 (permalink)
AUIIIXR6VCT

Yeh i seen a Datadot sticker on the back window of a GTP yesturday at my local dealer. Ill have to find out more.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:46   #3 (permalink)
gone

how much are the dealers charging as many mechanics and paint shops also have this technology!

Wonder if i can LAMINGE onto a data dot!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 04:47   #4 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by AUIIIXR6VCT
Yeh i seen a Datadot sticker on the back window of a GTP yesturday at my local dealer. Ill have to find out more.
I understand it comes standard on the higher end vehicles.

Simon....
Old 05-11-2003, 04:52   #5 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by laminge
how much are the dealers charging as many mechanics and paint shops also have this technology!

Wonder if i can LAMINGE onto a data dot!
I believe $695 is the RRP, but don't trust me on that. I said I wouldn't spray the price around that they gave it to me for, let's just say it wasn't really anywhere near that :)

Oh, I also doubt you can get what you want on the dots, but give this link (DataDot) a go and ask!

Simon....
Old 05-11-2003, 04:57   #6 (permalink)
rod

greetings lightning
can you let us know the cost of having it done,
what is involved in doing it
is it on the inside as well as the body
can you check that is has been done with a UV or blue light or some other way
regards
rod
Old 05-11-2003, 05:51   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

OK.

1. You can actually have anything you like encoded in the dots - when you view them with a black light and the special magnifying glass it is amazing how clear the text is.

2. They are usually liberally applied everywhere around the car and leave a milky residue when applied (this is actually the dispersant and not the dots themselves.

3. At manufacturing they are applied early in the build process - after market usually involves doing as good a job as you can - it will obvioulsy vary from installer to installer.

4. It would be nigh on impossible to remove all of the dots.

5. Some insurers do offer discounts for data dotting and that will probably become more prevalent as time goes by.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 05:57   #8 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Are the dealers only fitting the dots to new cars at the moment, or are they doing older cars as well?
Old 05-11-2003, 06:16   #9 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by russellw

1. You can actually have anything you like encoded in the dots - when you view them with a black light and the special magnifying glass it is amazing how clear the text is.
I was actually quite surprised how big the dots are. About the size of a pinhead.

Quote:
Originally posted by russellw
2. They are usually liberally applied everywhere around the car and leave a milky residue when applied (this is actually the dispersant and not the dots themselves.
The forms that I saw showed the areas that the dots are to be applied to. The applicator (or the dealer, not sure who) has to certify that they have applied the dots to the indicated areas.

Thanks for the clarifications, Russ.

Simon....
Old 05-11-2003, 14:58   #10 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

My Pursuit has datadot but I didn't get the groovy window stickers so I guess no thief knows it has them - kinda defeats the purpose in a way.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons