Dealer Warranties - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2005, 04:20   #1 (permalink)

frown Dealer Warranties

Q. Are the extended warranties, dealers offer when selling you a car, really worth the paper they are printed on?

I take my car to a Ford Dealer here in Canberra, and they charge me $180.00 for a minor service under their so-called extended warranty harrier service.

The other Ford dealer in Canberra only charges $130.00 for a minor service, I am thinking the extended warranty is only designed to keep my custom with them. I had some troubles when trying to get stuff fixed under manufacturers warranty and I'm wondering whether the dealer warranty will actually cover any mechanical stuff that breaks etc.

What people's experience's or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2005, 17:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: Dealer Warranties

I don't like extended warranties. They are usually "offered" by a dealer to a buyer when they purchase a car, along with other extras like rust treatment, upholstery protection etc. etc. Fairly clearly, it is the dealer's interest to promote these services hand in hand with the company they have sided with to sell the products. Plenty in it for them!

For me, I'll take any statutory (Govt) warranty and I'll pass on the rest thanks. I don't want to have to have my car serviced where YOU (the dealer) says, if you want to do it yourself. If you did service your own car and something went wrong, the insurers would immediately wash their hands of you, beacuse you did not comply with the terms of the insurance. And some of the agreements run for three years, which is a long time not to be able to fix your own car.

I've heard of cases where automatic trans's have failed and because of the expense involved the insurers have become very, very slippery and hard to claim on. That said, my lad did jag a trans rebuild on his Dunnydore, but he was a bit lucky.

Watch out also for the "free" roadside assist schemes. It's free, sure, but if you call on it your car will most probably be towed to a workshop of THEIR choice, not yours. It's just a sweep net they cast to generate business for their partners. An auto club (eg NRMA, RACV) will take your car where YOU want it to go.
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 21:50   #3 (permalink)

Think back and it wasnt that long ago that when you bought a NEW Ford all you got was a 12 month or 20,000Km warranty. My new car will have 3 years unlimited Km which suits me fine as the lease is for 3 years. I may never again own a car out of warranty. Now getting stuff actually FIXED under warranty, Im glad I aint gettin a new Falcon, from what I read here.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:05   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordboy98
I don't like extended warranties. They are usually "offered" by a dealer to a buyer when they purchase a car, along with other extras like rust treatment, upholstery protection etc. etc. Fairly clearly, it is the dealer's interest to promote these services hand in hand with the company they have sided with to sell the products. Plenty in it for them!

For me, I'll take any statutory (Govt) warranty and I'll pass on the rest thanks. I don't want to have to have my car serviced where YOU (the dealer) says, if you want to do it yourself. If you did service your own car and something went wrong, the insurers would immediately wash their hands of you, beacuse you did not comply with the terms of the insurance. And some of the agreements run for three years, which is a long time not to be able to fix your own car.

I've heard of cases where automatic trans's have failed and because of the expense involved the insurers have become very, very slippery and hard to claim on. That said, my lad did jag a trans rebuild on his Dunnydore, but he was a bit lucky.

Watch out also for the "free" roadside assist schemes. It's free, sure, but if you call on it your car will most probably be towed to a workshop of THEIR choice, not yours. It's just a sweep net they cast to generate business for their partners. An auto club (eg NRMA, RACV) will take your car where YOU want it to go.
What's this insurance your talking of. I certainly dont have my car insured with any company associated with a car dealer etc. My car is insured by NRMA, including road-side assistance.

I am talking about the extended warranty (which I didn't pay extra for) given to my car on top the existing manufacturers warranty. My manufacturers warranty ran out last year, and I am now covered by McGrath Ford's extended warranty. I doubt the extended warranty will cover what the dealer says it will. If the engine died or the gearbox packed it in through no fault of my own, I would like to know the extended warranty would cover it.

Also I find McGraths extended warranty requires I get the car serviced with them at their inflated service costs, they claim my extended warranty will be void, if I have the car serviced cheaper somewhere else.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:28   #5 (permalink)

I thought McGrath's was a Holden dealer???
Old 06-10-2005, 01:01   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I thought McGrath's was a Holden dealer???
Not in the ACT they aren't, there are two McGrath Ford dealerships in the ACT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons