Dealer woes - how long should an XR8 take? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2003, 17:19   #1 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

Dealer woes - how long should an XR8 take?

Ok, I ordered my XR8 on October 29 or 30, pretty simple, all I wanted from factory was black, manual and premium sound, then tinting, scuff plates etc from dealer. Was given a 6 week turn around at the time, and was happy with that as the turbo was 3 months they said.

Right on December 1 it 'appeared' in the dealers computer so it was officially on it's way so to speak. Before this he said it takes about 2 weeks from when it enters the system to being finished so we were looking right on for the delivery time except the computer said dealer delivery would be the 23rd. Fair enough.

I'm not the pushiest person and the dealer said he would let me know if anything changed, as we were both hoping the date would change to a little bit earlier to get it all done before Christmas. Thus, when people askes me if there was any more news I would tell them 'nope'. Have you talked to the dealer to get more news? 'nope'. They all can't beleive I've got a $50 000 car on order and am being so casual about. I figure hey, what can the dealer do, if there's no news, there's no news and that's that.

Anyway, disgusted with my 'walk all over me' attitude (someone else's words) a friend mentioned a relative that works at Ford so I geve them the Sido number I got from the dealer (who told me it was useless to me but I still got it) and 'apparently' my car is still in paint and expected delivery is January 16th!!! And this person at Ford has no vested interest in keeping me happy so said honestly I shouldn't hold my breath for that date either.

This was yesterday and I was very unhappy. So looking forward to getting my car late next week or so, want to show relos at Xmas etc and am sick of driving my XF around. Putting petrol in that car is killing me.

Anyway, I rang 13FORD for the first time and gave them the Sido and they too spoke to the factory and Jan 16th is still the time and yes, it's still in paint atm. He asked for my name and dealer etc too.

I decided to ring the salesman to see if he gave me the wrong Sido or if the delivery time has changed but he was busy and has still not returned my call. This is the longest he hasn't returned a call before.

While cranky last night I also put a call out on drive.com to dealers to see if anybody has a black Xr8 in manaul with premium in stock. I don't think my dealer did that at order time, they certainly didn't mention they looked for one somewhere else in the country. I would have thought it would have been an easy configuration but lots of autos are out there. A lot of the emails didn't work and no luck so far.

I know Jan 16 will come around eventually but it's another month from now. If I find a car somewhere else can I cancel my order? I signed something at the time of order but it will be a lease car so I don't think anything has been paid, just that the finance is ok. I want this car so bad I can taste it.
Genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2003, 22:33   #2 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Re: Dealer woes - how long should an XR8 take?

I think at this point, your probably fairly much locked in. Read the contract, but unless they have some sort of clause about late delivery (which I doubt, and if so, I doubt it would be this short), your hanging in there.

That said, it is a perfect opportunity to start winging to the dealer (the higher up the better). Get your story straight (what you were told, how it was incorrect, what you did to verify it etc etc) and have a moan. You won't get the car any faster, but they might just offer you some free gear as a consolation (well to shut you up ). This maybe mats, scuff plates that kind of thing. If nothing else it keeps you amused for a while
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 23:32   #3 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

Thanx for replying.

Well, I have asked around myself and nobody does seem to have what I am after, so many cars are autos.

My salesman is very aware of my needs now and has offered a Vixen XR8 they have in stock. It has leather, which they will give me as a $500 extra only if I want it. I am VERY tempted to do this. Though I just realised that Vixen paint costs $315 less than Silhoutte....hmmm...
Old 12-17-2003, 00:13   #4 (permalink)
FF Town Sheriff

think of it this way, least you'll have a 2004 compliance.......even better.

" i will own another V8, just what type of body it's in is another question. "
philbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 00:19   #5 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebaby
Thanx for replying.

Well, I have asked around myself and nobody does seem to have what I am after, so many cars are autos.

My salesman is very aware of my needs now and has offered a Vixen XR8 they have in stock. It has leather, which they will give me as a $500 extra only if I want it. I am VERY tempted to do this. Though I just realised that Vixen paint costs $315 less than Silhoutte....hmmm...
Mate, stick with your original car you ordered. I waited over 6 months for my XR8 ute and to wait another month or so to get exactly what you want is worth it. Hang in there. As philbie says, 2004 plates are'nt such a bad thing.
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:05   #6 (permalink)
gone

Damm people

I really dont know how you can do it?

I have always worked on the principal, Go in Monday and pick it up on Tuesday!

I must admit, i have been lucky to find cars on the lot ready to go!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:37   #7 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

It isn't easy for sure. I gotta say I'm tempted to go with the red and leather, maybe 18's too.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:39   #8 (permalink)

genebaby

hang in there, it is worth the wait for the car you wanted.... don't be impatient, if you initially wanted the Silhoutte, you will always still want that colour... all good things come to those who wait... trust me, I've been there... :)

infact I have the quiet displeasure of puting my XR8 Ute to sleep for 3 weeks... 3 weeks overseas without my car... its gonna hurt... I might just go and sit in her for a few hours tonight... spend some quality time with her before we part.... I have promised her a little visit to Herrods on my return to make it up to her...
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:50   #9 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

These cars are that awesome aren't they? They just invoke so much passion in us as owners (or owners-to-be). Everybody just loves sitting in theirs!!

I gotta tell ya, the idea of red and leather is growing on me. Red is one of my fave colours, I love red guitars. I am thinkin' of talkin' a deal on a red one. I wanna go cruisin' over the holidays. I must be a weak person, the lure of the XR8 is too much.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:17   #10 (permalink)

Hang in there Gene!! Be patient and wait for the car you ordered. If you do this it may pay to stipulate to your dealer that you will not accept it unless it's an '04 complianced car. If it isnt you may be able to haggle for some extras such as 5 x 18" rims etc.

I can understand why you're tempted though.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons