Ford Forums banner

EB XR8 - Few questions !

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  X.treme.F.ury 
#1 ·
Hello all !

I am just about to purchase an '91 EB XR8.

There is a few problems with the car, and one of them being the sump gasket.

The car is leaking a lot of oil from the gasket, and I was wondering if it was possible to be changed if the car was up on ramps. Is the sump hard to get off ?

Would it just be the sump gasket, or is there another problem in there that could be causing it. The seller said it is definately the sump gasket, but I like to be sure.

The car is very straight, always been garaged etc. I'm getting it for $5k, what are you opinions, anything else I should check?

The k's are 212000. I took it for a test drive and is unbelivable amount of power compared to the LPG XF. :p

The brakes are a little soft, so probably just need a bleed.

I'm so excited. :D

See less See more
#3 ·
manual or auto?

#5 ·
Stock it should be a little faster than a VT or VY V6, it is a pretty good price you getting it for. You planning any mods for it? Or does it have any already?

#7 ·
it could also be rear main seal..... or it could be leaking oil out the dipstick (exessive blowby causes this - pops the dipstick out a little and blows oil out and everything) - if its this it will need a rebuild. as for weather that is in 100 kms or 100,000 kms who knows.

just looking on my V8, if it is the sump gasket i'd reckon it'd be hard to change with the motor in the car.

#11 ·
Don't take my word as gospel, but I will tell you my experience with the sump :D

Now, I am not sure if you mean just the sump, or whether you mean there is an actual "sump gasket". (You have to bare with me as I am not very mechanical-able) However, if you need access to the sump, you will need to lift the whole engine out :( It's a pretty big job if it needs to be done properly. I myself have a fecked sump that I should replace (has taken a big bashing), but it will cost over $600 for the mechanics to replace. Something to do with the "K-Frame" anyway.

Hope some of it helps.

#12 ·
Trent was telling me he reconditioned his bottom end with the engine still in the car, so it may only be a day's work.

Anyway, congrats on the buy mate - sounds like an absolute bargain!

PS we want pics. :p

#14 ·
I have just recently done a rering on a EA and it is posible to replace the sump gasket whilst the engine is still in the vehicle. Car has to be on stands and it is 6 bolts and the x-member falls down, all that you require then is a jack to seperate from car a bit further...........Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.