Depreciation of gas cars - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2004, 04:21   #1 (permalink)

Depreciation of gas cars

Hi guys,
My parents have a 03 Ford Futura that is a dedicated gas setup, having just clocked 30,000 in just under a year (10 months) They have decided to perhaps sell it and get either a Terrorority or a futura/petrol.

Anyway they recently went into the ford dealership to see how much they could get for trade in for a new car. They were shocked to get $24,000 for it, obviously the car people have to make money out of it all. But that is heaps lower then what my parents anticipated. The car dealers told them that gas models depreciate a lot more then petrol cause their future is uncertain. But that is just a bit of a tail (IMO) Petrol would be more likely to be effected since its globally used and isn't just local.

Anyway, put that aside. I was looking in the papers today, and i see futura 03/ petrol with 13,000 for $31K.

Obviously my parents don't expect to get $31K.

However, this is what my dad say, would like to get $30k. But his bottom price to sell is $28,0000. (selling it privately)

What do you guys reckon?

Would it be likely or not...
taybelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2004, 04:24   #2 (permalink)
known as tibbo

Re: Depreciation of gas cars

With the exemption on LPG being removed by 2008.. gas cars are not as desirable as they were.. Not even taxi operators are buying the dedicated LPG cars so there goes a large portion of your second hand market
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 04:40   #3 (permalink)

Taxis don't have the option do they?
Sinceu ford BA's are dedicated.
I don't know about other states, but FORD BA's still dominate the taxi scene.

Yes i was concerned the tax levi on LPG would be another issue.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:38   #4 (permalink)

Dealers always give you 20%-25% less than what you can sell the car privately.

Depending on the condition, why dont they sell it privately for $26-27k ?

You will obviously need to advertise (maybe 2-3 times - on average around $50-80 each time), get a roadworth certificate (~$100), and allow people to inspect the car/test drive from your place, but at least you get more money back on the car.

Also, going to a dealer without a trade-in also gives you better chance to negotiate/haggle a better price, as the costs and overheads of accepting and then getting rid of a trade-in is also taken into account in the trade-in price.

I always throught that gas vehicles were more attractive, especially for business, because of lower fuel prices, so from my point of view its a benefit, not a minus.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:18   #5 (permalink)

Hi James, thanks for your reply.

You know sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious to other people...

We intend on putting it in the Trading post for $28,000 to see how it goes listed as pay on sale. (so you don't have to pay anything until it sales) Obviously the ads aren't as attractive. But i figured if someone is looking for the car they will find it, so a picture wouldn't really be nessasry, unless it was a sports car or "unique"(However, i could be wrong).

I guess i shall have to put it in the paper and see how it goes... but $28 does that sound a bit rich? I'm going by recent prices in the trading post.

Quote:
FALCON BA FUTURA 2003, 9mnths old, 4door sedan, mercury silver(metallic), 13,750kms, 6cyl 4spd auto, a/cond,p/steer, CD, cruise, dual a/bags, cent/locking, tint, ABS, towpack(1600kg), history, as new, genuine reason for sale, $31,000neg
Obviously our car has more KM's but, with gas being extra $1000 for installation. Thats what we based the price on... still a significant amount from RRP IMO.

What do you guys think???
Old 04-03-2004, 19:41   #6 (permalink)
must stay under 0.25 ppd.

Engines on dedicated gas cars wear less than petrol cars as they dont "wash" their cylinders of lubrication. In my opinion (and being a LPG fan) I think a dedicated gas engine is worth MORE than its petrol powered counterpart from a wear rate and cost of operation perspective.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:15   #7 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

i dont think there is anything wrong with the offer of 24k. i bought my AU forte, 1 year old at the time with 40k on the clock for $24000. the dealer had even put 17inch rims and a spoiler on it coz of the kms so it would sell. id say 24k trade in is quiet reasonable myself. who would actually pay $28000 for a 10 month old car with 30000km when you said yourself that for $3000 more they can buy it new with 0kms??
take the dealers offer and run!
Old 04-05-2004, 01:59   #8 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

According to redbook ( which is prety much the industry guide and what the dealers will base valuations off), your offer is slap bang in the middle of the road.
2003 BA Ford Future (LPG Only)
average kms 18,000 - 22,000
trade in price guide* $22,700 - $26,200
national average price - private sale* $25,400 - $29,200
price when new (RRP) $39,415

With the lower k's I would have thought you should be able to push the dealer into the $26k area . . . Either way, $10k+ is a nasty amount of cash to drop on a car for 10 months ownership . . .
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:09   #9 (permalink)

We didn't actually lose $10k on the car, we got it for $32k on the road.

However, still need to get $28k for my folks to get a new car.
Anyway, has anyone had personal experience with trading post/ or the age drive section? I was told by a many people to sell the falcon in the age because it has a different target audience to the trading post.... not quite sure about what exactly..
perhaps trading post generally attacts younger audience.
Old 04-05-2004, 21:52   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taybelZ
We didn't actually lose $10k on the car, we got it for $32k on the road.

However, still need to get $28k for my folks to get a new car.
Anyway, has anyone had personal experience with trading post/ or the age drive section? I was told by a many people to sell the falcon in the age because it has a different target audience to the trading post.... not quite sure about what exactly..
perhaps trading post generally attacts younger audience.

I would try both "The Age" (Saturday addition) and the Trading Post.

Then you just have to wait. Be patient, because it can take 4-8 weeks to sell, you just have to get the right person whose willing to pay your price.
Dont put it in the The Age every week, maybe once every 2-3 weeks as "The Age" is quite expensive.

The fact that your parent's Futura is still under warranty is big plus for selling privately. This way people feel more comfortable to make a larger purchase privately. Make sure you mention this in your add. A car out of warranty is harder to sell privately, and most people would only go for such a car from a dealer as they must offer a 5,000km or 6 month warranty under law.
Also make sure you mention any extra's (ie..spoilers, dual-airbags - I know this is standard, but many people dont know this, floor mats..etc).

The fact that your parents bought it for $32k means they will not be able to get $30k as a trade-in. If they (your parents) do insist on trading it in, then ask the dealer on the "change-over" price. Forget what they value the trade-in at - thats their problem. Focus on the change-over price and negotiate on that.

Good Luck !

Last edited by JamesA; 04-05-2004 at 21:55.
JamesA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons