ECU Surge Protectors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2003, 08:56   #1 (permalink)
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)

ECU Surge Protectors

G'day guys.

I just bought a Matson standard-duty AntiZap surge/spike protector today (it's a permanent mount one - wires to the terminals of your battery). Buying one first and asking questions later is rather illogical, but Im gonna do it anyway.... :)

So; what do you guys reckon of...
--The specific unit that I bought
--Surge protectors in general
(are they necessary/good/bad, any negative aspects to 'em, some better than others, any thoughts opinions on the matter at all)

I personally figure that (jump-starting excluded), you should never really have surges/spikes in your electrical system, but I also figure that they are still possible, and it'd only take one to maybe wreck your ECU. I also see no negative aspects to the device I bought, so I figure overall it's worth having.

That's my opinion at the moment, I'd love to hear some others.

Thanks guys.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2003, 14:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: ECU Surge Protectors

Steve,

I suppose it depends on how many ECU's have died from voltage spikes. Maybe we have an auto electrician on here that can answer.

How much did it cost? If it safely allows jump starting, it may be worth the money. And the sureity of "no dramas" in car battery charging would be good also.

cheers
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 03:32   #3 (permalink)

Cost $24.95 usually (I got it 20% off @ Supercheap though).

Yeah, I think jump starting is the main idea. They have models which just clip on your jumper leads to protect while starting, but I figured the permenant model has the added advantage of protection all the time which might be good for (like you say) when changing batteries etc. and general protection.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:37   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for that, didn't even know they existed.

cheers
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 05:07   #5 (permalink)

No probs.

BTW, I shoulda put this link up - www.matson.com.au

Steve.
Old 12-28-2003, 15:58   #6 (permalink)

Hi Guys,
Well for that price I think its a good idea.
I recently bought a XR6 El manual ecu and stuffed it !
I was repairing my clutch bracket as it had split and as I was putting it back and tightening the nuts up with my ratchet, the ratchet touched the only piece of bare wire that was probably 1cm wide and spiked it ! So bye bye ECU......
Anyway its a good idea if it works.

Regards
Shane
Old 12-31-2003, 05:30   #7 (permalink)

G'day Shane,

Bugger about the ECU mate! They wouldn't be cheap either.

As I've said, I too think they are a good idea but I guess it's the sort of thing that you never really know if it works - only if it doesn't! :) Matson seem to have the best reputation for these sorta things though, so I'm pretty confident (and a mysterious flashing light under the bonnet at night is pretty cool 8-). Next time I get some spare cash I may buy another one and just pull it apart to see how it works - looking at the type of circuit would be the easiest way of telling if they're effective.

Steve.
Old 12-31-2003, 16:20   #8 (permalink)

Next time ill unplug battery and ecu! LOL just to be sure

Regards
Shane
Old 12-31-2003, 17:16   #9 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

I've got a cheap "spike protector" that came with my jumper cables. It only has very small gauge cables and has LEDs that indicate the charge state of the battery. Personally (and this is only an opinion formed from visually inspecting the things) I don't think it would do much - but what do you expect from a freebie I guess. Nevertheless considering they are so cheap... why not. Even if the unit fails and shorts the battery terminals (hopefully it is fused anyway - but you could externally fues it) you're not likely to damage other equipment on the 12v rail, just stress the battery a little :s5
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 20:56   #10 (permalink)

G'day !Gn|T|0n,

As I understand it, spikes in an electrical system are actually voltage spikes, not current spikes, which means you shouldn't need heavy cables to carry them (the heavier cable, the more current it can handle, but small wires like on the spike protectors can still carry ten's of thousands of volts if it's at bugger-all current), so the light gauge wires shouldn't be an issue. I don't think the physical size of the unit should matter either really, based on my theory as follows...

In 240VAC spike protectors, the best units out there use MOVs (Metal Oxide Varistors). These are only very small devices, but are effective at absorbing quite large spikes/surges. (NB. any spike protector is a self-sacrificing device - if it absorbs too big a spike/surge, it will be destroyed, but will still usually save the circuit it's protecting in doing so - this is why I like unit's like the Matson ones which have a flashing light to indicate it is working. If the light stops flashing, you know it's absorded too many/too big a spike/surge and needs to be replaced (or your battery's too flat :) - without the light, you never know if you still have protection). I think they can be so small because it's simply just a variable resistor basically.

I think how they work is; As the voltage goes up, the resistance goes down, so when you get a sudden increase in voltage, the resistance across the terminals decreases enough that the amount of current being used goes up and therefore pulls the voltage back down. This usually happens very quickly and breifly, so large current usage/heat dissipation is insignificant.

Your point about the unit shorting the battery terminals if it fails is a good one. I dunno if they're fused internally (I think they pretty much are due to the nature of the circuit being able to act the same way as a fuse (?)) but I muy put an external fuse on anyway like you suggest. Have to find out what fuse wouldn't affect the unit's operation, but you could just go a pretty big fuse anyway.

Sorry for rambling on :) I just like sharing opinions and figuring out how this stuff works. Please note: all of the above opinions/theory of mine is pretty much a guess and may be in no way accurate. I won't really know until I pull the units apart I spose.

Steve.

Last edited by Steve_T; 12-31-2003 at 21:02. Reason: Spelling corrections
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons