EB2 parts costs? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2002, 00:46   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
crYnOid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hobart
Posts: 166
Question EB2 parts costs?

It looks like I have found a EB2 in good condition and as long as the mechanical check is given the all clear on Monday I guess you guys will have a Holden guy on your side

But it does have a small problem or 2 that I would like to fix. First it only has one remote for it, as the other one is lost. The one that is left looks like it has been dropped one to many times, and is being held together by sticky tape. The battery seems a little flat to as you have to be close to the car for it to work. How much would a new remote cost? I would probably get 2 if they aren't to expensive.

It is also missing the rubber ring from around the antenna, i assume that would be nice and easy to get from a wreakers? or new?
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-17-2002, 01:28   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego
 
Troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,188
Sounds good! About the antenna surround, it would cost basically nothing from a wrecker, especially if you were buying something else at the same time.

Not sure about the remotes though.
__________________
Jack Travis, E-Series Acting President

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 01:53   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Lamb on Chapel, Chapel Street.
Age: 28
Posts: 2,893
I think the remotes cost about $75 or something in that price range. Xyphoids modifications page has detailed instructions on programming a new remote to the system.

Then again, there is a product made by 'Rhino' or something that can pick up the existing remote's signal and program it self to follow it's code.

Good thing is, you can program 4 things to the Rhino remote ie. a garage door or home alram. They cost around $30 here at Dick Smith stores, I don't know if they have them in Tazzy!

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 04:00   #4 (permalink)
fordman2002
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Don't worry bout little stuff like that... thats small change(though getting another remote maybe hard).

Check the windscreen for any chips, cracks or marks, especially near the drivers side. They are really strick on drivers vision these days and they WILL make you change the windscreen before you can get it roadworthied.

The main rust points are at the top sides of the winscreen and rear windscreen and you can check it by pushing the sealing rubber across a bit. If there is any flake then you'll probably need to take the whole windscreen out to fix it which will you more money. Also rust sometimes occurs in the sills infront of the doors... have a close inspection to see and paint lumps where rust maybe coming through.

Get under the car and check the suspension bushes... you will probably be only able to see the sway bar arm bushes but check that none of the suspension components are bent or damaged. If the sway bar bushes look old and crusty, chances are the rest of them are the same and have never been changed. You will probably need to change these as it will affect your ride, even though they will still give you a roadworthy. Check the shockies by bouncing the car up and down at all four corners of the car, pushing down and then letting go.... watch the car... if the shocks are good the car will come back up to height and stay there with one movement, not bounce up and down by itself a bit more.

Check the engine bay for any oil leaks, these occur mainly at the rocker cover, but if there is oil at the bottom of the car this is probably a oil pan leak which will be a pain to ever fix(need to take engine out). Open the bonnet and start the engine and listen to any weird sounds the enine makes... rev the engine up and if there are any metal grinding noises one of the bearings for the belts need replacing. Also any continous *tick tick tick* noises means a tappet needs replacing.

Take the car for a drive just around the block and see how the engine runs, and make sure that the transmission(if it's a auto) doesn't kick when going up gears as a new 4 speed Auto for a EB will cost you $1800 New. Also listen for any "whiney" noises the car might make, as this usually means one of the wheel bearings or differential needs replacing.

Remember suspension and engine repairs in the future will what cost you BIG money unless you plan on doing it yourself. You should check all this stuff yourself and not just rely on a mechanic who probably goes over it quickly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 06:39   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
crYnOid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hobart
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally posted by fordman2002
Don't worry bout little stuff like that... thats small change(though getting another remote maybe hard).

Check the windscreen for any chips, cracks or marks, especially near the drivers side. They are really strick on drivers vision these days and they WILL make you change the windscreen before you can get it roadworthied.
Thanks for your reply :)

I think i should point out that I live in Tasmania, the land of where the average car age is about 11 years old. You can get anything register down here and it doesn't need a roadworthiness inspection. My dads kingswood you couldn't register in many other states, but it isn't a problem down here. There are random roadside inspections and they are the only ones that the cars down here go through as far as i know.

There are plenty of stone chips in the bonnet, but the windscreen is in excellent condition.


Quote:
Originally posted by fordman2002
The main rust points are at the top sides of the winscreen and rear windscreen and you can check it by pushing the sealing rubber across a bit. If there is any flake then you'll probably need to take the whole windscreen out to fix it which will you more money. Also rust sometimes occurs in the sills infront of the doors... have a close inspection to see and paint lumps where rust maybe coming through.
Thanks for the tips. Will look at that when i see the car next (monday).


Quote:
Originally posted by fordman2002
Get under the car and check the suspension bushes... you will probably be only able to see the sway bar arm bushes but check that none of the suspension components are bent or damaged. If the sway bar bushes look old and crusty, chances are the rest of them are the same and have never been changed. You will probably need to change these as it will affect your ride, even though they will still give you a roadworthy. Check the shockies by bouncing the car up and down at all four corners of the car, pushing down and then letting go.... watch the car... if the shocks are good the car will come back up to height and stay there with one movement, not bounce up and down by itself a bit more.
When i said 'mechanical check ' i ment by our local mechanic who we trust. He has been very very good with picking up problems with all the cars that we have. Will check the shockies on monday.


Quote:
Originally posted by fordman2002
Check the engine bay for any oil leaks, these occur mainly at the rocker cover, but if there is oil at the bottom of the car this is probably a oil pan leak which will be a pain to ever fix(need to take engine out). Open the bonnet and start the engine and listen to any weird sounds the enine makes... rev the engine up and if there are any metal grinding noises one of the bearings for the belts need replacing. Also any continous *tick tick tick* noises means a tappet needs replacing.
Checked under the bonnet, and it has a new rocker cover gasket. No oil leaks where visible as it had been detailed and the engine steam cleaned so i couldn't see any :/

No strange noises that I could here. To be honest the car had me worried sometimes as it was so much quieter than i'm use to. The kingswood makes a hell of a lot of noise . I though the engine wasn't running when I was sitting in it. hehe.


Quote:
Originally posted by fordman2002
Take the car for a drive just around the block and see how the engine runs, and make sure that the transmission(if it's a auto) doesn't kick when going up gears as a new 4 speed Auto for a EB will cost you $1800 New. Also listen for any "whiney" noises the car might make, as this usually means one of the wheel bearings or differential needs replacing.

Remember suspension and engine repairs in the future will what cost you BIG money unless you plan on doing it yourself. You should check all this stuff yourself and not just rely on a mechanic who probably goes over it quickly.
Already took it for a test drive and it was for more than a block :). the gearbox seem perfect as I couldn't feel it change gears at all, kind of disturbing and annoying when i'm trying to hear it, and count which gear i was in.

I couldn't hear any "whiney" noises either. As a matter of fact I couldn't even hear any noises like creaking coming from the dash. I does seem to have some real cheap brake pads on the front discs, as they squeal worst than bus brakes when cold, but going down a few hills heated them up and they went quiet from then on.


This is not just a standard GLi either. For some reason this GLi has what seems to be factory fitted ABS AND Cruise Control. Where these even options on a 92 EB2??
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 05:48   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
crYnOid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hobart
Posts: 166
ok, it's update time. Got the car checked out and it has a few problems but luckly nothing major. So here is the list:

Oil leaks a front(majorish) and back(minor) of engine and back of transmission(seal i believe), and replacment of oil damaged parts
Eye level brake light (globe)
RH headlight deflector is cloudy(replace)
Brakes machined
Cooling system flush
Boot locking mechanism doesn't release properly
auto trans pipes been cut then repaired (wtf?)
Carbon flush
Engine tune
Front and rear shocks need to be replaced

The only 2 major problem are really the oil leak at the front of the engine and the shocks, but the shocks aren't really bad so i can live with them for a couple of months. Everything else either isn't major or is just recommended to be fixed/done by our mechanic.

The oil problem is the only one that has got me a little confused. Not knowing much about these cars, I have very little idea of what could be leaking oil at the front of the engine. The oil has got on the rubber belts(making the p/s sound like it is struggling under load) and has almost completely destroyed the RHF castor rod bushes(i think that is what it is). When I first looked at the car the guy selling it said that it had just got a new rocker cover gasket. The damage to the castor rod bushes looks pretty bad as it is just falling apart. So i assume it had been in contact with the oil for sometime. Is it just me or does it sound like the rocker cover gasket has been dropping a fair bit of oil over the front of the engine, maybe for a last year or two(i don't know how long it would take to make castor rod bushes fall apart after exposure to oil) and that was the source of the oil?? I hope so because that will save me a few $$$

Just for reference a new remote for an EB2 sedan is $82.50 in tassie, and i don't know if that includes programming.

Edit: Just checked Xyphoids page, great work mate, very handy :), makes programming the car for the remote sound easy.
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 09:07   #7 (permalink)
fordman2002
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
If it looks like a major oil leak it may be the oil pan and that will be hard to fix(though mechanics might be able to do it with the right equipment to lift motor a bit). A oil leak will probably only damage the bushes you were talking about, but you should also check the alternator and make sure it's not oil soaked... mine has become oil soaked and is somewhat dodgy now.

I wouldn't worry too much about the transmission pipes being cut, as long as they don't leak at all it won't matter as they aren't vitually important and are only cooling pipes running to the radiator for the transmission.

For the front headlight, replacing it because it's cloudy is a bit far fetched...sounds like the kinda dodgy stuff they tell you on the mainland for roadworthies to make more money, if i was you i'd take it out and clean the inside of the lens not replace it. There are only 4 screws holding it in, 2 at the front one behind and one on the radiator side. I'm pretty sure there are only clip things holding the glass to the back plastic part, so you may want to take the glass off. If it looks too hard to take the glass off just remove the bulbs and put some soapy water in there and then rinse it and leave it out to dry. Should be nice and clear then.

By the sounds of it you are a new EB owner :bs4:
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 16:14   #8 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Adelaide, SA
Age: 31
Posts: 1,375
On a less important note, the surround grommet looking thing for the antenna is like under $1 from Ford as a genuine part. I only know that because some little so-and-so decided to steal mine, from memory it was about 50c!!!
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 18:38   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
crYnOid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hobart
Posts: 166
we don't think the leak is coming from the oil pan as there plenty of oil above the oil pan. We think it may have had quite a bit of oil sitting under the rocker cover and when it was removed it dropped that oil all over the place. I think this has made it look more major than what it really is.

Thanks for the other tips guys :) will pick up and rubber grommet thingy when i get the new remote. And cleaning the headlight myself sound easy enough

And i'm not an EB owner......................... yet I have to wait 5-8 working(!!!!!) days for AMP to get the money out of my investment account, so I won't get it till friday at the earliest, but probably middle of next week :/ It sucks waiting
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 04:32   #10 (permalink)
Donkey Kong yay
 
Froggyspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sydney
Age: 48
Posts: 142
re

i think that oil leak is coming from the front timing cover seal,where the crankshaft joins the harmonic balancer.
they cost around $8 from ford
and the rear oil leak is the rear main seal,common problem on EA's
Froggyspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford To Open New Parts Distribution Center RPO83 Ford Worldwide News 0 01-22-2003 05:20
TALK FROM THE TOP: Ford Motor CEO cuts costs, not product Stacy94PGT Ford Worldwide News 0 11-18-2002 08:35
Ford And Sema Go 3d To Improve Quality Of Performance Parts RPO83 Ford Worldwide News 0 11-05-2002 05:52
Ford to Buy $1 Billion a Year in Chinese Auto Parts by Mid-2003 Stacy94PGT Ford Worldwide News 0 09-18-2002 08:07
Spare Parts...What Happens To Them. GTHO4 The Pub 5 02-12-2002 20:36

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:52.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.