Dealer problems! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2004, 21:51   #1 (permalink)

Dealer problems!

There is a ford dealer about two minutes from me (can i mention his name??) where i wanted to buy my first BA xt sports. So anyway, i go in there, finance arranged, i was eligible for employee discount on new cars and was ready to sign on the dotted line. These guys treated me like a second class citizen so i took my business elsewhere. Anyways, i thought i would give them another shot, i mean everyone deserves a second chance right? I take my mercury silver xt sports with 10k on the clock to get a trade in price, again with employee discount and wanted a changeover price on an XR6T or an XR8, wasnt sure which way i wanted to go. A week and a half later i havent had a single phone call! Anyway, i went to another dealer, took XR6 and XR8 both manual and auto for a test run and ordered on that day! Does anyone else have problems with dealers like this? Is it because of the Ford discount? i dont get it, i thought dealers would be falling over themselves to shift cars?
mutlley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2004, 22:11   #2 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Re: Dealer problems!

Hi Mutley,

There are some dealers in Adelaide with questionable customer service; however I can recommend two which are worth while talking to regardless of the Ford discount. Although you have now ordered, please feel free to PM me if youíre interested in the future and I will give you the name and contact people to speak to.

Cheers,
Colville

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =

Last edited by CDAA; 02-29-2004 at 22:13.
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 00:25   #3 (permalink)

I have continual problems with Ford dealers. Becuase I am young they don't take me seriously. They are more than happy to sit down and run through the paperwork (trying to scare me off with the price), but when it comes to taking one for a drive...forget it! I had to plead with a bloke to let me drive a new XR8, which he agreed to, but did so with a foul attitude. I took off from the lights with about 1/2 throttle when the engine was warm and he threatened to take over the wheel if I "pull another stunt like that". I have made 3 attempts to drive an XR6T - nothing! They are obviously not serious enough about moving cars.

Guys, I know you have to work on those sunny weekends, but if you find that a burdon, then look into another profession rather than being grumpy old sods!
bennoxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:57   #4 (permalink)

In Adelaide the dealer i have had the best service from is Maughan Theim Ford. They are also a great sponsor of 3 of the Ford clubs in SA.

Good luck
Old 03-01-2004, 02:52   #5 (permalink)
More horsepower required

Alot of salesaman judge people too quickly , but its a common story .
I went to buy my ute after work , looking like a bum in tracky dacks ( chequebook in pocket ) and dirty oily t-shirt. After 5 minutes of waiting and overhearing 2 salesman talking dribble to each other , an elderly salesman sitting in his office , finished his phone call and asked if he could help me .
" Could I take an XR8 ute for a test drive " I asked .
" Sorry sir , there's only a sedan or a turbo ute , so if you're still interested , i'll go get something to put on the seat "
I wanted to buy the XR8 ute regardless and a drive wasn't neccesary as i'd already driven my mates XR8 sedan and the turbo didn't interest me , so I declined .
We then sat down and I paid for my ute outright . Once done , I mentioned to him about the service , and he chuckled and said he is going to give 1 of them the arse for doing the exact same thing the previous day to a women who ended up buying 2 xr8's for her twin sons' 21st birthdays .

A bit of common decency can sometimes have suprising results .
Old 03-01-2004, 02:55   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutlley
Does anyone else have problems with dealers like this? Is it because of the Ford discount? i dont get it, i thought dealers would be falling over themselves to shift cars?
Mate, they must have it written in their manuals, because some of the ones I've been to are even worse !

The other point is because they know that you are eligible for a Ford discount, then they assume that you bought your BA XT sports under the same discount, and will therefore only give you a wholesale trade-in price for your existing car. I had a similar problem when it came in to trading my AUII. Dealers want to ensure that you dont make a penny out of any trade-in, especially on a car which they assume you bought at a discount.

My advice would be to sell your BA sports privately - you should be able to get $25k-26k minimum with those sought of kilometres (you may even make a profit), and the fact its still under warranty, and then go to a dealer with a fresh slate, and bargain a better discount than what your already entitled to. I've done exactly that.

I bought a new XR6T (Feb 2004) Automatic under the Ford partner (recognition) program with premium sound and metallic paint for $42k - drive away.
Get them to though in all the accessories before you sign, else just tell them you'll walk. If they dont take you seriously - walk.

There is no shortage of Ford dealers, so you may have to visit 4, 5 maybe even 6 before you get the price you want, but eventually you will get it - trust me. Contrary to what others here say, target the large dealerships - not the small family owned jobs as they either dont have the supply (allocation) from FORD or cant offer larger/better discounts because of the low volumes they deal in.

A good first pass screening is to just call the dealers and see what the best price they can offer. If you get a good price, with some possibility to move, then tell them you'll visit them on the weekend.

As you visit each, you play them off against each other - DO NOT mention the other dealers name or location - maybe just a rough indication of suburb. I had one dealer, who after telling him the price I was being offered by another dealer said to me - "if you can get that price, go buy it". Guess what ? - I DID !, and when he rang me on Monday morning I told him I already bought one and he lost his chance - even told him the dealer and name and then ended the conversation very abruptly - he wasn't laughing then (real 'knob head').

You have to find the dealers that are discounters, not the yuppy/arrogant dealers who think they can charge RRP, and think because you wear jeans and runners (assuming its a weekend) you cant afford a new car.

Ford should start taking control of their dealerships again, because the way its going, dealers are losing alot of sales because of their attitudes. They have a good car, now they need good marketing and customer service.

My advise is dont take any crap. Shop around and screw them down as hard as you can. In business, there are no friends, just a%$#holes who want to screw you for all they can get, but remember you hold the cheque book.

GOOD LUCK DUDE !

Last edited by JamesA; 03-01-2004 at 03:06.
JamesA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 03:08   #7 (permalink)
RACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesA
you should be able to get $25k-26k minimum with those sought of kilometres
That would probably be a maximum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesA
As you visit each, you play them off against each other - DO NOT mention the other dealers name or location - maybe just a rough indication of suburb.
Jeez that's a new way of doing things. You see, people that do that make life very difficult for a salesperson. Then you wonder why salespeople are the way they are. They are only there to earn a living just like you in your job.

If I worked at a dealer in Adelaide James, I would rather you not come in and waste my time. Because in the end you get what you give.

Last edited by RATT; 03-01-2004 at 03:11.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 03:28   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Jeez that's a new way of doing things. You see, people that do that make life very difficult for a salesperson. Then you wonder why salespeople are the way they are.
Its the dealers that do the better job at making peoples life difficult - and thats why I dont take any crap. Just because I am entitled to a discount doesn't mean sales people can give me wholesale price for my existing car. I got $4k (thats 25% more) more on selling may car (AUII) privately than what most the dealers were offering me.

Quote:
You get what you give ?
I dont have to give anything other than my money, and if dealers dont like that they can go %$#%^.

Quote:
They are only there to earn a living just like you in your job.
In terms of earning a living, the rest of the working population in this country work bloody hard for their money, and some just cant afford to give it away - like it grows on trees - as most dealers seem to assume. So if a few days of research and running around can save people money - what the hell is wrong with that ?

In fact institutions like the ACCC encourage this, its called competition - GET USED TO IT.

Quote:
If I worked at a dealer in Adelaide James, I would rather you not come in and waste my time.
Thats what the dealer who said "if you can get that price, go buy it" must have thought. But he thought he could get an extra $1000 bucks off me.
Whats wrong with getting a good deal ? or do you think dealers are entitled to rip people off ! - thats exactly the attitude people have problems with.
Even on the internet the 'attitude' comes through, and its no guess that you work at a dealership.

I KNOW THE TRUTH HURTS, BUT SOMETIMES THE TRUTH NEEDS TO BE SAID.

Last edited by JamesA; 03-01-2004 at 03:41.
JamesA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 03:52   #9 (permalink)
RACE

James THE TRUTH IS THE WAY YOU SEE IT, not everyone. You have a very generalised view of them, as far as I'm concerned that's the truth. You wouldn't know the first thing about the amount of effort a good salesperson puts into his/her job so I suggest you stop putting all of them into one category.

Just like everyone else, they work bloody hard for their money putting in around 55 hours a week and sometimes 11 days straight. Try that while you are dealing with people that play you off with other dealers while lying then you will understand why it is frustrating. Competition is good for the industry there's no denying that.

Treat them like you want to be treated, but if a salesperson treats you like an idiot then walk out. Don't walk in there assuming they are a bunch of a$$holes because that is what you assume they are.

You like making money don't you? Well so do I. Anything wrong with that?

Last edited by RATT; 03-01-2004 at 03:56.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 04:06   #10 (permalink)

cool Re: Dealer problems!

Hi All.

I'm actually a Holden guy that has crossed over ( No Iím not John Edward ) any way after test driving many new S-Pack's, Super charged, SSV8's, HSV's and Club's Sports for 3 months and still not being happy.

I then started to have a think about crossing over and having a look at the fantastic looking BA I went to several dealers on my side of Town and no none of them would give me the time of day the general oppiniuon was I was to young and could'nt afford a car like that ( I'm 35 ) let alone talk to me about selling me a $60,000 plus motor car still I persisted and went to the Holden and ford show in Melbourne it was there I decided to cross over I met the Dearer Principle of New Oak Ford John, I told him of my Requirement and my desire to test drive some new BA's to which he said would not be a problem and he would have one of his senior sales people contact me on the Monday morning I thought hmmm we'll see Iíve heard that before.

True to his word I was contacted by a Mr Tony Zeeno from New Oak Ford on the Monday Morning, he straight away arranged for me to drive several cars of my choice with out them ridding shoot gun no if's no buttís no Conditions, nothing was a problem any car was at my disposal.

I found them so helpful, Kind and curties there was never ANY pressure he even encouraged me to go out and get other quotes from other dealers and come back to him.

I decided not to waste any more time and after all their help and driving several cars I made my choice ( Given the limited depth of my pocket :-) ) & gave them the order 1 week later for a FULLY OPTIONED Blue Print XR6.

It would be fair to say that I have had some problems with the car not New Oak's Fault since I took delivery the 1st week of November but the People at New Oak Ford have been nothing short of bloody fantastic, Tony and Carroll their customer service manager have been there every step of the way, nothing has been a problem, they have pulled all the right strings to have the car turned around in the shortest possible time, called me every day to keep me fully up to date with what is happening as well as contacting me after to see if every thing is ok whilst arranging for me to have a loan car every time.

Whilst handing out praise let me say that as I don't live on New Oak's side of town I have always had the car taken to Strapp Ford in Doncaster in Melbourne to have the problems sorted out, they run hand in glove with New Oak Ford which really helps heaps.

The guys and girls at Strapp Ford @ Doncaster, Peter Tantis, Bob, Irene and even the receptionist have gone over and above the call of duty in their handing of my cars problems I can thoroughly recommend them they get 10 for every thing in my book.

So to Strapp and New Oak I say keep up the good work I know where i'll be buying my next Ford.

Regards
Wayne Pryor
BluePrintXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons