discussion on Camber Caster Kits - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2005, 20:07   #1 (permalink)

discussion on Camber Caster Kits

The question is "Do you really need them?" and "why not just replace the short bolts with longer ones?"

Here is my story and research.

Everytime I went to get a wheel alignment (no matter where) the alignment garages spotted that my Fords EB and Ef did not have the camber caster kits fitted. It was always "you need camber caster kits fitted as bla bla." It was amazing how many different stories I have heard over the years.

Remember, their objective is to get your money into their pockets. Thats the way the world is today. Being in Business seems to grant a licence to be dishonest. This is not always the case as I know there are a lot of honest business people around still (not many).

Anyway, being an Engineer and dual mechanical tradesperson myself, I decided to change out the camber caster kits on my first car, the EB.

There was nothing wrong with the bush, however the threads had run out on the original kits inside the engine bay. I spoke to Ford Engineers and was convinced that rarely would Fords need these kits replaced. Maybe in a Friday car or a car that sustained an accident. But the wheel alignment guys never did a good job, I guess because i wouldn't get them to change them out. Of course the replacement kits had longer bolts. So at a cost of some $165.00 (labour Free) I changed them out. Whether they needed replacing or not it had stopped them nagging and the wheel alignment is now holding better than before, because they had no reason to do a bad job so that next visit they would get a sale.

I used Nolathane parts. However, when I had the old kits beside the new kits I discovered the only difference was the bolt lengths. The spare parts goons told me the camber angles had changed and other crap to prevent me from changing the bolts over. We checked the angles, no difference. The wheel alignment guys told me different stories. The facts are they are no different so why go to all that cost like I did to change the camber caster kits. As the bush and bolts were ok I would suggest other people knock out the short bolts and replace with longer bolts and weld them in. Of course use a grade 8 bolt and do a good job at welding. Thats what I am going to do next holidays to my second car, the EF.

Remember the moral of the story; money is designed to leave your pocket and enter the pocket of others, at whatever expense or propaganda.

I would be interested to hear your views. Maybe I will send this one of to my mates at "Myth Busters".
keep research is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2005, 03:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: discussion on Camber Caster Kits

The bushes do wear out , I just replaced them in my car and they were about 5 years old.

Also the fords are prone to sagging in the towers which can be caused by every day driving, just think of how much punishment they take.
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:36   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep research
The question is "Do you really need them?" and "why not just replace the short bolts with longer ones?"

Here is my story and research.

Everytime I went to get a wheel alignment (no matter where) the alignment garages spotted that my Fords EB and Ef did not have the camber caster kits fitted. It was always "you need camber caster kits fitted as bla bla." It was amazing how many different stories I have heard over the years.

Remember, their objective is to get your money into their pockets. Thats the way the world is today. Being in Business seems to grant a licence to be dishonest. This is not always the case as I know there are a lot of honest business people around still (not many).

Anyway, being an Engineer and dual mechanical tradesperson myself, I decided to change out the camber caster kits on my first car, the EB.

There was nothing wrong with the bush, however the threads had run out on the original kits inside the engine bay. I spoke to Ford Engineers and was convinced that rarely would Fords need these kits replaced. Maybe in a Friday car or a car that sustained an accident. But the wheel alignment guys never did a good job, I guess because i wouldn't get them to change them out. Of course the replacement kits had longer bolts. So at a cost of some $165.00 (labour Free) I changed them out. Whether they needed replacing or not it had stopped them nagging and the wheel alignment is now holding better than before, because they had no reason to do a bad job so that next visit they would get a sale.

I used Nolathane parts. However, when I had the old kits beside the new kits I discovered the only difference was the bolt lengths. The spare parts goons told me the camber angles had changed and other crap to prevent me from changing the bolts over. We checked the angles, no difference. The wheel alignment guys told me different stories. The facts are they are no different so why go to all that cost like I did to change the camber caster kits. As the bush and bolts were ok I would suggest other people knock out the short bolts and replace with longer bolts and weld them in. Of course use a grade 8 bolt and do a good job at welding. Thats what I am going to do next holidays to my second car, the EF.

Remember the moral of the story; money is designed to leave your pocket and enter the pocket of others, at whatever expense or propaganda.

I would be interested to hear your views. Maybe I will send this one of to my mates at "Myth Busters".
True, the only difference is the bolt lengths but just remember that the minute you change the bolts & weld in new ones you void any warranty & also you would lose your insurance cover in the case of an accident. $165 doesn't seem so much! Mal. (PS: Mythbusters rule).
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:30   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufLTD
True, the only difference is the bolt lengths but just remember that the minute you change the bolts & weld in new ones you void any warranty & also you would lose your insurance cover in the case of an accident. $165 doesn't seem so much! Mal. (PS: Mythbusters rule).

Hmmmm...interestering. I recall other cases whereby insurance companies look for excuses to waive insurance cover. Thats fine if they can prove that the said item was a direct cause of the accident. So don't let big brother scare us. We are now in an era where we are working for the fuel companies, so lets try not to let the spare parts industry get in on the act.
keep research is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons