difference between gt and standard falcon? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2004, 22:50   #1 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

difference between gt and standard falcon?

hey guys,

I have started to look for an xb coupe chasis, as I want to completely restore it. But I want a xb gt351. Not knowing alot about these cars, other then I love the look, I was wondering was the differnce was between the GT and standard coupe (apart from the obvious engine). Basically what im getting at, is if I buy a plain chasis then later the 351 etc... will it just be a coupe with a 351?? for example, do all the mods you want to a falcon, it will never be an xr8??

I hope this made some sort of sense, its easy to get a plain xb coupe chasis, but if its just going to be a copy, im not interested.

Cheers

steve
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2004, 23:08   #2 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Re: difference between gt and standard falcon?

I dont understand what you are saying, if it's a genuine GT you are after get all the number's and make sure they match and you can also get Ford to verify them, or check with a GT club,as there are lot's of replica's out there, allbeit good one's but not original.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 23:14   #3 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Hey Steve,

Basically the main chassis difference between an XB GT & a normal XB is that the GTs have radius rods (tramp rods) bolted to the chassis. It seems that Ford stuck them on other coupes as well so its not really a perfect answer.

Everything else that sets them apart (diff, guages, bonnet, gearbox, lights etc) can be purchased.

I'm afraid it will always be a copy though unless it has a JG66 number.

Cheers.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:41   #4 (permalink)

As the guy above said, it must have a compliance plate and chassis number starting JG66.

With GT's and ESPECIALLY GTHO's, the value and rarity of the car is in the chassis/identity. If the price is right, all the mechanicals can be easily replicated. Provinance can't.

http://www.falcongt.com.au/ID.html

Last edited by Racer; 03-15-2004 at 01:45.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:02   #5 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

thanks for the info guys, so I no what Im up against, how many genuine xb GT351 coupes were made, does anyone know??

thanks

steve
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 17:14   #6 (permalink)

there were 949 xb gt hardtops made. every gt item can be put on any xb coupe - inc. chassis radius rods(which help stop axle tramp), however ive seen two different methods of mounting them onto the chassis. Ive got a dec 73' fairmont coupe which now has all the gt gear onboard, it all fits no probs.
FAT351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 22:40   #7 (permalink)
The Big Yellow Cruizer

A Fairmont Coupe has the JG 67 numbers on them and is only 1 # more!
Nobody can see from the outside what it is .
The Fairmont also has a fair bit more trim on it than a Poverty pack or a 500, Honeycombe, Bottom window S/S etc.
The shape and drivability is what sets them apart and in the end if you put every bit in to make it a GT then you are in a lot of cases better of to get a real/completely sorted out one .
A genuine GT XB is for sale here in Perth with Aussie Muscle cars as it is the car of a friend of mine for $25000 and well worth it.
WAXBFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 23:46   #8 (permalink)

Also , Factory XB 351 body shells had extra reinforcement panel under front crossmember .
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 05:00   #9 (permalink)
kickerinthegutsbarry

What do you mean by a reinforcement?

apolloxbgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 05:22   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt
What do you mean by a reinforcement?
It's like an oblong shape , shallow box section panel spotwelded underneath front cross member instead of being flat panel . Hard to explain but easy to identify once you have seen both types.
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons