Difference in kW measurement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2004, 23:37   #1 (permalink)

Question Difference in kW measurement

Recently i was talking to mates and the topic got onto power output of various commodores/falcons. Most of them are holden fans, and seemed to think that ford measured power in a different way to holden. Is this true, and if so, how does it differ?
Blocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2004, 02:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: Difference in kW measurement

naa they are just fags
it all depends on where you get the power reading from, either the flywheel, or the wheels. the source where you get your power reading from, should be either fwkw (flywheel) or rwkw(rear wheels) or just say kw, where it can be unsure. bhp to is also at the flywheel

King spring super lows, monroes all round(also planning on getting a whiteline suspension kit, the works)

2 1/5 inch sports pipe
k&n filter insert (do not buy this, it is really worthless)
eb gt bodykit in respraying process, looking to go on soon minus spoiler.
looking for a set of s/h rims.

IF ANYONE HAS A BOOT LIP SPOILER THEY DONT WANT......
3bfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 02:12   #3 (permalink)
rau
Don't Know Much User

This area was brought up by holden when the barra's first came out, apparently there a two different setups to read power at the wheels on the dyno, ford uses a different setup to holdens which read a higher figure than what it should be, the difference is very minimal e.g 10kw at the engine. If it was true then it means that say the current SS would read 255kw instead of 245kw if measured on Fords setup. But then just about every dyno is different to everyone elses. My EB read 120rwkw at one place and 130rwkw at another, either way it still performs the same.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:19   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocko
Recently i was talking to mates and the topic got onto power output of various commodores/falcons. Most of them are holden fans, and seemed to think that ford measured power in a different way to holden. Is this true, and if so, how does it differ?
They are actually correct, well until recently I believe. Ford measure their einge power in DIN rating which as far as I understand is without accessories such as power steering, A/C etc. Holden on the other hand has measured their engines in SAE rating (I think) which does have accessories. So if a ford and holden are both rated at 200kw, the holden actually has more power. But as far as I understand, this has changed recently to allow the HSV range to be marketed up against the 290kw GT.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 00:57   #5 (permalink)

how much power would accesories such as AC and pwr steering use?

Last edited by Blocko; 08-08-2004 at 00:58. Reason: Grammar
Blocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 01:05   #6 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Okay HSV still use SAE standard power rating although their website lists both SAE and DIN figures now, so the HSV 285kw engines are actually 292kw DIN, which means 7kw for accessories.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 01:15   #7 (permalink)
BOFH

The Barra's are all measured WITH accessories, the EB-AU were measured without! (Strangely, the EA was measuered like the BA) This also accounts for why the BA I6 runs significantly higher dyno rwkw's than the EB-AU's even though advertised fwkw is not that much more. If it were measured like the EB-AU I think you would see the BA I6 pumping out close to 200fwkw's.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 05:11   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
The Barra's are all measured WITH accessories, the EB-AU were measured without! (Strangely, the EA was measuered like the BA) This also accounts for why the BA I6 runs significantly higher dyno rwkw's than the EB-AU's even though advertised fwkw is not that much more. If it were measured like the EB-AU I think you would see the BA I6 pumping out close to 200fwkw's.
THe EB-AU has always been measured in DIN which is with accessories, alternator, a/c etc. Infact SAE days is long gone disappeared in the late 1970's i think.

The BA is right on the money at 182kw at the fly. If you look mechancially you can see where the power has been made with better stock exhaust, filter and DOHC as well as crank revisions.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 05:50   #9 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

isnt bhp brake horse power...

horse power at the brakes/rear wheels?

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

http://home.iprimus.com.au/diablo_vt/xeesp.swf
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:16   #10 (permalink)

i think its bore horse power... i am probly wrong thow lol
lowrida56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons