digital speedo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2004, 04:02   #1 (permalink)

digital speedo

Hey guys,
Well with all the different speed limits at the moment and the speedo in my 1966 xp ute not being exact i was thinking about installing a digital speedo, maybe mounted on the steering coloum. I found this one here from Jaycar: CLICK HERE
Just wondering if any one has used one of these or something similar and how successful it was.
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2004, 04:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: digital speedo

i used a push bike speedo years ago, it was good, mounted sensor on rear brake drum and magnet on rim, it gave me speed, distance, time ect and calories burnt LOL
i had the fittest car around. had no light tho
Old 08-31-2004, 08:07   #3 (permalink)
a.k.a Superoo on IRC

hahhaha just work out the conversions you memories the k's to miles sooner or later
Old 08-31-2004, 19:21   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy-Bear
hahhaha just work out the conversions you memories the k's to miles sooner or later
lol yeah after enough speeding fines you soon learn. I'd be interesting in something similar too. Mines about 25-40kph out on the speedo due to my 4.11's.

Brenden
Old 08-31-2004, 20:20   #5 (permalink)
Mulberry Rain

Likewise... I'd be intersted in setting one up that requires no modding of the dash... a cordless one would be ideal :)
blueraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 02:05   #6 (permalink)
a.k.a Superoo on IRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
lol yeah after enough speeding fines you soon learn. I'd be interesting in something similar too. Mines about 25-40kph out on the speedo due to my 4.11's.

Brenden
just get the cog for ya box lol its on the end of ya speedo cable repco or the like tell u got a say 6cyl falcon 4spd 15 inch tyres and 3:45 ratio they give you the appropriate cog
Old 09-01-2004, 04:14   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy-Bear
just get the cog for ya box lol its on the end of ya speedo cable repco or the like tell u got a say 6cyl falcon 4spd 15 inch tyres and 3:45 ratio they give you the appropriate cog
I don't. I have an auto with 4.11 gears and 16" wheels. They don't have the correct cog to get it right. The manual cog is very different to an auto. Especially for a C4.

Brenden
Old 09-04-2004, 18:41   #8 (permalink)
Origi-Bulge (tm)

We've got a place in Geelong called Howards Intruments, they do all that sort of stuff. Getting your Speedo right, Gauge Works is another in Geelong.

Dredd: i went into Howards Instruments because mine is out too (1970 xy), they asked a few questions and when they found out how old it was, they said that the speedo gear in the tranny wears, giving an incorrect reading. So just replace that and she'll be apples. I havent worried about it too much, because at the moment its pretty much exacly half. ie. 100kp/h reads 50mp/h on my speedo, or a little bit over, so if i sit on 50mp/h im just under the speed limit, keeps those demerit points off my licence, and my pay in my wallet.

There would have to be somewhere in Melb that does the same thing.

Cows would live a lot longer if they weren't made out of steak and leather
Klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:28   #9 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

that and the fact that its not just a direct change over you have to change both cogs the one on your speedo sender and the one on the shaft in your gearbox,
it comes down to the roll out diameter of your tyres and your diffratio
Old 09-10-2004, 05:26   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just about to install a centura diff into the ute soon, followed by a 250 with an auto in about a month so i might wait until i get all that in and take in from there.
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons