EBFairmont - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2003, 10:54   #1 (permalink)
EBman

EBFairmont

Assuming the inspector gives the thumbs up, I'll soon be in possession of a $4,000 93 EBII Fairmont. It looks in pretty good condition, so assuming that is the case, have I got a good deal?

I also noted it had an immombilizer other than smartlock and the apparent absense of smartlock. Is that possible? Was it standard or optional on that model?

EBman
EBman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2003, 13:56   #2 (permalink)

The price is good provided the car is ok :)
The first EB][s didnt have smartlock!

Good luck man, I hope the car passes the inspection!

PHoeNiX_
PHoeNiX_EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 19:36   #3 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I think 10/92 the eb2 got smartlock
Old 04-14-2003, 08:32   #4 (permalink)
EBman

I'm after a car with ABS. It apparently has it, but silly me didn't test it and there's no ABS label on the back. I'll make sure I know for sure before I sign but I can't stand not knowing.

I'm also aware the digital dash was apparently phased out with the series II model, but the series I didn't have ABS.

Could it be a 3.9 litre version of the series II and did they have an ABS option?

It doesn't have the 4.0 labels on the side which I think coincided with the new engine.

This isn't that important, but can smartlock be fitted to an early series II and if so, how much would that cost?
Old 04-14-2003, 08:56   #5 (permalink)
400 kg ego

G'day and welcome ABS was first available on the EB II Fairmonts where it was optional, and then it came standard with the ED. There were no 3.9 series IIs, and as you stated they had analogue instruments. Smartlock can be retrofitted to cars which lack it, but it might be better just to get an aftermarket security system.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:47   #6 (permalink)
EBman

Despite what I was told, a few little factors suggest the car is not a "1993" EBII with a 4.0 and "ABS", but rather, at best, an early "1992" EBI with a 3.9 and "no ABS". Maybe it's still a good deal, maybe not, but it's not what I'm after, so I'm not getting it.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:02   #7 (permalink)
now with EF power!

My EB series 1 doesnt have 3.9 labels, and none of the others that I've seen have, but every series 2 that I've seen has had the 4.0 badges on them.

Just a quick question, (im not paying you out or anything) buty why do you need ABS? Its not that hard to brake really quickly with a non abs vehicle and not lock the wheels.... If thats why you said you needed it of course :)

Thanks

Dane.

Mods List:
Kenwood head deck, Rockford Fosgate Punch Sub and Punch Amp....and hubcaps!!

My Gallery!
Proud TQE Operator
danege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:43   #8 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Itll say what it is on the plate/tag thingo in engine bay.
And on bottom of back window for ABS usually

ABS i think is worth having. Gives steering if you manage to lock it up. If something happens suddenly your just gonna slam the brakes, dont usuall yhave time to think of braking in a controlled manner.
Saved my dad not long ago, a P-plater chic (no supprises) pulled out and stopped in middle of road- he locked it but easily steered round her.

Jase
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 09:06   #9 (permalink)
donuts2001

Quote:
ABS i think is worth having. Gives steering if you manage to lock it up. If something happens suddenly your just gonna slam the brakes, dont usuall yhave time to think of braking in a controlled manner.
Saved my dad not long ago, a P-plater chic (no supprises) pulled out and stopped in middle of road- he locked it but easily steered round her.
True, but he shouldn't base his entire buying decision based on whether it has ABS. 4 Grand for a EB Fairmont sounds pretty damn good to me. Put on some slotted discs and a set of brembo's at the front, a good set of tyres, and that should solve any of your braking problems
Old 04-15-2003, 09:13   #10 (permalink)
EBman

The main reason for ABS is a little incident I had in my old Nova a few years back. The main ingredients were a wet road, and a bit of a hill. Well at least enough of a hill to hide the traffic congestion up ahead. The raining might have also made it a little hard to see. Oh yeah and I wasn't speeding. From the time my head finished processing what my eyes saw, I could have pulled up in time on a dry road, but as it was wet I ended up locking up and spinning 180 degrees. The only thing which was hurt was my pride.

OK, so a bit of advance driver training might have helped me not spin, but looking back I think the spin saved me from hitting the car in front. A better option however would have been to steer into the next lane which had a bit more room. No that's not how the spin started. If my memory serves me right, a slight misalignment started it off and a bit of panic did the rest.

OK, so I haven't done that in 7 years since and in the 10 years since I got my licence, I could count the times I've had to brake hard enough to lock up with my fingers. Even then I doubt I would be counting all of them.

If I look at it from a probability point of view, it's not worth it. If I look at it from a safety point of view, it can't hurt and may one day come in handy.

Moving away from ABS though, I want a 4.0, not a 3.9. No reason. Just personal taste.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons