Ford Forums banner

ECU reprogrammer needed

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  vulpine 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am new to this tech forum, and have a plea for help.
My old XC 351 runs a Holley, which shows how out of date my knowledge on hotting up cars is.

I have recently replaced the 3.9L in my ED LTD with an 4.0L , 80,000km , 170KW XR6 engine, just to get rid of the self-destructing 3.9L head.
What I was not told by the slightly less than honest wreckers was about the need for a new ECU or to reprogram my ECU to deal with all different parameters. The LTD ECU plugs are so different that it would be extensive rewiring to fit the original XR6 ECU, so a reprogram it is.

I need to get in touch with a reputable ECU reprogrammer somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia. Can anyone reccomend a place ? I dont expect to get a 9 second monster out of this, but I would be a lot happier if not being overtaken by mums with prams.

Alternatively, I may be willing to try doing the reprogram myself, if any flash writer can do the job, and there are lots of simple instructions available on which parameters to alter and how. Any suggestions ?

Thanks guys,
LTDloser.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Ford EEC isn't that easy to reprogram, your only real option for the 6cyl is to get a chiptorque chip (off the shelf programing) for $600, a unichip for around $1200 installed and tuned or an full aftermarket computer.

What car did the XR6 engine come out of, I assume seeing the EEC won't fit that it comes from an EF or EL? The engines are basically the same except for the BBM manifold, so I can't see any real tuning issues. Obviously the EEC won't switch the manifold runners over so you won't have that benefit but it should still run reasonably well.

#3 ·
I hear the XR6 came out of an EL, but since I never sighted the car, just the engine, I have to take it on faith. The original intake manifold had only the one plenum, not a split system - would this make the chiptorque EEC chip suit any better?
Do you know of anywhere in South Australia that would have these EEC chips available ?
Do you know of any DIY options for reprogramming ?
Thanks, LTDloser.

#4 ·
There are DIY options for some V8 Ford EEC's but not the 6cyl. Road and track dyno do the chiptorque chips but the chip wont do anything for the intake runners, you will need to use an rpm based switch to change the runners instead of the EEC, then run a chiptorque with EL type tuning and you should be ok.

#5 ·
tweecer etc havent been adapted to the six cylinder eec-iv that i know of. that would have offered a piggyback system cheaper.
best off just getting the ems meant for the engine for a few $, and doing the rewiring.
there are a lot of sources that give you the pin outs both online and in the shops.
I guess I should say that CAPA does do a modified TWEECER for the six. It is about $600 and they do the programming, but that isnt to say it will work without doing the rewiring anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.