Does my car have an electrical problem? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2004, 13:52   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Does my car have an electrical problem?

Currently she's done about 26000km so its coming up to 30,000 service so I think I can wait until then however, i'm beginning to think my car has an electrical problem.

In the first 15,000km my car blew both front headlamps (low beam). I have now been driving on 1 low beam light for about 500km.

I've noticed since new that in lower frequency AM radio stations (774 for example) I can hear the engine through the loud speakers.

WIth the higher AM radio stations 1377 I can hear the windscreen wipers going (FM by its nature is protected against such electrical interference - typically).

I'm curious as my partners XR has not had a single failed headlamp, nor does it have the same issue as my radio. Nor does the dealer loan cars (XR6 auto and a XT wagon) that I have had when mine has been in for a service, nor has the rental that I had for a weekend in Sydney (a Futura).

Has anyone heard of these problems before? or might I have a legitimate complaint? (which I will bring to the dealers attention 1 week before dropping it off for service).

While blowing headlamps is more annoying than anything, 3 in under 30,000km is unacceptable, the radio feedback is certainly wrong - and if its "NORMAL" or "THEY ALL DO THAT" which they clearly don't.... it is a truly bad case of poor electrical design and isolation.

Thoughts?

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2004, 13:59   #2 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Re: Does my car have an electrical problem?

By the sound of it, I'd say its an isolated case. But as for the cause? gods knows, could be as simple as one connection a little bit loose somewhere. or a small earth leak (not quite a full short circuit) where a wire has been pinched.

I agree, if they call that normal, then its a pretty crap car.
If they do go down this route, it should be easy enough for you to get them to see yours is not normal, by taking them round the yard and checking out all the cars there as a comparison.

Hope it goes well when it does get to the dealer.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 14:14   #3 (permalink)

Short answer, probably yes.

I have a BA and get engine speed related noise on the AM band.
Fairly minor but certainly present.
On mine sounds more like alternator related rather than ignition, but definitely related to engine speed.
No problem with noise from other sources, no problem on FM or CD.

On yours it's probably poor bonding of a ground connection to the body somewhere.
Old 02-23-2004, 16:09   #4 (permalink)

Ian,

If you have premium sound, then electrical interference is a known and common problem with no fix as yet. Interference gets worse the more you load up the electrical system. For example, use your demister, wipers, headlights & driving lights all at the same time and you'll see what I mean. Can't comment on the other stuff (but it might be related.
Rabbit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 16:22   #5 (permalink)

I have had trouble with blowing headlight globes on the AUII XR6. Done probably 3 sets in 30000k, but lights are just about always on. When the last one went i replaced both with Wurth Plus 50 globes and they have lasted the best so far 15,000ks and better light than standard too but a bit more expensive.

Good Luck
Old 02-23-2004, 19:35   #6 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermono
Short answer, probably yes.

I have a BA and get engine speed related noise on the AM band.
Fairly minor but certainly present.
On mine sounds more like alternator related rather than ignition, but definitely related to engine speed.
No problem with noise from other sources, no problem on FM or CD.

On yours it's probably poor bonding of a ground connection to the body somewhere.
It sounds similar to that - engine speed related as the amplitude and the frequency change as the revs build (very easy to notice when in a car park for instance).

So could be earth leakage from the alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit27
If you have premium sound, then electrical interference is a known and common problem with no fix as yet
Must admit though I do notice it more when the driving in the rain (demisters/heater/wipers and lights going).

I wonder why the globes keep blowing though.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:21   #7 (permalink)

The feedback through the audio unit may be due to a poor earth in the aerial amp securing bolt which is located behind l/r c pillar trim. Have your dealer look at it. If it's overtightened it will destroy the amp.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 14:14   #8 (permalink)

I've seen plenty of BA XR's with blown headlights.
bennoxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 03:31   #9 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

my old AUII blew 3 headlights within about 3 months... buding the whole 3 yrs i owned it.. never happened again tho. so i presume the OEM globes where just crap.

:)
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 16:10   #10 (permalink)

Hi All,

The engine noise through the sound system will be there forever with no fix. I have a v8 ghia, and added Boston speakers all around, and upgraded the amp. The noise inteference got worse. Had the inputs to the amps run down the transission tunnel, the power on the drivers side and the outputs back to the speakers on the co-drivers side.

Used shielded cable through out and now the high pitched hum is negligible, but as you guys said, load it on a rainy day with demister, etc on, you will hear the click of the relays on and off intermittent wiper come through the sub. Spoke to FORD CRC, and FMS audio, they said it was in all cars and I have minimised the problem as much as I can.

Territory
Silhoutte Ghia
babluf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons