ED Falcon Vs. VR Commodore - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2004, 02:39   #1 (permalink)
Hey its me

confused ED Falcon Vs. VR Commodore

My friend Has a VR, he thinks it's top shit although all it has is a 2 1/2in sports exhaust and the 3.8L V6. My ED has a 4.0L stock in just about new condition, does anyone know what would happen over the quarter.
EDclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2004, 03:39   #2 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Re: ED Falcon Vs. VR Commodore

You might loose.
Is either car manual?
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:29   #3 (permalink)

I think the VR would Win easily. Don't under estimate how potent the 3.8 is off the mark. Low down torque, low wieght and a good 1st gear ratio. This is the major advantage of the Commodores (VN to VS). The 2.5 inch exhaust exploits this even more. If the VR is a manual forget even trying to beat it.
mongoose3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 05:07   #4 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

The exaust may exploit some power, but they never sound good.
Old 03-10-2004, 19:22   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDclass
My friend Has a VR, he thinks it's top shit although all it has is a 2 1/2in sports exhaust and the 3.8L V6. My ED has a 4.0L stock in just about new condition, does anyone know what would happen over the quarter.
Hmm being a VR, it has 127kw. I think off the line he will get the jump but you'll catch him by about 90-100km/h and you'll pipe him over the 1/4.

Remember it's 148kw in the ED.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 21:12   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Remember it's 148kw in the ED.
Power at the fly isn't always everything, remember its getting the power to wheels, fast. The commowhore has a better torque converter (in the autos) and the first gear is pretty good....but yeah I agree with you, the ED would beat the VR, VR's are nothing special....even if it has the exhaust mods.....it only helps it breath better higher in the revs...say after 70km/h in that time you will be just ahead (with your low down torque, which falcons have always had) and you reach max power lower down the revs....you would beat him hands down after 80km/h but thats if one of you doesnt pull out (illegal street drags etc.....)
fOrD mAn Xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:04   #7 (permalink)
AKA: Spaniard

Like what was said above, it's how much power are at the wheels and the weight that counts.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:07   #8 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

We still dont know what gear boxes are in these cars.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:25   #9 (permalink)
Found On Rubbish Dumps

Without being biased, I tend to lean towards the ED (permitting both are manual or both auto). My cousin has an ED fairmont ghia 4L and my girlfriends boyfriend has a VN Exec V6 wagon (which judging from popular opinion is quicker than a VS). I've driven both and having done acceleration tests in the vehicles (both auto), the ED actually feels livlier and is travelling just under 10 km/h quicker at the 400m mark.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:32   #10 (permalink)
Found On Rubbish Dumps

I tend to lean towards the ED judging from the fact that my cousin has an ED ghia (auto) which I've driven back to back with a VN wagon (auto). The ED felt much livlier and after doing an acceleration test over a marked distance (approx 300m), the ED was travelling about 7km/h faster consistently over three runs. Not only that, after stepping out fo the ED ghia and driving the VN, it felt very agricultural to drive (vibration etc) into the bargain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons