Ford Forums banner

Does mods void our warranty?

4K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Luke 
#1 ·
Check this out...

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/story_page/0,8269,8210710%5E21822,00.html

I am very confused by the following [direct cut and paste form article]

--------------
When asked about the DJR car, Ford Performance Vehicles spokesman Andrew McLean had no comment, while Ford's Andrew Ellis said any modification would void Ford's warranty.

Herrod says the cars will be covered by a three-year warranty.

“What we've done shouldn't be detrimental to the car at all,” he says.
--------------

Ford saying warranty will be void... Herrod saying it won't be? What the?

#2 ·
I changed my headers and exhaust and put on cold air induction to improve my fuel economy they cant void my warranty for that..
LOL

#3 ·
I am under the impression that the ford dealerships that offer and supply herrod mods, warranty them. Its for this reason that i may be changing the dealership that services mine (where i bought it) to one which doesnt mind the herrods gear because i do want a few things done... Just make sure you check first, depending on your location.

Cheers,
Matt

#4 ·
r00na said:
I am under the impression that the ford dealerships that offer and supply herrod mods, warranty them. Its for this reason that i may be changing the dealership that services mine (where i bought it) to one which doesnt mind the herrods gear because i do want a few things done... Just make sure you check first, depending on your location.

Cheers,
Matt
Like you , I am changing for this very reason . Considering that Herrods is recognised and used by Ford , I would have thought there would be no problem at all .
Some dealers have no clue at all , and it will cost them in the long run.

#5 · (Edited)
My dealer always told me that it all "depends on what kind of mod"

For example, if you installed a catback system and the radiator dies, then your warranty on the radiator will not be void. However if your cat convertors go kaputz, then they "could" refuse warranty as there is a direct relationship to the mod. If the muffler or pipework goes kaputz, then it is the exhaust joint who will cover the warranty.

I am a little scared about getting an intake system. That leaves the engine vulnerable to any warranty claims.

What is the process of switching dealerships? Is it just paperwork?

#6 ·
fullthrottle said:
My dealer always told me that it all "depends on what kind of mod"

For example, if you installed a catback system and the radiator dies, then your warranty on the radiator will not be void. However if your cat convertors go kaputz, then they "could" refuse warranty as there is a direct relationship to the mod. If the muffler or pipework goes kaputz, then it is the exhaust joint who will cover the warranty.

I am a little scared about getting an intake system. That leaves the engine vulnerable to any warranty claims.

What is the process of switching dealerships? Is it just paperwork?
No paperwork . Just ring around and find which dealership honours warranty claims with Herrod products , then change . After all , where you take your car for servicing/warranty is entirely up to you , as long as its a Ford dealer.

#7 ·
I personally wouldn't worry about any work carried out by Herrod's their stuff is top notch and he stand's by his work, if any trouble shall occur I'm sure they would be only to helpfull to sort it out,as for dealer's that's the problem, find a good one who know's and accept's Herrod's product's.

#8 ·
galaxy xr8 said:
I personally wouldn't worry about any work carried out by Herrod's their stuff is top notch and he stand's by his work, if any trouble shall occur I'm sure they would be only to helpfull to sort it out,as for dealer's that's the problem, find a good one who know's and accept's Herrod's product's.
:fluffy:/\/\/\ WHAT HE SAID /\/\/\:fluffy:

#9 ·
Mum has talked to our dealer about Mod's and there reply was "if it's Herrods its fine" as long as herrods does the mods to the car ford doesn't care as far as our dealer was concerned, and they don't evan sell the herrod products.

#10 ·
I think people have missed my point here. I'm not concerned about who does the mods. I'm concerned at Ford's stance on modifications. As it clearly states in that article "Ford's Andrew Ellis said any modification would void Ford's warranty." This article was in relation to the DJR XR8. So clearly he is saying that the DJR's warranty are void?

Why does it matter who does the mods anyways? If the engine goes "bang" would Ford really void my warranty just because I had my exhaust done as Joe Bloggs from Toorak instead of Herrod?

More confused then eva :eek:|

#11 ·
240 T said:
Mum has talked to our dealer about Mod's and there reply was "if it's Herrods its fine" as long as herrods does the mods to the car ford doesn't care as far as our dealer was concerned, and they don't evan sell the herrod products.

You serious? I better double check with my dealer. I would have thought that it was Ford Australia who honour the warranty and not the individual dealerships, and therefore the rule would apply to everyone independant of which dealership you went to.

#12 ·
fullthrottle said:
You serious? I better double check with my dealer. I would have thought that it was Ford Australia who honour the warranty and not the individual dealerships, and therefore the rule would apply to everyone independant of which dealership you went to.
IF the dealer dont tell Ford about your mods how are they ever going to know??

#14 ·
XRFPV8 said:
IF the dealer dont tell Ford about your mods how are they ever going to know??
Well you could put them on your signiture on FF or discuss them with others on the forums.
How about have your car, complete with number plates featured in a "Street Machine" style mag detailing all the mods and you best times when racing....
Maybe giving the mechanic at the dealership a hard time because your car is 2 hours late from it's service due ..

Of course NONE of this has EVER happened to ayone I know personally.

#15 ·
flappist said:
Well you could put them on your signiture on FF or discuss them with others on the forums.
How about have your car, complete with number plates featured in a "Street Machine" style mag detailing all the mods and you best times when racing....
Maybe giving the mechanic at the dealership a hard time because your car is 2 hours late from it's service due ..

Of course NONE of this has EVER happened to ayone I know personally.
hi flappist you have made a good point but Worse still most of you guy’s who have gt’s list the number of your car as you have done.

#16 ·
Some dealers have no clue at all , and it will cost them in the long run.
Very true Fordhead, my tonnoue cover on the tray is screwed and any speed over 60 makes it stretch up at least 8 inches... looks like crap so i took it off, the head service guy said it was normal... hehe cant wait to say goodbye to them.

Gotta love Herrods .

cheers,
Matt

#18 ·
Okay I thought I would give Ford a call myself to find out where we all stand with this issue.

Ford will void warranty on parts that are impacted as a result of the modification done. In the case of where warranty is claimed (a major one), one of their technicians will investigate the extent of the modifications (if any) and if it could have contributed to the failed item.

So there you go... leaves it pretty open to debate.

#19 ·
fullthrottle said:
Okay I thought I would give Ford a call myself to find out where we all stand with this issue.

Ford will void warranty on parts that are impacted as a result of the modification done. In the case of where warranty is claimed (a major one), one of their technicians will investigate the extent of the modifications (if any) and if it could have contributed to the failed item.

So there you go... leaves it pretty open to debate.
This is the same story I got from a few dealers , including Ford HQ. I asked a direct question regarding TSI /unichip setups and failures .The bloke refused to answer why they failed , but said he's seen a few which fried the engine management. I don't know wether to believe this or not , but before I go getting one installed , I'll do a little more homework and enquiries .
As for the exhaust and intake , i'm getting it regardless .

#21 ·
bossxr8 said:
Of course Ford would say the DJR cars won't have a waranty, they don't want to lose sales of FPV's because of them. Just seems like Ford are trying to scare people who are thinking of buying a DJR 320 instead of a GTP. Just seems like sour grapes.
yeah the young poeple tell me the DJR 320 Cars No:1 Ford for street cred....
.:rockon:

#22 ·
Straight from the horse's mouth:

Modifications

“Ford does not warrant the workmanship of, nor any material, part, component, assembly, equipment or accessory (unless such material, part, component, assembly, equipment or accessory has been supplied or approved by Ford for the purpose) used in, nor any defect caused by, or attributable to, or to the use of, any Modification not carried out by, or at the direction of, Ford. For example, if the Vehicle has been converted for the use of Liquid Petroleum Gas Ford does not warrant the conversion nor the workmanship of the conversion nor any material, part, component, assembly, equipment, or accessory used in the conversion (unless such material, part, component, assembly, equipment or accessory has been supplied and approved by Ford for use in the conversion) nor any defect in any Part of the Vehicle which results from or is attributable to, or to the use of, the conversion, but otherwise the Ford Vehicle Warranty will continue to apply with the respect of the Vehicle during the Ford Vehicle Warranty Period.”

#23 ·
bossxr8 said:
Of course Ford would say the DJR cars won't have a waranty, they don't want to lose sales of FPV's because of them. Just seems like Ford are trying to scare people who are thinking of buying a DJR 320 instead of a GTP. Just seems like sour grapes.

So bloody true and it I will let you decide where the focal point of this issue is.

Sad really

#24 ·
fullthrottle said:
Straight from the horse's mouth:

Modifications

“Ford does not warrant the workmanship of, nor any material, part, component, assembly, equipment or accessory (unless such material, part, component, assembly, equipment or accessory has been supplied or approved by Ford for the purpose) used in, nor any defect caused by, or attributable to, or to the use of, any Modification not carried out by, or at the direction of, Ford. For example, if the Vehicle has been converted for the use of Liquid Petroleum Gas Ford does not warrant the conversion nor the workmanship of the conversion nor any material, part, component, assembly, equipment, or accessory used in the conversion (unless such material, part, component, assembly, equipment or accessory has been supplied and approved by Ford for use in the conversion) nor any defect in any Part of the Vehicle which results from or is attributable to, or to the use of, the conversion, but otherwise the Ford Vehicle Warranty will continue to apply with the respect of the Vehicle during the Ford Vehicle Warranty Period.”
why didnt you just refer us to the service manual lol...

#25 · (Edited)
Surely Ford must have known before hand about the DJR XR8 cars. Dick Johnson wouldn’t upset the management at the blue oval to much, because he must receive a fair bit of money and support from Ford Australia to run his DJR Motor Sport Team in the V8 series. He wouldn’t want risk that I don’t think.
Everyone knows Dick Johnson as a true blue Ford legend.. I don’t know why Ford & FPV didn’t approach Dick and released a full factory backed Dick Johnson vehicle, with a 3 year warranty.. they should think a little bit more about marketing. Dick Johnson would still have to be one of Fords best marketing tools, but it looks like Ford missed a good opportunity, now that DJR & Herrod have came up with a mighty fine package……

thx

#26 ·
I've had the windows tinted which I can't see being a problem.
I've had the Herrods Suspension done at the Ford Dealer which isn't a problem.
I've had the rear muffler replaced by two large resonators which I've been told by the Dealer isn't a problem.
I do know that it doesn't take too much to start stretching the relationship with the Dealer. I'd say the best thing to do is keep them informed (and the insurance company for that matter).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.