EB Falcon Fairmont Flooding.won't start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2007, 00:58   #1 (permalink)

Question EB Falcon Fairmont Flooding.won't start

I have a 1993 fairmont EB wagon that is driving me crazy!!!!
It used to start Ok but the trick was{according to the previous owner] Not to ,under any circumstances touch the accelerator whilst cranking it over. If this ever occurred then you had to walk away from it for at least an hour sometimes Overnight!!! Well this was OK i guess, so i observed the golden rule and all was fine for months . Went out one day and the "Pig" refused to start...Must have accidentally touched the throttle i thought so i waited the appropriate time and bugger me it just refuses to kick! ..Fuel is definately getting through as you can smell it like as if it's flooded..
Any ideas where to start troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.
The only thing i can think of that happened was to run low on fuel a few times but as i said there is plenty {too much it seems} of gas flowing
Hammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2007, 07:12   #2 (permalink)
fordmech

Re: EB Falcon Fairmont Flooding.won't start

Before even trying to guess or make a suggestion, what kind of engine is it ? 3.9L, 4.0L, six cylinder, v8, E.F.I., C.F.I., Is it running on LPG also or just petrol? There are too many variables here and the list of problems is different for each of them.
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 19:09   #3 (permalink)

Hi there
It's a 4 L E.F.I. engine running on unleaded petrol
Cheers
Old 06-27-2007, 03:46   #4 (permalink)
fordmech

Ok then. I'm assuming you've done all the basic checks ( air/fuel filters, spark plugs AND leads) and that your car seems to run fine after you get it started. My next step would be to check the coil and distributor module. Based on the fact that you smell fuel while trying to start, it IS actually a good idea to press the throttle all the way to the floor while cranking, as this disables injection while still giving you spark. If your car floods for whatever reason this is the best way to get rid of excess fuel. When you check for spark, make sure it can jump a decent gap, as this coils sometimes give you a tiny spark when you test them but it's weak and nowhere near enough to work inside the combustion chamber.
marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 19:58   #5 (permalink)

Thanks ...Will give it a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons