EBII V8, ED XR6 or EF/EL w/mods - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2003, 03:05   #1 (permalink)

EBII V8, ED XR6 or EF/EL w/mods

G'day all just need some advice.

I'm going to be in the market for a Falcon in a couple of months: Some kids stole my ute about a month ago and wrote the thing off. I'm getting about $4500 for the car, but I'm going off with the Army for 4 months so there's no point buying another car just yet. By the time I get back I'll have the $4,500 and another couple of grand to throw towards the car, call it $7K all up.

I'll be getting a sedan this time round, and I want something that'll go fairly hard. I was thinking probably an EB v8 or maybe an ED XR6, couple of mechanics I know reckon I'm begging for trouble buying a 10 year old XR6 as it'll have been flogged it's whole life and they cost a mint to keep on the road. I'm leaning towards an EB v8 given the engine's are a lot tougher than the old I6 so I won't be pulling the head/s off every 3 or 4 years, they don't use that much more juice than the 6 and because with extractors and a decent exhaust they go pretty well. I've gone down the warm 6 path before, but never had an 8.

I'd appreciate some opinions.

Cheers,

Mike
XF__UTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2003, 03:21   #2 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

Re: EBII V8, ED XR6 or EF/EL w/mods

mate how would a mechanic say your beggin for trouble buying a ten year old xr6... theyre tuff as nails and it all matters how many kays theyve got on them!!! and how could they presume theyve all been flogged and cost a mint to keep on the road??? bit of bs i reckon!!! sounds like the mechanics want u to buy a v8 so that when u go to hot it up it'll cost u a fortune to do and then end up with your cash!!!
and seriously they dnt do their head gasket every 3 or 4 years, if u look after them and re torque the bolts they'll be fine... these mechanic are feedin it to ya mate and i think your swallowing it hook line and sinker!!!
and i tell ya now a XR6 with extractors and a decent exhaust will keep up to a v8 with extractors and exhaust anyday, if not beat it...and wont cost u and arm and a leg!!!
these "mechanics" are feedin u bs mate... sounds like they gonna make some money out of it too...

For Sale: 2001 Yamaha WR400F
PM me for info
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 15:17   #3 (permalink)

If you've never had a V8 before go the 8 you'll love it
Old 12-06-2003, 16:45   #4 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Not all ten year old xr6's are going to have been flogged.
Yes maybe driven hard, but the owners of these sort of cars usualy keep up the maintainence, and they are usualy better, because they have good suspension, etc.

It really annoys me that some mechanics Presume stuff like this.
They might be getting on, but most are still very good reliable/fun cars.
Ive had my ED XR6 for 5.5 years, and an XG XR6 before that,so i think i know a little about them.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 20:45   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I personally would go the V8 but that's preference. There is nothing wrong at all with the 6s at all. The EB is older than an ED and unless it's been owned by a grandpa it's been flogged every day of it's life.
A standard fairmont type EB v8 is a slug and will need exhaust and intake ( what the Xr8 got ) to keep up. Proper extractors, not the fabricated headers the V8s came with start to make a real difference. After that you need to start playing with heads and cams to go further..but the XR6 already has that to a degree.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 22:27   #6 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

^^^^^^^ - what TIKFD6 said!!!

For Sale: 2001 Yamaha WR400F
PM me for info
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 03:02   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

The best way with any 2nd hand car is to test drive and look carefully at the condition of the car be it a V8 or Inline 6.

Both are inheritently tough provided you know what their problems are and do some preventative maintenance. On the drive side both are fun in there own ways, and just because i own an XR6 i still think a V8 is also good fun to have, it's just that it's a different taste just like red wines and white wines.

For a car thats over 3-4years old, teh way to go is to look at the cars condition and take the best condition in both engine, exterior and interior.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 03:48   #8 (permalink)
goooone

If you haven't had a V8 get one. The XR6 is a great car yes but there is something about a V8 everyone should own at least one in there life.
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 05:38   #9 (permalink)
disarm you with a smile

Firstly, ED XR6 for 7k? Dreamin'

I've got an EL Fairmont 6 - I am in love with it - so comfortable and gives me all the power I need - between 1st and 2nd gear it hammers - just when I want it to - gives me the power when Im in traffic basically - great car if you like em
Old 12-07-2003, 20:47   #10 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

No, he isnt dreaming, but at that price it will be a high k shitter.

There is a few getting around for that price.
you will have to spend around $10000 for a good one with reasonable k's.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons