ea falco wont start after head replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2005, 17:17   #1 (permalink)

ea falco wont start after head replacement

ea falcon turns over but wont startI replaced the head on my ea falcon and the spark plugs I went from NGK to Bosch and now the car wont start turns over beutifully though. I have checked the base timing and ignition timing both are spot on I have replaced the alternater and made sure all hoses and lines are correct my compressiion is very good on all cylinders have checked it both ways one plug at a time and all plugs out at one time
Skippyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2005, 17:20   #2 (permalink)

Re: ea falco wont start after head replacement

I replaced the head on my ea falcon and the spark plugs I went from NGK to Bosch and now the car wont start turns over beutifully though. I have checked the base timing and ignition timing both are spot on I have replaced the alternater and made sure all hoses and lines are correct my compressiion is very good on all cylinders have checked it both ways one plug at a time and all plugs out at one time.
forgot to mention I do have plenty of spark it is a bit weak and a bluish orange not a straight blue like it should be
Old 11-22-2005, 20:06   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyt
I replaced the head on my ea falcon and the spark plugs I went from NGK to Bosch and now the car wont start turns over beutifully though. I have checked the base timing and ignition timing both are spot on I have replaced the alternater and made sure all hoses and lines are correct my compressiion is very good on all cylinders have checked it both ways one plug at a time and all plugs out at one time.
forgot to mention I do have plenty of spark it is a bit weak and a bluish orange not a straight blue like it should be
pull no one plug and check for tdc with compression then cheack cam and ignition timing again , I suspect you may have something out of timeing..
Real easy to do .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:43   #4 (permalink)

thanks for that I should have thought before to check TDC with plug out my harmonic balancer had slipped car is running now but is boiling hot within 10 minutes so now I have to figure that one out
Old 11-24-2005, 04:19   #5 (permalink)

The Harmonic Slipped?
Not possible, it has a keyway to lock onto.
More likely that you slipped a tooth or two on the timing Chain.
IF i am correct in what you have done (highly likely have done it myself ), then there are two ways to fix it.
Properly or patch it. (patching it will work if you haven't slipped too far)

Properly involves redoing the head, dropping the sump a little, pulling the harmonic, and timing cover.

Patch method.
Pull #1 plug, and set TDC from the hamonic. You should confirm TDC with a piece of welding wire down#1 plug hole.

Pull the rocker cover and see if the exhaust and inlet rockers are free (not under pressure). If they are not free, then you need to remove the timing sprocket and rotate the cam until they are.
This method IS NOT 100% reliable, as you can still be a tooth out.

When doing this, and any work where you unbolt the Cam sprocket it is IMPORTANT to keep tension on the chain at ALL times, as it is so easy to slip a tooth on the crank end.

Another thought (excuse me..had a few jars ) Have you run through the timing procedure????
Did you have to move the Dizzy much? In theory you should not have had to touch it, unless it was already out. If you had to move it a fair bit, it is a good indication that you slipped a tooth or some on the timing chain.

Timing WILL affect temperature.

If you didn't re-time the engine, find the procedure and check it....you may be surprised.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:39   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyt
thanks for that I should have thought before to check TDC with plug out my harmonic balancer had slipped car is running now but is boiling hot within 10 minutes so now I have to figure that one out
if getting hot then you have the ignition retarded , advance it until the motor is hard to start ( once started it will hunt ) and then discover either the outer ring on the balancer is spun or the cam timing is out by a tooth or two .
on tdc the piston will be fully up and the cam lobes on no1 rocking and balanced across the lobes , then check the actual distributer timing , you do have a manual ?
the rotor will point out over the a/c pump and to the front a little
read the manual and good luck
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons