Dec 05 stamped XR8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 04:28   #1 (permalink)

Dec 05 stamped XR8

I travel to the city next week to probably pick up the vehicle, hoping it's as good as the owner claims.

He says it's a 290 stamped as a 260, the

ENGINE No. FPVH5Efollowed by 5 numbers. Can anyone tell me if the engine number can determine which motor?

I would also like to know if someone has a link specific BF XR8 information.

I hope someone In The Know can spend a minute to help me with my question.
Krusty001capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 23:02   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: Dec 05 stamped XR8

I find that hard to believe. I doubt Ford would accidently put a 290 engine in then stamp it as a 260.

I don't know if that number tells anything but if it is stamped as a 260 then my guess is that the info there will be 260 info.

What made the guy think it is a 290.

To be honest I wouldn't pay any more for a car based on that anyway. Best to look at the car from the point of if you like it alot and if it is a tidy and clean example.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:36   #3 (permalink)

I'll be a bit clearer. I meant to say the person told me that it had a 290 kw engine but was badged as a 260, for insurance purposes. I thought he was referring to the Boss 260 badge/sticker on the engine cover.

I was wondering if all the modular motors started with the prefix FPV. My thoughts are that if he owned the car for a couple of years he'd definitely know which engine he had. From what research I have been able to do I think that the 290 has larger valves and dohc rather than sohc. I might be very wrong of course. I've never had much to do with newish cars in the past. Always had nice bikes and maybe an old car as well if I was lucky.

I don't particularly want the 290 engine but thought it might help with the vehicle value if I decided to sell it down the track. It has only 27k on it.

Last edited by Krusty001capta; 06-08-2009 at 03:38. Reason: Added a bit to the post.
Old 06-08-2009, 16:11   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Ok it sounds more like he has done a few mods on the engine and it now has 290kw and he has left it as 260 on papers for insurance. All the Boss engines start with FPV on the numers as they were all assembled at FPV. Both the 260 and the 290 have the DOHC heads (quad cam engine) but the difference between the them in that model range are the 290 has more aggressive cams, a higher compression and heavier duty pistons and rods. it is all internal and you wont notice much external apart from cam covers have a blue centre piece and some badging on the engine stating Boss 260 or Boss 290.

A few mods and a tune will bring the 260 up to the 290kw mark but it wont have the same internals of course.

It sounds like a nice car anyway with low ks
Old 06-08-2009, 22:40   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for that.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:20   #6 (permalink)

............and here she is:
Old 07-06-2009, 04:19   #7 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Wow that is very nice. Congrats on owning a beautiful car. Are you happy with it
Old 07-11-2009, 01:35   #8 (permalink)

Cheers mate. I'm very happy with it. It needs a little bit of THC but I've got plenty to give. It has a DVD player on the roof I wasn't expecting. I've ordered a set of mud flaps and one or two other little things. Then I'll get it serviced (at 28, 500K) and find where it's at. The engine number will clear up the 260 / 290 confusion apparently. After that I'm paying 250 dollars for a professional buff and hand polish. That will bring the unusual ("Fantasy") paint job up to standard I reckon.

I enjoy driving to work with the cruise control on 90kph, with just the occasional blast to get around slower cars. No need to rush, I just enjoy the leather interior and the ride.

At present she's a bit thirsty but a good tune up and maybe a Hi Clone will help that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons